Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: That awkward moment when a anchor calls the shooters actors... twice.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Not at all.. I just thought it was bizarre. I didn't say anything else about it, did I?

The anchor using the word actor implies he was an actor. Unless he was deliberately going out of his way to not say suspect because the shooter was a Muslim. That, I could see happening.

I guess it's not so common is it?

Were the police and victims actors too, then, according to you? Not victims, actors.
    Come on bruh. You started the thread for a very obvious and transparent reason.

Just always remember that jet fuel cannot melt steal beams.

Default Re: That awkward moment when a anchor calls the shooters actors... twice.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    yall are making too much of this

actors as in participants
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/actor

one that takes part in any affair

<Benjamin Franklin was a major actor in many of the events leading up to the founding of our nation.>
    that awkward moment when OP doesnt know what the word "actor" means

It is strange terminology to use for this situation considering how people tend to view these events. I don't generally use the term "actor" to describe participants in a story. I use actors to describe actors in a movie or a play.

That's how most use it too ....well, except apparently this news anchor now.

Banned

Benjamin Franklin was a major actor in many of the events leading up to the founding of our nation.
    I loved his work in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. And that one fake shooting in Colorado.

Unless he was deliberately going out of his way to not say suspect because the shooter was a Muslim. That, I could see happening.

I guess it's not so common is it?

Were the police and victims actors too, then, according to you? Not victims, actors.
    A suspect is someone suspected of a crime. After you've shot it out with the cops, I think the suspicon goes away.

Also I don't think anyone knew who the shooters were at this point. So how would they know the shooter was a muslim? The news guy they have been caught which sounds like he doesn't know they are dead yet.

Dondadda slaying you over sensitive nerds.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    It is strange terminology to use for this situation considering how people tend to view these events. I don't generally use the term "actor" to describe participants in a story. I use actors to describe actors in a movie or a play.

That's how most use it too ....well, except apparently this news anchor now.
    No not really. Words have multiple definitions and contextually, the anchor's use of the word actor is perfectly fine and understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/actor

that awkward moment when OP doesnt know what the word "actor" means
    The victims were actors too then, correct? That's what you're saying? The police too? We can call them all actors and nobody would think twice.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    A suspect is someone suspected of a crime. After you've shot it out with the cops, I think the suspicon goes away.

Also I don't think anyone knew who the shooters were at this point. So how would they know the shooter was a muslim? The news guy they have been caught which sounds like he doesn't know they are dead yet.
    Go back and look at the thread on the shooting.

Even ISH knew one of the shooter's names hours before it was released. Police called it out over the scanner. The employees who worked there knew who it was.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    yeah, actor doesn't simply mean one who pretends.

Also from the voice, it sounds like the ex-FBI guy MSNBC had on as an analyst yesterday.

I learned recently what this type of thing is called. It's known as anomaly hunting

And it's a backwards looking process.

It's related to the hindsight fallacy. After 9/11 occurred anything having to do with planes or flight schools becomes a giant blinking red light.
    Before 9/11 it might be one bit of data amongst hundreds, thousands or more. Before 9/11, you might have a bunch of grey dots on a page, you're following your hunch as to which dots are important. After 9/11 you get several points glowing red and you can start connecting this easily. The other dots become less important.

Conspiracy theorists love anomalies because they start with the conclusion first and look backwards.

They don't say. Something happened. Why did it happen?
    They say. Something happened and it was the result of a conspiracy.
    When you look at something like Loose Change documentary. They cherry-pick dozens of anomalies from the like trillion bits of details that occurred across the country and they build a story out of it. And we love stories and our brains love making connections. (Hence, why Candy Crush is played more than a billion times a day.) So we latch on to the story look for evidence that supports the story. This is a glitch in the human brain, this is why conspiracy theorists appear on the left and the right and among the smart and the dumb. Unless you are rigorous about questioning yourself and remaining skeptical, your brain is going to make that leap.

This is why there's several versions of the Loose Change movie. People pointed out several things that were wrong, they didn't change their conclusion, they made a new edit of the film and just dropped some of the anomalies that didn't support their preexisting conclusion.
    Good post from you for once.

코비=GOAT

The victims were actors too then, correct? That's what you're saying? The police too? We can call them all actors and nobody would think twice.
    No you idiot. Actor simply means one who commits or does an act. The victims were VICTIMS of the act.

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    No not really. Words have multiple definitions and contextually, the anchor's use of the word actor is perfectly fine and understandable.

I know but we don't run around telling everyone how gay we are because we feel super happy.

What do you mean "thats what you're saying"? I am not saying anything, the dictionary is saying it. I didnt write the definition of the word "actor".

I know but we don't run around telling everyone how gay we are because we feel super happy.
    What a dumb comparison. Jesus.

코비=GOAT

Your example is completely irrelevant. Use of words and deduction of meaning comes from context. I could say "I'm gay because my baby was born" and from context, the sense I used gay in would be understandable.

In the example in the OP, the anchor was referring to the 3 ACTORS who were suspected of committing an ACT.