Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1219202122

Default Re: Unpopular Opinion: (Review w/spoilers) The Force Awakens was not a very good movie.

George "invented" a pop-culture icon in star wars (almost incidentally, he never tried to do it it just happened that way) - Disney by contrast is going to play this way safe and just milk the success of OTHER pop culture references and trends. Feminism and multiculturalism is popular right now so that's what they'll do with their characters. When George made Star Wars pop culture was all about adult themed anti-heroes. He actually strayed far from that path and the film making industry at that time thought the movie would be a disaster as a result. He took a huge risk.

The biggest flaw in this entire force awakens movie is that the priority was to not offend anyone - it was the antithesis of risk taking and vision (the actual recipe for Star Wars). George Lucas - despite the many flaws and criticisms from his own movies, was always out to tell his story no matter what anyone thought, he was a maverick in film making who never cared about awards or Hollywood and you can tell from every interview he's ever done that he didn't like the industry. And it created a high upside even to his movies people didn't favorably review that we'd always see some risk being taken to deliver us the star wars story/universe - there was always something that still made you respect the movies or say wow. To innovate and experiment with vastly different worlds, and vastly different creatures. Even editing techniques (4 or 5 different converging plot lines at the end of episode 1. He tried it. No one else in big expensive movies had the balls to try it.) Many things obviously didn't sit well but that's not the kind of risks Disney will EVER take with this brand, we won't see anything dramatically new or immersive in this new series ever again. They are not about being maverick, they are about profit and sticking to the market research.

We will see pop culture reference after pop culture reference and nostalgic plug after nostalgic plug because that's what will sell to most people. Disney is trying to make fan-feel-good-movies. But for some fans like myself that actually isn't satisfying because I'm getting nothing new.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 12-31-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Sunshine State

Default Re: Unpopular Opinion: (Review w/spoilers) The Force Awakens was not a very good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Rey was written as a hero for modern feminists and social justice warriors.

"I don't need men, nor help from anyone I'm a strong independent woman hear me roar"

It's too much though. The audience can't even feel the threats coming her way because she just gets out of everything because she seemingly knows how to get out of every situation despite growing up a sheltered orphan who salvaged trash for a living. As people pointed out, even Luke needed a great deal of help. Without vulnerability there is no drama. Force awakens falls flat in terms of drama due to the implausible strength of Rey. Kind of ruined the entire idea of the force to make her so powerful within 20 minutes when it took Luke (son of the chosen one) 6 years (with training from Yoda and Obi Wan) to reach the same level of power.
    Agreed 100%.

Movie sucks.

This is the film equivalent to McDonalds.

Billions of dollars spend on bullshit.

But enjoy your Happy Meals, kiddies.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

It's a Star Wars movie guys... And it was entertaining

It's not No Country for Old Men... It's Star Wars

I feel bad for you if you couldn't enjoy this because you're an overly cynical fck tard fggit.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Rey didn't know more about the Falcon then Han. She knew that her boss put a fuel compressor and hyperspace compressor in it. When she fixes the ship and says "I bypassed the compressor" it seems like all she did was rip out the compressor her boss put in.

Is that so hard to believe? A girl who scavenges old ships and has a boss who tells her about mods he put in to ships figured out where the compressor would be and ripped it out?
    I think you are referring to me, right? I didn't say that she knew more about about the ship than Han, but I said that she knows about about the ship that he did not pick up on, about the compressor thing. That itself isn't alone to bother me as much as a complication of things in where she is good at everything. Flying the ship, helping Han with the compressor, force using, and all of that stuff. It either outshines or put her in a similar league. It's Mary Sueish at it's core.

Anakin destroyed the trade federation space station his very first time ever flying a starfighter.
    Yeah, but that was cringe worthy than complete stupid. That happened mostly by accident or just dumb luck if I can recall. He got to the space station using auto pilot. The fact that he just happens to crash main Trade Federation ship, that he accidentally fire at the power core, and just left was silly luck. It had the cliche of a kids movie, but the movie itself didn't know what it wanted to be. But that's a whole rant entirely.

He also was the first human ever to complete a pod race.
    Anakin raced before, so he had experience. He and Qui Gon build a custom pod that's faster than any pod that Watto had before if I can remember. The reason why Anakin was good at pod racing was because of his unusual connection to the force, being the chosen one. Being force sensitive, he had quick reflexes. They explained this in the movie in comparison to Rey in which there is no explanation at all.

Anakin was also 9 years old in this movie I believe.

Luke defeated 300,000 baddies in the first movie he appeared in.
    Y'know what I meant. He couldn't take on Vader in the first movie. And even with the fodder stormtroppers, he got saved by Han, Obi-Wan, and bit of luck.
    Last edited by Micku; 12-31-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    It's a Star Wars movie guys... And it was entertaining

It's not No Country for Old Men... It's Star Wars

I feel bad for you if you couldn't enjoy this because you're an overly cynical fck tard fggit.
    Hah. Well, the original trilogy was better paced and other movies that came out that was "entertaining" was also better pace to me. I am not going to accept this movie as great if there prior movies of the same franchise did it better. I'm going to point it out. I still like the movie, and waaay better acting than the prequels, but there are problems.

1. Rey is a Mary Sue.

2. It was a rehash of the A New Hope. (a similar critcism that JJ Abrams Star Trek Into The Darkness had)

The movie left me with a sour taste, but I look forward into seeing in where they would take the characters. Hopefully they can be more original next time and have an explanation of how Rey learn the force so quickly and better pacing with developing the characters.

And I think the book explains some things that I would have a problem with. The problem with that is that you can't take the movie as a stand alone. That sucks. In the book, Star Wars The Force Awakens: Before the Awakening and the novelization of The Force Awakens, explains some things that should've been in the movie.

Like she fixed freighters and make it flyable. She repaired and replace hyper drives. She has friends on Jakku. She does have some sort of flight experience. She found dome data chips which contain a flight simulator, and she pushed herself to be a master at it. She has been on board the Falcon before. She snuck into it and fiddle around. When she does use the force, Kylo Ren was much more surprise than he was in the movie and said something like: "It IS you!"

TOO BAD NONE OF THIS WAS IN THE MOVIE!! *grumbles*
    Last edited by Micku; 12-31-2015 at 09:15 PM.

It's episode 7, they didn't want to spend a lot of time showing Rey "learn the force"...we've been there, done that.

She's Luke's daughter, he probably created her without having sex somehow...he just jerked off and shot out a blast of midiclorians and a baby girl was suddenly there.

It's episode 7, they didn't want to spend a lot of time showing Rey "learn the force"...we've been there, done that.

She's Luke's daughter, he probably created her without having sex somehow...he just jerked off and shot out a blast of midiclorians and a baby girl was suddenly there.
    If they didn't want to go that way, then they shouldn't put her in a situation where she is similar to Luke in which she needed to have training in order to do the force abilities. I can even accept that she's been practicing the force on off-screen or before the events of the movie but she didn't know what it was or something. But this was her first time using the force and there was no context. If Luke didn't do it, Anakin didn't do it, the other protagonists in books, games, and comic books didn't do this, why should she without explanation? It's bull.

That maybe the reason. But at least hint at it? Mention it? Show other characters to be more astonish of her ability to do something that nobody has ever done before without training? A simple sentence would do, saying that "You're special, but I don't know why" or something. I dunno. Anything that involves of some type of intrigue than acting like it's normal or it's not too out of the ordinary.

I can fully accept her to being a prodigy of the force that nobody has ever seen before if the movie acknowledge that as well. They didn't in this movie. Hopefully they would in the next movie, but to me TFA suffers from the dependence of the other movies if that's the case. The next movies will determine if this is a brilliant move or not. Until then, there is too speculation from the audience to fill in the ridiculous writing. Even the novels did a better job than the movie of explaining why Rey could fly. Ergh.

But it seems like my critiques of Rey being a Mary Sue is in the minority. I'm a bit surprise, seeing how this is shun with writing. It makes the character boring, little development room growth and not as reliability. Anyway, they could've been done better to me.
    Last edited by Micku; 12-31-2015 at 09:50 PM.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    But it seems like my critiques of Rey being a Mary Sue is in the minority. I'm a bit surprise, seeing how this is shun with writing. It makes the character boring, little development room growth and not as reliability. Anyway, they could've been done better to me.
    It's a fairly big minority. I agree wholeheartedly with your complaints. The character development issues actually bothered me more than the plot issues. If you go on any site that rates movies and users are allowed to upload reviews (metacritic, imdb, etc.), you will notice that the user review scores are quite a bit lower than the critics. I would say the top two complaints from user reviews that I've read are about #1 plot and #2 character development. It's good that this movie gets criticism and a lot of it early. Makes it much more likely that they wont repeat the same mistakes in the second movie. They still have a chance to turn it around. Hopefully they pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    just saw it. I was entertained, but it was still by far the worst star wars film, BY FAR. I have zero interest in ever watching it a 2nd time. I have seen all of the other films at least 10 times. definetly didn't live up to the hype.

Major complaints...

-The bad guy is ugly as shit. I liked him until he took off his mask and started talking. sorry I don't have anything against ugly people, but I think starring roles in blockbuster hits shouldn't be that ****ing ugly. This bad guy also reeked of incapability.
    So a "major complaint" is the bad guys looks?

You wish he were a typical handsome brunette male like an actual Disney cartoon?

Adam Driver was great in this, and he is great in everything else he has done... He's a good actor with a unique look, they found the right guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Movie sucks.

This is the film equivalent to McDonalds.

Billions of dollars spend on bullshit.

But enjoy your Happy Meals, kiddies.
    Pretty much this.

And people talking about a "Mary Sue" character should have their balls removed. I wish I could spit in your faces.

Everyone has to be a cynical movie reviewer today... It's like some of you go to the movie just to search out and find aspects you hate...

"Oh look at that, the bad guy is ugly, movie sucks"

"Oh shit, the lead is a female, obviously they just want to make feminists happy, movie sucks"

Banned

So a "major complaint" is the bad guys looks?

You wish he were a typical handsome brunette male like an actual Disney cartoon?

Adam Driver was great in this, and he is great in everything else he has done... He's a good actor with a unique look, they found the right guy.
    Yes I prefer good looking people. Perhaps the guy didn't even need to be good looking. Just not as ugly as what the guy was.

Once the guy took the helmet off I was immedietly turned off.

It didn't help that his confident and dominating persona immediately turned to that of a wimpering unsure ******* without his helmet. Who the **** wants to see that in a main villain? Vader, the Emperor, Maul, even Fett are all rolling over in their graves.

Banned

Prequels were somewhat original

TFA was just a rehash

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMontana
    Yes I prefer good looking people. Perhaps the guy didn't even need to be good looking. Just not as ugly as what the guy was.

Once the guy took the helmet off I was immedietly turned off.

It didn't help that his confident and dominating persona immediately turned to that of a wimpering unsure ******* without his helmet. Who the **** wants to see that in a main villain? Vader, the Emperor, Maul, even Fett are all rolling over in their graves.