Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vegetarians responsible for global warming

[QUOTE]Are vegetarians to blame for climate change? Researchers find lettuce is 'three times worse than BACON' for emissions

Sticking to a vegetarian diet may not be as beneficial to the environment as you think

Local High School Star HitandRun Reggie's Avatar

Default Re: Vegetarians responsible for global warming

Another thing people usually ignore is that eating organic vegetables is worse for "global warming" than eating conventional. Organic yields are 20%-30% less than conventional but take the same amount of tractor work, and manpower traveling to the fields. Actually workers picking organic need to be more selective, requiring more man hours and days driving to the field to complete the harvest.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

so meat eaters don't eat any vegetables either?

I heard that bicycles actually cause more global-climate-warming-change than cars or coal. True story.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

I heard that there's this big ball of fire centrally located in our solar system called the Sun that's primarily responsible for our temperature, and that the Sun goes through cycles that cause the temperature to increase.

It's all fu[COLOR="Black"]ck[/COLOR]ed eventually, so I'm gonna eat my meat and vegetables in peace.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    I heard that there's this big ball of fire centrally located in our solar system called the Sun that's primarily responsible for our temperature, and that the Sun goes through cycles that cause the temperature to increase.

Im not following you here... Unless this 'Sun' comes down to Earth on a regular basis and drives a gas guzzler all over the place, how is it going to affect the earths temperature? The Sun is like, a thousand miles away from the sky.

Just makes no sense.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Regardless of the cause, are we agreeing that global warming is man made?

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

It's reported that the livestock industry contributes to nearly half of the worlds pollution and is twice as much as the entire transportation industry. Cows are especially the main culprit as they fart out methane, take enormous amount of resources to fatten and mature(Water, grain, corn, etc) and aren't as productive as other animals. And all their waste? Unregulated straight into the ocean which is slowly making all the fish extinct..

Only a few vegetables like walnuts, almonds are very bad in terms of water consumption.

All I know is, it's the middle of December, I can walk outside with a short sleeve shirt, and I'm good. Feels like New York is little Cali

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Regardless of the cause, are we agreeing that global warming is man made?
    Not convinced just yet. Certainly we're a factor.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    It's reported that the livestock industry contributes to nearly half of the worlds pollution and is twice as much as the entire transportation industry. Cows are especially the main culprit as they fart out methane, take enormous amount of resources to fatten and mature(Water, grain, corn, etc) and aren't as productive as other animals. And all their waste? Unregulated straight into the ocean which is slowly making all the fish extinct..

Only a few vegetables like walnuts, almonds are very bad in terms of water consumption.

Agreed. There are simply too many humans on the planet. The demand for both livestock and agriculture are too great. Period.

Of course, explan this to some of the softer ISH posters, and all you get is heaps of denial and smarmy trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing

does anybody know a scientist? we should let them know this!

Shit was debunked real quick... anyone with a basic understanding of biology, ecology, and trophic levels knows that study is bullshit. Meat is far worse for the environment.

That being said I love me some chicken/pork/etc

   

maybe there was a good reason for this particular study, but comparing by calorie is a fool's errand. not to mention, the health industry costs of eating meat were not factored in, and they are enormous.

also, multiple prior studies have already found that the water costs of raising meat is far higher than for vegetables. fresh water is one of the most precious and vanishing resources right now.

if these jokers wanted to do something which actually matters, they might study the pesticide and heavy metal levels of various diets and look for the safest one... even better, one with a low resource impact.