Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Banned

Default Re: Kobe without Shaq vs Lebron without Wade vs Jordan without Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by IllegalD
    Malone was injured and in his 40s, Payton was way past his prime. So that still makes just one HOF teammate in SHaq.
    Scottie Pippen missed half of the '98 season following back surgery. A 35 year old Jordan won MVP, the scoring title, ASG MVP (Schooling Young Beans for good measure), won all NBA + All NBA first team honors and led the Bulls to the championship in his typical legendary fashion while winning his 6th MVP.

Nobody's got time for excuses.

in 2013 Nash barely played, and Artest isn't a HOF. So that's still just 2 HOF teammates to Jordan's (soon to be) 3.
    Shaq, Malone, Payton, Howard, Gasol, and Nash are all HOFers and Artest was DPOY.

Wow.

Does anyone else in History boast such stacked rosters?

I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    i'm going to bed. f*ck everything

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Pau was a DOMINANT PLAYER, whereas Pippen has never dominated... Pau commanded double-teams... Pippen never did.. Pippen had horrific, literally WOAT playoff series in his prime.. Pau never did.

Here's the reality - Pippen required a ton of improvement when he first came in the league and therefore needed to land in the right situation to realize that development... He couldn't land on a team with a bad environment, and he couldn't land on a really good team either - for example, his 7.9 ppg would never have gotten playing time on the stacked, 1988 champion Lakers.. Landing on a bad team like the Bulls, alongside a hard worker and reigning DPOY was perfect for Pippen.

Pippen's undeveloped game and resulting need to land in the right situation made him more of a gamble compared to Pau, who was good right away - so if we're being realistic and considering what would happen if they were drafted by 100 different teams, Pau is easily the better player.. The funny thing is that out of all the teams Pip could've landed on - he landed on the goat's team, yet people think it's "coincidence" that he turned out the way he did.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Pau was a DOMINANT PLAYER, whereas Pippen has never dominated... Pau commanded double-teams... Pippen never did.

Here's the reality - Pippen required a ton of improvement when he first came in the league and therefore needed to land in the right situation to realize that development... He couldn't land on a team with a bad environment, and he couldn't land on a really good team either - for example, his 7.9 ppg would never have gotten playing time on the stacked, 1988 champion Lakers.. Landing on a bad team like the Bulls, alongside a hard worker and reigning DPOY was perfect for Pippen.

Pippen's undeveloped game and resulting need to land in the right situation made him more of a gamble compared to Pau, who was good right away - so if we're being realistic and considering what would happen if they were drafted by 100 different teams, Pau is easily the better player.. The funny thing is that out of all the teams Pip could've landed on - he landed on the goat's team, yet people think it's "coincidence" that Pippen turned out the way he did.
    Pippen's lone season as #1 option > any Gasol #1 option season

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents

Pippen's lone season as #1 option > any Gasol #1 option season
    Pau was a dominant offensive player that could create his own shot consistently - Pippen could not.. Pippen needed a 3-peat supporting cast to win 50 games.. Otoh, Pau won 50 games and made playoffs multiple years without needing to win 3 rings first - by winning 3 rings on the back of MJ's goat stats, Pippen had the best supporting cast possible that anyone could ever have.

Btw, Pippen had seasons as a 2nd option that were better than his season as the #1 option:

Pippen 1992: 21.0 ppg.. 7.7 rpg.. 7.0 apg.. 50.6% fg
    Pippen 1994: 22.0 ppg.. 8.7 rpg.. 5.6 apg.. 47.8% fg

Pippen's undeveloped game as a rookie and resulting need to land in the right situation made him more of a gamble compared to Pau, who was good right away - so if we're being realistic and considering what would happen if they were drafted by 100 different teams, Pau is easily the better player.. The funny thing is that out of all the teams Pip could've landed on - he landed on the goat's team who was a hard-worker and reigning DPOY, yet people think it's "coincidence" that Pippen turned out the way he did.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldLion
    so you're avoding the question I proposed and creating your own

nice

Pippen = 17x all nba team selection

Pau = 4x all nba team selection
    This post kept poking at me for some reason so I will respond and explain why it is unfair to compare them using All-NBA selections.

#1. They played a difference position and they played in different eras so a direct comparison would obviously be flawed to some degree no matter what.

#2.
    Gasol played in the strongest PF era ever.
    During his Prime years he had to compete with guys like KG, Dirk, Duncan, Webber and even guys like Amare, Brand and Bosh had an impressive Peak year here or there further increasing the competition for the award.
    Pau was also a partially finesse European player and his inability to grab much attention on a weak small market team also lowered the chance that he might snag an award (low visibility).

So yeah the All-NBA comparison is literally meaningless.

Pau had an amazing career.
    He is truly one of the greatest offensive PF's ever and is also one of the most skilled and best passing PF's ever.
    He won the ROY and averaged 18 / 9 / 2.7-apg / 2.1-bpg in his first NBA season.
    He is also a solid rebounder and an overall good defender during his Prime (and excellent during his Peak years).

I see him as a slightly weaker overall McHale and I think that he is certainly on the same tier as McHale career-wise due to his superior longevitiy.
    So he is at worst a Top 60 All-Timer and could arguably crack the Top 50.

There is a sort of cognitive dissonance amoung some fans (and many Kobe fans) where they just have been told or convinced themselves that Gasol wasn't that great so they end up not appreciating how special he was.
    Last edited by ShaqTwizzle; 10-24-2015 at 04:27 AM.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thesmallmamba
    LOL why did you copy my avi btw??

Where you so shook by my avi, that it forced you to change the avi you've been using for the past 5 years, just to copy my avi within 2 minutes of seeing it

Do I scare you so much, that I caused you to completely change your avi of 5 years within 2 minutes

2 FOR 7 NEXT YEAR