Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 2009 Kobe bryant vs 15 Steph Curry

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    15 Steph isn't better than Kobe in any area he wouldn't be better in his rookie season.

Kobe is the better player because at the time at least....he could still play well above average defense. He may turn it off and on...but he had elite defense in him. Curry can play defense but hes not someone you just tell to go lock up _____ even in stretches. Plus whatever Currys offensive ability he isn't better on that end than prime Kobe.

And in 09 Kobe still had 35ppg talent...but he had no reason to push it there.

You could argue Steph had a better season because that isn't the same thing as best player...

But id say they had pretty similar years and Kobe was the better total player because he was all time great on offense and a solid to great defender while Curry is all time great on offense....and is merely an acceptable defender.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Iggy was great this year carrying the Warriors to the Chip

15 Steph isn't better than Kobe in any area he wouldn't be better in his rookie season.

Kobe is the better player because at the time at least....he could still play well above average defense. He may turn it off and on...but he had elite defense in him. Curry can play defense but hes not someone you just tell to go lock up _____ even in stretches. Plus whatever Currys offensive ability he isn't better on that end than prime Kobe.

You could argue Steph had a better season because that isn't the same thing as best player...

But id say they had pretty similar years and Kobe was the better total player because he was all time great on offense and a solid to great defender while Curry is all time great on offense....and is merely an acceptable defender.
    always with the "he had it in him" for Kobe

He had 35 ppg in him? How? On what? 43%? There needs to be a bit more information than pulling that random number out of nowhere, since 2009 Kobe clearly didn't have the abilities of 2006 Kobe.

I still agree, 2001, 2003, 2006-2009 Kobe > 2015 Curry.

Not 2010 Kobe though.

Curry

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Agreed all the way up to "merely an acceptable defender"

2015 Curry was #1 in steals without too many risks and #15 in defensive win shares last season (DeAndre Jordan #1, Draymond #2, M Gasol #3)

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...light-defender
    In three games against Curry, Westbrook shot far below his averages, at 32.9 percent from the field and 26.3 percent from deep

The opponents he guards have shot just 36.8 percent on the season. He's averaging a career high in steals and a career low in fouls.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I don't think I'm going to credit a great defensive teams 5th best defensive player for causing an off night to an opposing superstar. I didn't call Curry a bad defender he's just not someone you were going to pick for the express purpose of getting you a stop.

Kobe before he got completely old would absolutely have been selected for that task by many NBA coaches. its an OK defender versus a good defender who has the potential to be a stopper at need.

When it's a wash offensively I don't see how I come to the conclusion that the worse defender is the better player.

I don't think it's a knock to be a worse overall player than prime Kobe.

The only people to be flat out better than pre washed up Kobe are all time elites.

you could argue a few people who aren't put on that level were as well but they were pretty much all destroyed by injury when they were on that path.

Very good NBA starter

I don't think I'm going to credit a great defensive teams 5th best defensive player for causing an off night to an opposing superstar. I didn't call Curry a bad defender he's just not someone you were going to pick for the express purpose of getting you a stop.

Kobe before he got completely old would absolutely have been selected for that task by many NBA coaches. its an OK defender versus a good defender who has the potential to be a stopper at need.

When it's a wash offensively I don't see how I come to the conclusion that the worse defender is the better player.

I don't think it's a knock to be a worse overall player than prime Kobe.

The only people to be flat out better than pre washed up Kobe are all time elites.

you could argue a few people who aren't put on that level were as well but they were pretty much all destroyed by injury when they were on that path.
    Why are you talking about what Kobe could do? Curry was a + in DRAPM which means his team defense was up to par.

Decent college freshman

A little mulatto girl isn't better than Kobe

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Why are you talking about what Kobe could do? Curry was a + in DRAPM which means his team defense was up to par.
    What he is saying is that Kobe coasted more than Curry did on defense for the most part, but when needed too he could lock down people harder than Curry. I agree with what he says for the most part but the numbers don't lie, Curry is a pretty solid defender. Non biased eye test from the last season shows this too. Curry hardly gets burned and almost never loses his man. Curry has very fast hands and nearly leads the league in steals.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    What he is saying is that Kobe coasted more than Curry did on defense for the most part, but when needed too he could lock down people harder than Curry. I agree with what he says for the most part but the numbers don't lie, Curry is a pretty solid defender. Non biased eye test from the last season shows this too. Curry hardly gets burned and almost never loses his man. Curry has very fast hands and nearly leads the league in steals.
    Agreed but you can't judge people on what they could do. Curry could of played 37 mins and averge more points stls and asts

Kobe the superior player during his prime in majority of all aspects of basketball. This is disrespectful to even think of making this comparison. Curry peak might not even be top 50 in NBA histroy.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Cold soul
    Kobe the superior player during his prime in majority of all aspects of basketball. This is disrespectful to even think of making this comparison. Curry peak might not even be top 50 in NBA histroy.
    Bs Last year Curry put up similar numbers to alot of Kobe years.

If 2009 Kobe and 15 Steph Curry are comparable

Then so are 1996-1998 Jordan and 15 Curry

Last edited by catch24; 10-14-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Curry is becoming one of the most overrated players to ever play

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Curry is becoming one of the most overrated players to ever play
    Whats overrated about him?