Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Has a team ever tried as hard as Cleveland currently is to BUY a championship?

$10m for shumpert

Cavs going all out, can't fault gilbo for his want of a championship. Probably shouldn't listen to lebald though getting his bum buddies paid

Default Re: Has a team ever tried as hard as Cleveland currently is to BUY a championship?

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    Yeah, how Billy King still has that job is amazing to me.
    Well, they lost Rod Thorn. Gotta have at least 1 guy there who knows the game.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaniiiia
    Has there ever been a poster try as hard to defend his favorite team than RBA?
    I don't see why I should have to "defend" an ownership or franchise for doing everything in their power to win, especially when it comes to re-signing guys already on the roster. It's not like the Cavs are fleecing the rest of the league of their talent. Your owner either pays them or lets them walk with no recourse to replace their production. Gilbert did the former, which is what I would think any fan would want.

Listen, I hated the idea of "super teams" as much or more than anyone on this board back in the early-10s, but that's where the players and a few GMs took it. The league is what it is now. LMA just signed with the freaking Spurs.

If there are any guys on the Cavs I absolutely want to keep it is the guys we drafted. I don't really see the issue with anything I've said or why I should even be put into a defensive posture by the franchise doing the things it needs to do to make the team better.

They have the balls and the cash to do it. It's quite refreshing a team is willing to put their money where their mouth is. They are proving it wasn't just lip service. Agree or disagree with their moves, but they said what they were going to do, and went out and did it.

It's not the norm. Shit, Miami was coming off 4 trips to the finals, and their owner was busy worrying about the luxury tax. And it cost him. Big time.

Cuban was so adamant the new CBA was going to hamstring his team going forward he let his championship squad go without trying to defend his title. 3 consecutive summers of shooting for the prize free agent and his team is stuck in the mud.

Even if I think it is hypocritical of Gilbert to cry about big market teams paying through the nose to compile talent, he is pushing his chips to the middle of the table and is willing to play his hand. Good for the NBA and it's fans imo

I rule the local playground dubnation's Avatar

Has there ever been a poster try as hard to defend his favorite team than RBA?

I like the dude but jesus. Mention anything that could possibly be taken negatively about the Cavs and the dude posts graphs on graphs on graphs.

Is is that serious?
    The f*ck are you going on about?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I don't see why I should have to "defend" an ownership or franchise for doing everything in their power to win:
    That's exactly my point. Why try to defend something that doesn't need to be defended?

Let the apes spout off about our team while we quietly enjoy success.

We're better than that.

That's exactly my point. Why try to defend something that doesn't need to be defended?

Let the apes spout off about our team while we quietly enjoy success.

We're better than that.
    You're a Cavs fan or are you just trolling at the end there? I honestly don't know. I'm not familiar with your posting history.

I come on here to talk about basketball. I enjoy typing "graphs and graphs," especially now that I'm out of the business of doing it professionally. I don't do it simply out of reverence for the Cavs. I do it because I enjoy writing and putting my thoughts out there.

That's why this site exists. Without an occasional serious conversation, you'd just have nothing but trolls. I try to maintain some level of intellectual discussion.

The cap system is too loose, lets colluders like Bron get way ahead of others on paper.

Too bad its Bron though, so his boring ass, inefficient basketball won't get them a ring either way.

Suck shit

Banned

You're a Cavs fan or are you just trolling at the end there? I honestly don't know. I'm not familiar with your posting history.

I come on here to talk about basketball. I enjoy typing "graphs and graphs," especially now that I'm out of the business of doing it professionally. I don't do it simply out of reverence for the Cavs. I do it because I enjoy writing and putting my thoughts out there.

That's why this site exists. Without an occasional serious conversation, you'd just have nothing but trolls. I try to maintain some level of intellectual discussion.
    Yeah, I was born in Cleveland, re-located to OKC in 07 right before they got a team.

I consider myself a Cavs fan first but an OKC fan a close second. (mainly because I've been to so many games and have been here from the beginning, saw them go from worst team in the league to perennial championship contender right in front of my eyes, up close and personal)

But I feel you though, I'm actually advocating you here. I hate seeing smart guys get sucked into the vortex of nonsense that, as you touched on, regularly inhabits this board.

I now see I was initially wrong in calling you out. I now understand by that you posting legitimate opinions with no agenda driven trolling, it might actually spark others to follow suit. So I apologize.

Yeah, I was born in Cleveland, re-located to OKC in 07 right before they got a team.

I consider myself a Cavs fan first but an OKC fan a close second. (mainly because I've been to so many games and have been here from the beginning, saw them go from worst team in the league to perennial championship contender right in front of my eyes, up close and personal)

But I feel you though, I'm actually advocating you here. I hate seeing smart guys get sucked into the vortex of nonsense that, as you touched on, regularly inhabits this board.

I now see I was initially wrong in calling you out. I now understand by that you posting legitimate opinions with no agenda driven trolling, it might actually spark others to follow suit. So I apologize.
    No need for an apology.

I think everyone on this site knows I can be a little "long-winded" to put it nicely and that I'm mostly a homer. I think most good fans have some homer in them, though. You can't have a great affinity for a franchise and then still remain completely unbiased.

Local High School Star

Joe Johnson - $21.5 million
    Deron Williams - $18.5 million
    Paul Pierce - $15.3 million
    Brooke Lopez - $14.7 million
    Kevin Garnett - $12.4 million

etc.

Humphries was gone by the time they set the tax record. But yeah... he also got a crazy contract a couple years prior.
    I forgot peirce was on that team

No need for an apology.

I think everyone on this site knows I can be a little "long-winded" to put it nicely and that I'm mostly a homer. I think most good fans have some homer in them, though. You can't have a great affinity for a franchise and then still remain completely unbiased.

The 2012-13 Nets actually had a higher payroll.
    I think you mean the 2013-2014 Nets when they traded for KG and Pierce.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Miami.