Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Just so we're clear everyone on ISH is aware the earth is warming up - right?

great thread OP, you really cleared things up for everyone

Default Re: Just so we're clear everyone on ISH is aware the earth is warming up - right?

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Yes they did. They meant it when the Earth was warming. Now that it's not... Now its Climate Change. Can't go wrong with that name. The climate is always changing. Has been for millions of years.
    The earth IS warming up UK2K

The weather of one city here or there from one year here or there does not negate or disprove the observed and collective global rise in average temperature data

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    The earth IS warming up UK2K

The weather of one city here or there from one year here or there does not negate or disprove the observed and collective global rise in average temperature data
    Conservatives can barely envision a world outside a three-block radius from their home, you really expect them to grasp the concept of global temperatures? We're still arguing evolution with these nitwits, FFS.

Something like 97% of scientists are in agreement that man-made climate change is real, but these assholes are listening to Megyn Kelly .

^ A global collective average - that's observed and collected data, those are not speculative numbers those are actual numbers.

A cold winter in your home town does not matter. It's a global average, not a localized average.

Also:

The earths temperature did not change on its own that rapidly even during ice-age transitions. Based on fossil and ice core data global average 2 degree temperature swing would take something in the order of a few thousand years in the earths own natural cycle, not 100.

Even those spikes you see on those charts are in the order of a several thousand year span - not a 100 year span. See how closely earths temperature is linked to c02 levels? And look at current c02 levels, it's way above the earths natural cycle. Who's making all that c02? Oh that's right we are. What do you presume it will do to the earths temperature? What do the last 100 years of a 2 degree rise indicate. Hmmmm.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 11-05-2015 at 03:41 PM.

^ A global collective average - that's observed and collected data, those are not speculative numbers those are actual numbers.

A cold winter in your home town does not matter. It's a global average, not a localized average.

Also:

The earths temperature did not change on its own that rapidly even during ice-age transitions. Based on fossil and ice core data global average 2 degree temperature swing would take something in the order of a few thousand years in the earths own natural cycle, not 100.
    Your graphs are cool, and they correlate kinda, but I don't think that's the only reason, nor do I think its the biggest reason.

I think there are other, more influential factors at play other than burning plastic. Like I said, we have 150 years of weather data when the earth is 4,000,000 years old.

Learning to shoot layups

I'm worried more about pollution than climate change.
    People dump into the oceans and a lot of places have disturbing air pollution.

Your graphs are cool, and they correlate kinda, but I don't think that's the only reason, nor do I think its the biggest reason.

I think there are other, more influential factors at play other than burning plastic. Like I said, we have 150 years of weather data when the earth is 4,000,000 years old.
    Check above again. We have hundreds of thousands of years of ice core gas and temperature data. C02 affecting the earths temperature is a direct connection. This is again, an observation not a theory. There's nothing to not buy into here.

Check above again. We have hundreds of thousands of years of ice core gas and temperature data. C02 affecting the earths temperature is a direct connection. This is again, an observation not a theory. There's nothing to not buy into here.

Yes there is. The planet has been heating and cooling for millions of years, a long, long time before man was around. But how could that be? CO2 causes it! Because we are using data on the last 150 years that coincides with something we want it to (except in the last 15 years, when it doesn't) doesn't make the earth's rising temperatures is a direct result of man-made causes.

There is no direct connection. If there was, the temperature would have been consistently rising since the industrial revolution, but it hasn't. Why is that? Because the earth's climate moves in cycles like it has been for millions of years. It has before us, and it will after us.

By the way, there is a thing called 'proxy' data... That is, we don't know exactly what the temperature was, so we're guessing. We didn't directly record weather until the late 1800's, like I said.
    Last edited by UK2K; 11-05-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Yes there is. The planet has been heating and cooling for millions of years, a long, long time before man was around. But how could that be? CO2 causes it! Because we are using data on the last 150 years that coincides with something we want it to (except in the last 15 years, when it doesn't) doesn't make the earth's rising temperatures is a direct result of man-made causes.

There is no direct connection. If there was, the temperature would have been consistently rising since the industrial revolution, but it hasn't. Why is that? Because the earth's climate moves in cycles like it has been for millions of years. It has before us, and it will after us.

By the way, there is a thing called 'proxy' data... That is, we don't know exactly what the temperature was, so we're guessing. We didn't directly record weather until the late 1800's, like I said.

Do you not know how to interpret this data? Serious question.

Local High School Star Monta Ellis MVP's Avatar

Exclamation Re: Just so we're clear everyone on ISH is aware the earth is warming up - right?

If you told CavsFTW the sky is falling he would duck and cover.

A 2+ degree rise in average temperature on a pretty linearly "upward" direction. In a span of just 100 years.

In that span of just 100 years c02 levels have been doubled past any high-point of literally the past million years. All the high points and low points the past million years have been extremely consistent in their cycle. Except for right now. Right now we're double the high point has ever been.

Prior to the industrial revolution we were ALREADY within a normal earth-cycle HIGH point in both temperature and c02. Now we're double that in c02, and like I said, the temperature rose 2 degrees in just 100 years. It normally takes about 1,000-3,000 years to see that kind of temperature rise during the earths observed natural cycles of the past million years.

Why the sudden spike in c02? Us. Why the sudden spike in temperature? Us boosting the c02.

How is this so difficult to see? Anyone who can refute this is literally just in denial.

There IS a political question to be had here, but the political question is not "should we believe it" the political question is "should we do anything different".

Do you not know how to interpret this data? Serious question.
    Do you realize that data is 130 years out of 4.6 million? Serious question.

0.000028% of the earth's existence. I'm not sure you're understanding that.

Quote Originally Posted by Monta Ellis MVP
    If you told CavsFTW the sky is falling he would duck and cover.
    Why because I payed attention during data analysis in school and you didn't?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Why because I payed attention during data analysis in school and you didn't?
    You paid too much attention in Homo Wilt Love 101 doe.