Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Lma Looks Bigger Than Duncan,lol

i actually thought he was Diaw at beginning of the game..

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    this pic always make hibbert look like a giant
    He is a giant, he's 7'2. So he's probably among the tallest 1,000 people in the entire world.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
    DUNCAN LOOKS SO SMALLER

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Duncan is listed at PF because either he or Popovich just feels like calling him that but which centers in the league today are too big for him? Tim Duncan has gone head-to-head with Shaq and these days half the league is doing smallball. If he was drafted by a team that didn't have David Robinson he probably is listed as a center from the start of his career and this never even becomes a question.
    I didn't say they were too big for him, I just said he's not as big as them dudes. Shaq, D. Rob, etc are much bigger than Duncan as we have seen many times in pics. Yeah, he can go toe to toe with them because he's a top 5 GOAT level player and makes up for his lack of size/athleticism vs. those guys with his fundamentals, intangibles, clutchness, BBall I.Q., leadership, etc.

I mean, think of it this way, what center would you actually compare him to? None of the GOAT centers really are comparable to him because he's not really a center. You can't compare him to Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, etc because those guys are much bigger. You can't compare him to someone like Russell because like Wilt and Shaq, he's much more athletic. Maybe an in between version of Kareem and Russell? That's probably the best comparison I can think of, but then Russell played in a much different era than today where guys weren't as large. And again, he was a physical freak. Ben Wallace is pretty similar to him in that regard.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Spurs5Rings2014
    I didn't say they were too big for him, I just said he's not as big as them dudes. Shaq, D. Rob, etc are much bigger than Duncan as we have seen many times in pics. Yeah, he can go toe to toe with them because he's a top 5 GOAT level player and makes up for his lack of size/athleticism vs. those guys with his fundamentals, intangibles, clutchness, BBall I.Q., leadership, etc.

I mean, think of it this way, what center would you actually compare him to? None of the GOAT centers really are comparable to him because he's not really a center. You can't compare him to Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, etc because those guys are much bigger. You can't compare him to someone like Russell because like Wilt and Shaq, he's much more athletic. Maybe an in between version of Kareem and Russell? That's probably the best comparison I can think of, but then Russell played in a much different era than today where guys weren't as large. And again, he was a physical freak. Ben Wallace is pretty similar to him in that regard.
    He is still a center...he was one in college and has been one the majority of his NBA career. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck as they say....

Not to mention his game is that of a centers.

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    He is still a center...he was one in college and has been one the majority of his NBA career. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck as they say....

Not to mention his game is that of a centers.
    Eh, it's all pretty meaningless (I don't really care if someone calls Tim a Centre), but he hasn't played C for the majority of his NBA career (PF with D-Rob, Rasho, Oberto, Splitter, Nazr, C with Horry, Blair, Diaw), and his game, over the course of his career, was more toward the PF scale, or simply an interchangable PF/C.

His game obviously wasn't strictly that of a Centre's. He played some SF before his tore his meniscus and his game slowed down.

whenever I see Aldridge I always get surprised at how big he really is. Looks way taller than the 6-11 he's listed at.

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    looks like he is competing with Diaw in terms of weight too. LA has gained some fat it appears
    I agree, I think he looks completely out of shape.
    Running around flapping his arms everywhere to get down the court like it will make him run faster.
    Not only that he looks as timid as ever on D and the glass, only goes for the easy stuff.
    I don't really know why Pop went after him so hard, but will wait and see. I actually think he was the only decent big scorer willing to move teams and they have taken somewhat of a flier in the hope that they can hide his weaknesses.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Eh, it's all pretty meaningless (I don't really care if someone calls Tim a Centre), but he hasn't played C for the majority of his NBA career (PF with D-Rob, Rasho, Oberto, Splitter, Nazr, C with Horry, Blair, Diaw), and his game, over the course of his career, was more toward the PF scale, or simply an interchangable PF/C.

His game obviously wasn't strictly that of a Centre's. He played some SF before his tore his meniscus and his game slowed down.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...duncati01.html

Using data from I believe 82games.com basketball reference has put play by play data together showing where a player was playing. Duncan since 2000-2001 was played 77% of the time at center. Offensively he was the center with Splitter, Oberto and likely Rasho though it's been a while since I watched those games. He also logs as many minutes on the court without those guys as he did with them if not more.

Duncan has almost always played the role of roaming shot blocker for the spurs on defense (generally the job of the center) and while his game like ALL greats (ok maybe not all but most) is versatile, but Duncan always did his work on the low block when he was posting him. He certainly can play the high post.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    He is still a center...he was one in college
    I don't see how this is an argument. Plenty of NBA players played bigger positions in college than they did in the NBA. Bird for example played center in college, but he clearly was a SF/PF in the NBA.

NBA lottery pick

I don't see how this is an argument. Plenty of NBA players played bigger positions in college than they did in the NBA. Bird for example played center in college, but he clearly was a SF/PF in the NBA.
    The point was that he'd always been one and was playing out of position with the "twin tower" aka "we're playing two centers" system.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Duncan is 6'11 and 250. Again: which centers today are that much bigger than him? There are certainly several 4s that he is taller than. 6'10 and up is the norm for centers. This is basic stuff. Just because he doesn't have the height or weight of Wilt, Shaq, or Jabbar (arguably the three greatest centers of all time...and although he didn't have Jabbar's height he actually weighs more) doesn't mean he can't be a center. If you're a Spurs fan then you have to know that he matches up with centers all the time on both ends of the floor. And he is a physical match for just about all of them, especially in the post-Shaq NBA.

all dat briscuit.

NBA rookie of the year

You can't compare him to someone like Russell because like Wilt and Shaq, he's much more athletic.
    I hope you mean that Russell is more athletic than Duncan, because Russell was a significantly better athlete.