Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: OKC almost was GS before GS

Love is a good post defender but he doesn't have those jazz feet to defend like Bosh or Draymond in the pick and roll

That's why they play Thompson alot

The original small-ball line up could have been:

Serge Ibaka
    Jeff Green
    Kevin Durant
    James Harden
    Russell Westbrook

But I guess the world was not quite ready for small ball just yet.

So they sacrificed Green (and, by extension, Harden) so they could have Kendrick Perkins. Can't blame them for that.
    Good post.

Though I think the real reason was that:

A: OKC wasn't a good organization like GS is; it was very obvious that they cared only about the bottom line and were penny-pinchers. They lost James Harden over 6 million dollars. Offered him 54; he left for 60 and they didn't match. It's 3 years later, and now every player in the top 6 of a roster is signing for 80. They didn't care about winning and they didn't know how to look to the future and see how salaries would go up.

B: They didn't get lucky like GS did. They thought they had to choose between Harden and Ibaka because they already had 2 guys with max deals. They had to negotiate with Harden when his stock was high. But GS, because of timing and injuries, got to negotiate with Curry when his stock was very low (indeed, lower than Monta Ellis'!). With him signed long term, they didn't have to choose between Klay and Draymond; they got them both for max or near-max deals. As good an organization as GS is, sincere about winning and maintaining chemistry, I bet they'll have to let Barnes go for this same reason. Luckily, Barnes isn't and never will be a top 3 player on this team; and is inessential to any dynasty, unlike Harden.

But yes, if they had the coin, the luck, and the willingness, Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Green/Ibaka would be a dynasty. It's too bad.

All that said, though, they will keep Durant this summer, because he still has it very good in OKC. He has great chemistry with Westbrook and most of the rest of the team, and they still can win a title or two with what they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulAngel
    Love is nowhere near the defender that Bosh is.
    He isn't, though the Cavs proved last finals that you can sag off Draymond and he won't hurt you consistently. I won't say I know the exact stats, but I'm guessing his main weapon off the PnR is the pass? Sagging off isn't a bad idea in that case.

Great college starter SyRyanYang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    He isn't, though the Cavs proved last finals that you can sag off Draymond and he won't hurt you consistently. I won't say I know the exact stats, but I'm guessing his main weapon off the PnR is the pass? Sagging off isn't a bad idea in that case.
    Yeah but that was last year, take a look at the numbers Draymond has been putting up this year.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
    Love is a good post defender but he doesn't have those jazz feet to defend like Bosh or Draymond in the pick and roll

That's why they play Thompson alot
    No he isn't a great defender but that wasn't the point. It's not like Green is going to drop 40 on him. The truth is that with Kyrie and Love I don't see how the Cavs lose the Finals. First of all, you have 2 more guys more than capable of scoring, so Lebron's usage drops and his efficiency increases. Second, Curry has to work on defense against Irving, or if they put Klay on Kyrie , then he has to run after Smith through the screens. He has to put some work. With Love out there, you have way better spacing and can play Irving,Shump/JR,James,Love,TT when GSW is going small. Third, the Cavs can actually run an offense and not Lebron iso's all game, so that provides diversity and the Warriors defense must stay alert. Bonus, JR has to do way less and maybe he has 1 or 2 hot games like he did against the Bulls and Hawks.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    They can just have Love at center to counter GSW.

Draymond isn't really a scoring threat and goes through confidence issues at times. He has become a great passer though. But he won't be dropping huge numbers on Love, no matter how average a defender he is.
    That counter sucks. Love is a defensive liability.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hopper15
    That counter sucks. Love is a defensive liability.
    I would pay to see Love try and guard Draymond from the top of the key with a live dribble, with no mozgov or TT behind him.. would be funny as hell

Harden wouldn't have been PMVP.

College superstar VengefulAngel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    I would pay to see Love try and guard Draymond from the top of the key with a live dribble, with no mozgov or TT behind him.. would be funny as hell
    He would just be waiting to rebound once it's gone in.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by VengefulAngel
    Lebron is an idiot, Miami was perfectly suited to beat this GSW's team. A few tweaks ( e.g SA) they would have been winning titles for years to come.
    What would be the changes? Most of that supporting cast was at the end of their careers.