Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    High School Starter

Default Re: The greatest "respond to losses" championship runs ever...

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    Kobe went to b2b2b finals in the deepest and greatest conference in NBA history...without a fellow top 85 player of all time.

Kareem never even came close to such a feat.

Kobe's better.
    not that i'm agreeing with you but Kareem gets held to an extreme double standard..

Haters bring up Shaq for Kobe.. but Kareem only won titles with two of the top 5 GOATS of during his time (1950-1990 Magic and Oscar were easily top 5 all time ) and nobody cares...

Kareem also missed the playoffs twice in his prime... and only began winning again after Oscar when Magic joined the Lakers..

the double standard is unreal..

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    For the record I'm a fan of Kobe. Always have been. I think he's firmly a top 10 player all time (I used to have him 10-12 but after a recent reexamination I think he's 7-8).

I know (well I think) you're a legit Kobe fan and not one of those dudes pretending to be a stan to intentionally make a player look bad, but slow down with the "second best player all time" talk. Seriously.
    No.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Being in the finals is a championship run is it not?

Thread title doesn't say "championship wins".
    Come on now.

High School Starter

Kareem won his last two titles while averaging 19/7 in the playoffs and 14/6 in the playoffs

LMAO imagine if Jordan or Kobe won a title while averaging 14 ppg in the playoffs.. the hate would be unreal

Kareem averaged 13/4 on 41% in his last finals.. please tell me that Kobe Jordan or Lebron would get any credit for that title in this day and age.. I DARE YOU TO...

in game 7 of that series Kareem put up 4 points on 28% FG what fu[COLOR="Black"]ck[/COLOR]ing joke

I'm sure Jordan and Kobe would get full credit for that ring like Kareem does

And lets not forget that a rookie pg bailed out Kareem in the finals when Kareem was out and his team was till good enough to win the deciding game

the double standard is ridiculous..

Local High School Star Megabox!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    Come on now.

High School Starter

Kobe averaged 20+/5/5/ for every title

Kareem's 4th title came while averaging 20ppg for the playoffs..

that would have been Kobe's absolute worse scoring production for a playoff run for a ring ever

yet we praise Kareem for his titles and discredit Kobe for his because he played with Shaq.. yet Magic is always >>>>>>> Shaq in all time rankings.. you haters are insane and have no clue about basketball
    Last edited by DaOldLion; 10-24-2015 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic 32
    Come on now.
    If a player averages 40ppg in a losing effort in the finals it's not a great "finals run"?

Sorry, but I call bullshit.

West and Baylor might have this and even if they don't they deserve a mention because they had some astounding "finals runs", someone should do the stats.

Very good NBA starter

If a player averages 40ppg in a losing effort in the finals it's not a great "finals run"?

It might be a great run but it's not a "championship run".

Playing great and winning after almost every loss tend to result in championships.

That is what this is about.

Use your "championship wins" runs somwhere else.

High School Starter

West and Baylor might have this and even if they don't they deserve a mention because they had some astounding "finals runs", someone should do the stats.
    championship run = winning an actual championship

not that difficult to understand

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife
    No.

Best two players of all time, regardless of position.
    Kobe Bryant is not a top 10 player tbf. He's right.

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldLion
    championship run = winning an actual championship

not that difficult to understand
    Well then still some great candidates to be mentioned or tracked might be Bob Pettit, Bill Russell, Sam Jones, John Havlicek, Rick Barry, Julius Erving etc.

This is kind of a funny thread though because some players had such dominant 'championship runs' they technically can't qualify for this criteria due to WINNING so much

For example, Jabbar in 1970 I think the Bucks only lost like 1 game the entire playoffs. I think it should be noted because a player on a championship run like that is even more impressive in my opinion.

High School Starter

Well then still some great candidates to be mentioned or tracked might be Bob Pettit, Bill Russell, Sam Jones, John Havlicek, Rick Barry, Julius Erving etc.

This is kind of a funny thread though because some players had such dominant 'championship runs' they technically can't qualify for this criteria due to WINNING so much

For example, Jabbar in 1970 I think the Bucks only lost like 1 game the entire playoffs. I think it should be noted because a player on a championship run like that is even more impressive in my opinion.
    if you feel that way then make a seperate thread?

there are plenty of instances like this where a criteria is made and other players barely miss it..

no reason to derail the thread just because somebody you know about was close to the criteria but didn't make it..

you don't see Kobe stans coming in here saying "but aww that's not fair Kobe played off the charts in 01 when the Lakers had the GOAT post season run"

Quote Originally Posted by DaOldLion
    Kobe averaged 20+/5/5/ for every title

Kareem's 4th title came while averaging 20ppg for the playoffs..

that would have been Kobe's absolute worse scoring production for a playoff run for a ring ever

yet we praise Kareem for his titles and discredit Kobe for his because he played with Shaq.. yet Magic is always >>>>>>> Shaq in all time rankings.. you haters are insane and have no clue about basketball
    I agree with the jist of what you're saying, but answer these questions. Does Kobe rank above Kareem all time? Is Kobe the 2nd greatest player all time?

I've never heard anyone, anywhere, ever, so much as flirt with the idea that the answer could possibly be yes to either of those questions.

Very good NBA starter

Hakeem Olajuwon 1995 (7 Games, 5-2 record)

31.6 ppg, 10.0 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.3 bpg, 53 fg%

Best performances...

Game 4 vs Jazz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXb7dn7yKWk
    Game 3 vs Suns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXu8jDyrasM
    Game 5 vs. Spurs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcae_NBtkb4
    Last edited by Magic 32; 10-24-2015 at 02:27 AM.

High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    I agree with the jist of what you're saying, but answer these questions. Does Kobe rank above Kareem all time? Is Kobe the 2nd greatest player all time?

I've never heard anyone, anywhere, ever, so much as flirt with the idea that the answer could possibly be yes to either of those questions.
    Did I say that he does? I'm just pointing out the obvious contradiction of Kareem compared to other players

its funny because most people here are falling for the usual bullshit with Kareem that they try to discount when talking about Kobe (ring count with no context and scoring totals)

Nobody here watched Kareem play, they just rank him based off rings and scoring totals.. the same shit that you guys giving Kobe fans hell for bringing up.. even though Kobe's last 3 titles >>>> Kareeem's as far as impact and performance.. yet it doesn't matter here because "RANZ & SCORING TOTALS"

Kareem misses the playoffs and wins MVP.. but nobody on ISH cares, they just list off his accolades with no context..

"Kobe had Shaq".. Ok.. Kareem had Oscar and Magic

That'd be like Kobe playing with Shaq and Duncan...

you guys fall into the same trap that you constantly berate Kobe fans for doing.. no actual context with career totals and ring count.. yet since nobody ever watched Kareem play and everybody hates Kobe nobody cares to actually look into the context..

just because some old farts who grew up in the 70's and 80's want to hold on to the thought that the best player during their childhood is the undisputed GOAT or 2nd GOAT doesn't make it fact..

if Kobe missed the playoffs and won MVP wouldn't that be constantly ridiculed? If Kobe averaged 20. 19 and 14 ppg during his last 3 championship runs do you think anybody would really care about those rings?

If Kobe scored 4pts in game 7 of the NBA finals and won wouldn't that be constantly ridiculed

Kareem gets the biggest double standard I've ever seen when compared to current GOATS like Kobe and Lebron

it's f[COLOR="Black"]uc[/COLOR]king laughable really