Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Despite losing Rhonda Rousey was successful....

in conning the American public, hopefully it never happens again.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Definitely.

And I saw a lot of people last night saying they thought she was a c0cky cunnt, but in the interviews I've seen where she wasn't directly promoting a fight, she actually seemed pretty sweet and likable. Of course she has to be brash and arrogant when she's hyping up specific fights. That's what she's supposed to do. I think "IRL" so-to-speak she seems like a pretty cool chick.
    dunno about that, she is incredibly petty and acts like a bully. She went after one of the UFC ring girls I remember for no reason other than the fact she makes a living off her face, which ironically is something that Ronda wants to do as well. Ronda just has this deep seeded insecurity based on the fact she was a fat ugly girl in hs and never quite left that girl behind her. Her entire persona now seems like revenge of the nerds.

I'm gonna be really interested in seeing how she comes back from this. Her popularity was based on this aura of invincibility and no matter what happens now that is gone. How will they promote her next fight. It will be interesting

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    She was used to help promote women's fighting in the UFC and the whole plan worked to a T. Take a look at the OTC. There hasn't been this many threads about a UFC in literally years.
    At the end of the day UFC is a business. Using Rhonda to play the part of heal has brought attention to the division. We all have to admit we never wanted women fighting in the UFC. Yet we all tuned in to this fight. Product successfully sold.
    When I was at an event with BJ Penn it was during the time Penn was fighting GSP. I got to hang with him for the weekend and he was the coolest athlete I had ever met. I came out and said, "bro, the UFC makes you out to be an ass." He said he accepted the role of bad guy to help promote the fight. It was all an act. Coincidentally I had met GSP soon after and he was the biggest arrogant asshole I've ever met in the sport.
    Rhonda did what she set out to do was troll the world of sports. To capture the exact audience that refused to accept her division. Considered yourself trolled
    The difference is GSP and BJ Penn are really great fighters. It's nice to hear that Penn is a good guy and I'm not surprised GSP is an asshole, but I'd still have a lot of interest in them fighting just from a perspective of skill. In my experiences, it isn't a good idea to meet your favorite athletes. Occasionally you'll run into a really down to earth cat, but they'll disappoint you for the most part.

The thing that bothered me about Rousey wasn't so much her arrogance or playing the part of a heel... it was everyone acting as if she was/is a great fighter, could compete against (any) males and that it was somehow mysogony to argue against it. All this while completely turning a blind eye to the (terrible) level of competition. That's why I was happy to see her so completely embarrassed by an over-the-hill ex-female-boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by STATUTORY
    dunno about that, she is incredibly petty and acts like a bully. She went after one of the UFC ring girls I remember for no reason other than the fact she makes a living off her face, which ironically is something that Ronda wants to do as well. Ronda just has this deep seeded insecurity based on the fact she was a fat ugly girl in hs and never quite left that girl behind her. Her entire persona now seems like revenge of the nerds.

I'm gonna be really interested in seeing how she comes back from this. Her popularity was based on this aura of invincibility and no matter what happens now that is gone. How will they promote her next fight. It will be interesting
    Bro, you got trolled. Mission accomplished.

Truth is we don't know her personally. Only through how she represented through the UFC. She got you to buy in and actually be interested in women's MMA

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The difference is GSP and BJ Penn are really great fighters. It's nice to hear that Penn is a good guy and I'm not surprised GSP is an asshole, but I'm not surprised. In my experiences, it isn't a good idea to meet your favorite athletes. Occasionally you'll run into a really down to earth cat, but they'll disappoint you for the most part.

The thing that bothered me about Rousey wasn't so much her arrogance or playing the part of a heel... it was everyone acting as if she was/is a great fighter, could compete against (any) males and that it was somehow mysogony to argue against it. All this while completely turning a blind eye to the (terrible) level of competition. That's why I was happy to see her so completely embarrassed by an over-the-hill ex-female-boxer.
    Who tried to sell it more? Was it Rousey or Dana White and the UFC? The media created the idea, White milked it, and Rousey played along. In the end it worked.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    even Trump is joining in on the fun

Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
    Glad to see that @RondaRousey lost her championship fight last night. Was soundly beaten - not a nice person!

Banned

She was used to help promote women's fighting in the UFC and the whole plan worked to a T. Take a look at the OTC. There hasn't been this many threads about a UFC in literally years.
    At the end of the day UFC is a business. Using Rhonda to play the part of heal has brought attention to the division. We all have to admit we never wanted women fighting in the UFC. Yet we all tuned in to this fight. Product successfully sold.
    When I was at an event with BJ Penn it was during the time Penn was fighting GSP. I got to hang with him for the weekend and he was the coolest athlete I had ever met. I came out and said, "bro, the UFC makes you out to be an ass." He said he accepted the role of bad guy to help promote the fight. It was all an act. Coincidentally I had met GSP soon after and he was the biggest arrogant asshole I've ever met in the sport.
    Rhonda did what she set out to do was troll the world of sports. To capture the exact audience that refused to accept her division. Considered yourself trolled
    Was pretty played up for the media. They picked her well too, she went all over the internet in to other nieches when she started talking about pokemon too.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Who tried to sell it more? Was it Rousey or Dana White and the UFC? The media created the idea, White milked it, and Rousey played along. In the end it worked.
    It sort of reminds me of Naseem Hamed, only on a much less skilled scale. The media and general public ate him up and called him a GOAT because he had a funky style. Real boxing fans saw through it and just waited for him to fight someone to expose his (obvious) weaknesses. Once that happened, his career was literally over... he retired.

He was ultimately good for boxing because he was entertaining and people either loved him or hated him, but once the mystique was shattered, there was no putting it back together.

Will the same happen to Rousey?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    It sort of reminds me of Naseem Hamed, only on a much less skilled scale. The media and general public ate him up and called him a GOAT because he had a funky style. Real boxing fans saw through it and just waited for him to fight someone to expose his (obvious) weaknesses. Once that happened, his career was literally over... he retired.

He was ultimately good for boxing because he was entertaining and people either loved him or hated him, but once the mystique was shattered, there was no putting it back together.

Will the same happen to Rousey?
    I don't think so. Holm wrecked her. She is now the face of the women's division and she won't be able to sell it. Unless the do a heal to hero story.

I rule the local playground

I don't think so. Holm wrecked her. She is now the face of the women's division and she won't be able to sell it. Unless the do a heal to hero story.
    this is why UFC will not last the test of time, it's basically a shoot wrestling promotion. you're even using wrestling terms. every talking head talked about how she is the greatest female athlete , totally shitting on people even like serena williams that are still active, not to mention any female athlete in history. i basically do not see the UFC as anything more than a offshoot for the WWE.

   

btw i see some people saying that this is going to be the death of the UFC's women's divisions, but i don't agree.

nah, i think the story of where rousey goes from here is huge. the story of how the giant-killer holds up is also huge. cyborg still looms on the horizon and arguably can grab the belt from holly. not to mention, suddenly and overnight the rest of the 135ers got a huge infusion of life and hope... that NOW there's a successful blueprint for beating rousey that they can hope to follow, and NOW they can test themselves against the new champ and hope to beat her. whether or not those things are realistic for any of them doesn't really matter right now.

not to mention, joanna jedi has become a pretty big draw on her own. and although not as dominating as say, mighty mouse, she may be the bigger draw at this point.

so yeah, rousey did a great job launching women's MMA in the UFC and maybe she'll be a dominating champion again, but i think women's MMA will be okay at this point. sooner or later the crossover appeal of rousey had to slow down for various possible reasons, and sooner or later women's MMA has to be bigger than her. and i think that fortunately it is.

btw i realised this just now-- last night's fight was basically the boxer using the judo player's own force and emotions against them. talk about getting things backwards!

   

also i think some of you guys are overestimating the show wrestling aspect of ronda, specifically about being a heel.

i mean, she was always much more than just a heel (or narcissistic bitch if you will)... she was also a fascinating story for various reasons. she was also an uber-dominating champion, which is always a draw no matter what. she's also a pretty face and a nice body, so there's the fantasy element as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    also i think some of you guys are overestimating the show wrestling aspect of ronda, specifically about being a heel.

i mean, she was always much more than just a heel (or narcissistic bitch if you will)... she was also a fascinating story for various reasons. she was also an uber-dominating champion, which is always a draw no matter what. she's also a pretty face and a nice body, so there's the fantasy element as well.

Slow down on the pretty face/body.....

She is average...slightly above on a good day..

But in a sport where there are tons of monsters ..she stands out I guess..

I'm also used to pulling top shelf HOs ....so my judgement may be biased

Banned

The guy was a huge prick. Not necessarily to me but the group we were with. We went out for dinner with him through a promotion group after a trade show signing. At the restaurant he complained all night. Anyone that tried to start a conversation he immediately shut them down. He got a little drunk off wine. He would see girls walk by and ask them to sit on his lap. Being somewhat vulgar. I thought he was a big dick head.
    Are you serious dude?

he lives a different life than you. and why would he wanna converse with you or your friends?

he was probably just being completely normal and you perceive it as him being a dick because he showed you no attention.