Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Jalen Rose - "The Orlando Magic Will Make The Playoffs"...

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    Dedmon won't start but just play more minutes. Part of our issues last year were frye being a trash defender and oladipo and payton while good individual defenders were bad team defenders which allowed more players to get in to the weak interior. We will need to see how it plays out but vuc contributes a lot to the offence and isn't the worst one on one defender he just sucks at help and cutting off the drive. It's still possible gordon can fill that role too.
    He may turn out to be garbage but I thought in 2014 you guys should have considered Vonleh since he may turn out to be a poor man's Ibaka-type of guy. He didn't do anything his rookie year (injury during preseason, coach didn't trust him, etc.) but I'm going to watch him hopefully in some Portland games this season. Gordon may be a much better player starting this season and going forward, so maybe it doesn't matter.

I think you guys will make a big push to sign T-Jones as a RFA. I think both the Ben Gordon and Channing Frye signings seem like a bust, both when it happened and in retrospect. I totally got signing Frye in hopes of having some legit floor spacing from a big, but thinking he could play PF on defense wasn't smart by Hennigan imo, especially not next to Tobias Harris and Vuc in the frontcourt.

Fwiw I wouldn't include Vuc in a trade unless you're trying to land somebody like Boogie. I was all for moving him in that rumored deal. With his pretty team-friendly deal, Vuc could be moved to a bench role if Orlando gets a better C in FA/draft.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    He may turn out to be garbage but I thought in 2014 you guys should have considered Vonleh since he may turn out to be a poor man's Ibaka-type of guy. He didn't do anything his rookie year (injury during preseason, coach didn't trust him, etc.) but I'm going to watch him hopefully in some Portland games this season. Gordon may be a much better player starting this season and going forward, so maybe it doesn't matter.

I think you guys will make a big push to sign T-Jones as a RFA. I think both the Ben Gordon and Channing Frye signings seem like a bust, both when it happened and in retrospect. I totally got signing Frye in hopes of having some legit floor spacing from a big, but thinking he could play PF on defense wasn't smart by Hennigan imo, especially not next to Tobias Harris and Vuc in the frontcourt.

Fwiw I wouldn't include Vuc in a trade unless you're trying to land somebody like Boogie. I was all for moving him in that rumored deal. With his pretty team-friendly deal, Vuc could be moved to a bench role if Orlando gets a better C in FA/draft.
    We were so far under the minimum salary it didn't matter. Ben Gordon's gone now and Frye's looking better so far under Skiles. He still doesn't fit but I'm guessing someone will trade for him at some point (his salary is front loaded, drops to 6 or 7mil next season I forget which so if he can look ok early i imagine a contender would like his mismatch shooting off the bench). I see Gordon more as being sign just as a body and Frye in the hopes that he could help out when we heavily lacked shooting. Oladipo and Harris have upped their range though so now Frye isn't needed as much.

I never really though of vonleh seriously, he looks like he could be alright but I just didn't see that star potential in him. At first I didn't like the Aaron Gordon pick but after seeing him play last season (and this summer league) I can see why the scouts thought he was worth a shot. Looks to have a good work ethic and can do crazy things on a basketball court.

Decent college freshman

We were so far under the minimum salary it didn't matter. Ben Gordon's gone now and Frye's looking better so far under Skiles. He still doesn't fit but I'm guessing someone will trade for him at some point (his salary is front loaded, drops to 6 or 7mil next season I forget which so if he can look ok early i imagine a contender would like his mismatch shooting off the bench). I see Gordon more as being sign just as a body and Frye in the hopes that he could help out when we heavily lacked shooting. Oladipo and Harris have upped their range though so now Frye isn't needed as much.

I never really though of vonleh seriously, he looks like he could be alright but I just didn't see that star potential in him. At first I didn't like the Aaron Gordon pick but after seeing him play last season (and this summer league) I can see why the scouts thought he was worth a shot. Looks to have a good work ethic and can do crazy things on a basketball court.
    I know you guys were under the floor so the signings would have little impact on future space- I just thought it was odd to add a dude like Ben Gordon when he displayed little vet leadership or anything. It was a 1-year overpay, but I found it odd.

Frye's best as a C and he declined on defense as a PF pretty quick. Or at least I'm mis-remembering- so correct me there if I'm wrong. Hawes got traded for an expiring after an awful season, so Frye can still be moved and an exploding cap helps the cause that much more.

Like I said, I didn't mind adding him to be a bench shooter, but playing Harris/Frye/Vuc together just wasn't a good look. If AG didn't get hurt, that lineup wouldn't have been used as much most likely, so who knows. I was shocked at $32M/8 years for an aging backup big, but I actually expected cap smoothing instead of the spike. The contract isn't bad anymore but he seems more and more like a 15mpg guy.

Gordon is a freak athlete and will probably do lots of things at a "very good" level at his peak. I don't think he'll be "great" at anything but defense, which is still very valuable. I think he's best as a PF on offense, but won't bring rim protection as a 4 on defense. I was shocked you guys picked him- thought you'd take either Exum or Vonleh @ 4, then take somebody like Payne at 12. Obviously, you're better off with Elfrid + Gordon.

Vonleh may be a total bust, but I think he can be a spot up shooter/4th option type on offense and bring defensive versatility. Well, if he pans out. I'm not sure he'll be great, or good, at anything, but I thought he kinda fit as a guy who could play either PF or C and bring some shooting.

I really liked the Super Mario pick this year though. Dude's dripping with confidence and I think he'll progress better on D with Skiles being tough on him.

I didn't really thought about the East but I guess it will go (no order) Cavs, Hawks, Bulls, Raptors, Wizards, Heat, Bucks and then you have Magic, Pacers, Knicks and Celtics fighting for the last spot. I think the Celtics take it but we all know injuries happen and maybe the Magic get lucky.

All these alts talking to themselves. What a joke.

Banned

I know you guys were under the floor so the signings would have little impact on future space- I just thought it was odd to add a dude like Ben Gordon when he displayed little vet leadership or anything. It was a 1-year overpay, but I found it odd.

Frye's best as a C and he declined on defense as a PF pretty quick. Or at least I'm mis-remembering- so correct me there if I'm wrong. Hawes got traded for an expiring after an awful season, so Frye can still be moved and an exploding cap helps the cause that much more.

Like I said, I didn't mind adding him to be a bench shooter, but playing Harris/Frye/Vuc together just wasn't a good look. If AG didn't get hurt, that lineup wouldn't have been used as much most likely, so who knows. I was shocked at $32M/8 years for an aging backup big, but I actually expected cap smoothing instead of the spike. The contract isn't bad anymore but he seems more and more like a 15mpg guy.

Gordon is a freak athlete and will probably do lots of things at a "very good" level at his peak. I don't think he'll be "great" at anything but defense, which is still very valuable. I think he's best as a PF on offense, but won't bring rim protection as a 4 on defense. I was shocked you guys picked him- thought you'd take either Exum or Vonleh @ 4, then take somebody like Payne at 12. Obviously, you're better off with Elfrid + Gordon.

Vonleh may be a total bust, but I think he can be a spot up shooter/4th option type on offense and bring defensive versatility. Well, if he pans out. I'm not sure he'll be great, or good, at anything, but I thought he kinda fit as a guy who could play either PF or C and bring some shooting.

I really liked the Super Mario pick this year though. Dude's dripping with confidence and I think he'll progress better on D with Skiles being tough on him.
    Frye is valuable as a stretch four if he gets back to his previous efficiency. Gordon looks more like a small forward with the way he handles the ball and tries to run the offence, just have to hope he can keep up his summer league shooting %s. If that happens though then yeah they need an interior defender at the four which is one reason I was iffy on resigning harris for so much. It's an interesting young core because there's a lot of different ways they can try to use this team going forward.
    Last edited by outbreak; 10-17-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Decent college freshman

Frye is valuable as a stretch four if he gets back to his previous efficiency. Gordon looks more like a small forward with the way he handles the ball and tries to run the offence, just have to hope he can keep up his summer league shooting %s. If that happens though then yeah they need an interior defender at the four which is one reason I was iffy on resigning harris for so much. It's an interesting young core because there's a lot of different ways they can try to use this team going forward.
    I guess I'll agree to disagree regarding Frye's ability to play PF on defense. He has amazing value as a stretch 5 offensively and used to hold up defending in the post. Now- I'm not sure he can play well enough on D to start anymore. I see him more of a backup who exclusively picks'n'pops. If his shooting improves, he can play the 4 on offense. I do think his past success had a lot to do with the extra floor spacing he had as a C with a PG who was a 3 point threat in those PnRs.

If Gordon's shooting is legit, then he can play the 3 on offense. I think he surely can guard SFs defensively. Just wonder if he'd function better with more spacing and play as a PF. He hasn't really played so it's too early to pigeonhole him, but that's my feeling. I have to say though I'm intrigued by a lineup of Elf/Dipo/Mario/Gordon + an interior defender who rolls hard to basket on offense.

Eh Harris got paid more than I expected and I figured Hennigan would wait to see what market dictated his value. He seems like he has good value as a scorer off the bench, even if he's overpaid. I was more surprised that you guys threw a max @ Millsap- not that it wasn't a smart move (it was), but that you guys were aggressive in trying to improve as fast as possible.

Banned

I guess I'll agree to disagree regarding Frye's ability to play PF on defense. He has amazing value as a stretch 5 offensively and used to hold up defending in the post. Now- I'm not sure he can play well enough on D to start anymore. I see him more of a backup who exclusively picks'n'pops. If his shooting improves, he can play the 4 on offense. I do think his past success had a lot to do with the extra floor spacing he had as a C with a PG who was a 3 point threat in those PnRs.

If Gordon's shooting is legit, then he can play the 3 on offense. I think he surely can guard SFs defensively. Just wonder if he'd function better with more spacing and play as a PF. He hasn't really played so it's too early to pigeonhole him, but that's my feeling. I have to say though I'm intrigued by a lineup of Elf/Dipo/Mario/Gordon + an interior defender who rolls hard to basket on offense.

Eh Harris got paid more than I expected and I figured Hennigan would wait to see what market dictated his value. He seems like he has good value as a scorer off the bench, even if he's overpaid. I was more surprised that you guys threw a max @ Millsap- not that it wasn't a smart move (it was), but that you guys were aggressive in trying to improve as fast as possible.
    I never said anything about frye defensively, he can't defend the 4 or the 5. His value is as an efficient stretch four off the bench. On a contender you bring him in as a mismatch who will help open up the paint for your drivers. He's always going to be a hole on defence and he pretty much always has been a poor defender. He doesn't have much value for this Orlando team though

Decent college freshman

I never said anything about frye defensively, he can't defend the 4 or the 5. His value is as an efficient stretch four off the bench. On a contender you bring him in as a mismatch who will help open up the paint for your drivers. He's always going to be a hole on defence and he pretty much always has been a poor defender. He doesn't have much value for this Orlando team though
    I took you not acknowledging his D when I brought it up as you thinking he could play D- my bad for assuming that man.

I guess my point is he can't play D so he has to play the 5 off the bench. His last year in Phoenix he actually defended the post well. That seemed to tail off reallyyyy fast once he left.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smoovegittar
    All these alts talking to themselves. What a joke.

Anyway, not a huge surprise, really.

1. Jalen is kinda dumb
    2. That East 3rd tier has 6 teams vying for 3 spots, imo. Surely there are bound to be some "surprises"

Just read the first page, but weren't the Celtics on a 50 win pace after the All Star break last season?

Not really losing anyone valuable and adding David Lee and Amir Johnson, wouldn't that make them pretty much a lock for the playoffs? I mean its the East and anything could happen, but Boston proved themselves last season and seems to be a decent team in the East this year.

Defense has looked good in the preseason. I'm not picking them to make the playoffs though. Not even out East.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wally450
    Just read the first page, but weren't the Celtics on a 50 win pace after the All Star break last season?

Not really losing anyone valuable and adding David Lee and Amir Johnson, wouldn't that make them pretty much a lock for the playoffs? I mean its the East and anything could happen, but Boston proved themselves last season and seems to be a decent team in the East this year.
    I'm w/ you. While I have them in that third tier of East teams, I actually have them at the #3 seed as of right now (notice I didn't say the tier 3 teams were vying for the LAST 3 playoff spots).

I'm pretty sure every season at least one team makes a huge leap. My pick for this season is the Celts.