Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Where does Duncan rank all time if he gets #6 this year?

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    duncan has 2 alpha rings

1 co lead in 2005

1 gasol ring in 2007

1 odom ring in 2014

and if he won next year

1 horry ring in 2016

enough overrating this guy please
    Lol if 2005 is a "co-lead" ring then Kobe doesn't have a single "alpha" ring.
    2000: Fisher ring
    2001: Gasol ring
    2002: Gasol ring
    2009: Co-lead ring
    2019: Co-lead ring

Thanks Kenny, I'll kick Kobe out my top 10. Duncan stays at 6, debatably 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii

Bankaaii

Depends on how well he plays.

He'd go up higher for playing like he did last season and not winning it all than he would if he did win a ring playing like his 2011 self (not that I anticipate that happening).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I don't think I"ll ever get why Tim Duncan is so overrated. People seriously saying if the Spurs won he could be top 5? Jesus christ...

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    I don't think I"ll ever get why Tim Duncan is so overrated. People seriously saying if the Spurs won he could be top 5? Jesus christ...
    Still waiting on that 30 better players list, brotha!

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Of course he can improve his legacy. Anything he does at this point is gravy.'

His legacy can't get worse though really....what he's doing and already has done is pretty much unprecedented. What is someone gonna argue Bird had a better career if Duncan isn't good this year or something? Duncan already blows away Bird on longevity. The argument that he can't get better and only worse is completely backwards...the standard for PG on here.

You are absolutely right...
    Once the conversation leaves stats, you aren't qualified to right or wrong anything. And you don't even know when to apply stats at that as well.

I have Duncan ranked above Bird and Shaq already and unless he rocks five more years he isn't going to pass Wilt, Russell, Jordan Kareem or Magic in my book. Shaq and Bird are high in my rankings because their peak play was unquestionably better than Duncan's. Both would have played longer if Pop was their coach. Pop is a preservationist. KG was the most intense player probably ever. If he played for a preservationist he might still be playing at a high level. Unwittingly, of course that's the only way you could make good sense, you already brought in Popovich into the argument.

So your strongest point is really about Popovich. Ginobli, yeah your other screenname, so don't pretend to be brand new, would have been a five or four year starter for most coaches and then seemingly would have been overwhelmed by injuries. But he plays for a preservationist. Gin has had all star production for like one or two years tops. But people will be crying for the HOF. That's Pop. Most people have David Robinson in their top 25. Without Pop he loses about 10 spots.

Durant was annoyed when they said Kawhi should be ranked higher than George. And many people here on this board had Kawhi in their top ten player's list. That's Pop. Tony Parker is a top ten PG two years ago. With most coaches, he's not in the league. That's Pop. If the team now wins a two peat with Aldridge as the best player. He does something that Duncan never did. Is he better than Anthony Davis? No but that's Pop. I named every position where Pop has had significantly upped a player's value...

For now, I will hit one point at a time, as you get disoriented when I do more than that. I know you won't get it, because its a concept. But lets see if we can settle this point for now.

Quote Originally Posted by !@#$%Vectors!@#
    Bankaaii

Beautiful

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Oh yes....because a bunch of guys you probably were so much better...right?

Yea...leading probably the best 18 year stretch given circumstances in NBA history while being an elite two way player removes him from the conversation...right?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Once the conversation leaves stats, you aren't qualified to right or wrong anything. And you don't even know when to apply stats at that as well.

I have Duncan ranked above Bird and Shaq already and unless he rocks five more years he isn't going to pass Wilt, Russell, Jordan Kareem or Magic in my book. Shaq and Bird are high in my rankings because their peak play was unquestionably better than Duncan's. Both would have played longer if Pop was their coach. Pop is a preservationist. KG was the most intense player probably ever. If he played for a preservationist he might still be playing at a high level. Unwittingly, of course that's the only way you could make good sense, you already brought in Popovich into the argument.

So your strongest point is really about Popovich. Ginobli, yeah your other screenname, so don't pretend to be brand new, would have been a five or four year starter for most coaches and then seemingly would have been overwhelmed by injuries. But he plays for a preservationist. Gin has had all star production for like one or two years tops. But people will be crying for the HOF. That's Pop. Most people have David Robinson in their top 25. Without Pop he loses about 10 spots.

Durant was annoyed when they said Kawhi should be ranked higher than George. And many people here on this board had Kawhi in their top ten player's list. That's Pop. Tony Parker is a top ten PG two years ago. With most coaches, he's not in the league. That's Pop. If the team now wins a two peat with Aldridge as the best player. He does something that Duncan never did. Is he better than Anthony Davis? No but that's Pop. I named every position where Pop has had significantly upped a player's value...

For now, I will hit one point at a time, as you get disoriented when I do more than that. I know you won't get it, because its a concept. But lets see if we can settle this point for now.

Sorry...you don't get penalized for not being an elite player in year 19. Just doesn't work that way.

Also, Duncan isn't rated as highly as he is because of titles. He's largely rated as high as he is because of his amazing two way play that was elite from day 1...combined with his success. It's not all titles or something....I know it's lost on you, but it actually matters how good a player is. Crazy...I know...but true.

You also don't penalize players for a team having success after said player leaves. That is just silly.

Lastly, you claim he can't go up. But this is flawed on your own criteria. If the Spurs don't win anything after Duncan retires for a decade...under you logic...you'd have to vault Duncan up the rankings. Will you do this? Because you'd have to in order to stay remotely consistent. So do you admit your initial statement that he can't go up is flawed?

You don't get the game or logic man....you just don't get it. Go back to claiming the Cavs are better without Love and Kyrie...you should be afraid to even post on a basketball forum after saying something so god damn stupid.
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 10-15-2015 at 10:10 PM.

There is nothing wrong with Duncan being top 5.
    Dude is the 2nd most impactful defender of the top 10 GOATs (can be argued number 1 I personally think Russell's defense is slightly overrated).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bankaii

manu in 2005 averaged 20ppg on 60% fg's and lead the spurs in assists

duncan averaged 20ppg on 40% fg's. played like sh*t

duncan won MVP.. but it was a legit co-lead

same as when kobe was basically matching shaqs output in 2001 and 2002 while leading in assists

at best kobe has 1 gasol ring in 2000.. while saving the entire year a few times to make up for it

kobes 2009 and 2010 playoff and finals averages are 10+ ppg on gasol

please gtfo

Banned

kobe

2000 - 2nd banana
    2001 - co lead
    2002 - co lead
    2009 - alpha
    2010 - alpha

duncan

1999 - alpha
    2003 - alpha
    2005 - co lead
    2007 - 2nd banana
    2014 - 3rd banana

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard

Durant was annoyed when they said Kawhi should be ranked higher than George. And many people here on this board had Kawhi in their top ten player's list. That's Pop. Tony Parker is a top ten PG two years ago. With most coaches, he's not in the league. That's Pop. If the team now wins a two peat with Aldridge as the best player. He does something that Duncan never did. Is he better than Anthony Davis? No but that's Pop. I named every position where Pop has had significantly upped a player's value....
    Except, you know, when Robinson won his first ring, it was during the same season that Pop was almost fired because he was doing such a shitty job - Avery had to become the vocal leader because Pop was sitting back, Duncan and Robinson were doing pretty much everything on defense and Pop was running one of, if not the most vanilla offenses in the league, with some of the worst off-ball movement I've ever seen from a contending team.

So no, Robinson being ranked in the top twenty-five is not 'Pop'.

Decent college freshman

kobe

2000 - 2nd banana
    2001 - co lead
    2002 - co lead
    2009 - alpha
    2010 - alpha

duncan

1999 - alpha
    2003 - alpha
    2005 - co lead
    2007 - 2nd banana
    2014 - 3rd banana
    Lol check Shaqs stats in the 2001 and 2002 Finals and then tell me he was "co" with anybody

kobe

2000 - 2nd banana
    2001 - co lead
    2002 - co lead
    2009 - alpha
    2010 - alpha

duncan

1999 - alpha
    2003 - alpha
    2005 - co lead
    2007 - 2nd banana
    2014 - 3rd banana
    Where do you get this from?

In 02 Kobe averaged 26/6/5 with no FMVP.
    Shaq averaged 29/13/3 with FMVP.

'co lead'

In 07 Duncan averaged 22/12/3 with no FMVP
    Parker averaged 20/3/5 with FMVP

'2nd banana'

It's common knowledge that Duncan was the best Spur on the 07 team. You can't argue against that (unless FMVP is your exclusive criteria, in which case it's Duncan>Kobe).

Shaq was clearly the best Laker in 02.

Shitposting at its finest.