Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2330313233
Results 481 to 490 of 490
  1. #481
    5-time NBA All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    11,533

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    The spurs first and second titles were "grit" by any measure you can think of...
    They were definitely very close. They were probably the best frontcourt in the league in the first run, which was in a freak shortened year. They could go over the top of most teams so they didn't have to out hustle or out tough teams throughout the year. Things were weird that year. My Knicks were a grit team and we thought it was one of our not so good teams. There was the strike and no team looked good that year.

    SA didn't run into a much of a good team in that whole playoffs. But Mario Elie, and Malik Rose as the grit they were indeed among the toughest at their positions but its hard to lead a team from the peripheral. People still talk about How Avery took leadership of that team. And he was nowhere near the level that Isiah was on. Malik and Jackson as the grit in the second run. But their execution was really good. It was unbalanced as far as Duncan having too much of the weight, but that team had consistent deep (seriously 12 deep) contributions all bench complimented each other, 3 very skilled consistent shooters in Smith, Bowen, Kerr, two very good penetrators in Claxton and Parker, with great Duncan play, all of which hustle and bustle teams rarely have.

  2. #482
    NBA lottery pick
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    5,645

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    They were definitely very close. They were probably the best frontcourt in the league in the first run, which was in a freak shortened year. They could go over the top of most teams so they didn't have to out hustle or out tough teams throughout the year. Things were weird that year. My Knicks were a grit team and we thought it was one of our not so good teams. There was the strike and no team looked good that year.

    SA didn't run into a much of a good team in that whole playoffs. But Mario Elie, and Malik Rose as the grit they were indeed among the toughest at their positions but its hard to lead a team from the peripheral. People still talk about How Avery took leadership of that team. And he was nowhere near the level that Isiah was on. Malik and Jackson as the grit in the second run. But their execution was really good. It was unbalanced as far as Duncan having too much of the weight, but that team had consistent deep (seriously 12 deep) contributions all bench complimented each other, 3 very skilled consistent shooters in Smith, Bowen, Kerr, two very good penetrators in Claxton and Parker, with great Duncan play, all of which hustle and bustle teams rarely have.
    Bowen wasn't on that team....Kerr played 8 minutes a game in the playoffs and was the 9th spur in minutes, 12? They only played 7 guys in each playoff game. There was also no smith. No parker. No claxton?

    I point most of this out in part because you keep bringing up your memory of a series from the 80's 25+ years ago for why a player is so great, yet you can't remember the 99 finals with YOUR team in it.

  3. #483
    5-time NBA All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    11,533

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    Bowen wasn't on that team....Kerr played 8 minutes a game in the playoffs and was the 9th spur in minutes, 12? They only played 7 guys in each playoff game. There was also no smith. No parker. No claxton?

    I point most of this out in part because you keep bringing up your memory of a series from the 80's 25+ years ago for why a player is so great, yet you can't remember the 99 finals with YOUR team in it.
    learning to read would help solve a lot of your problems. Or maybe you don't know what second run means? Or you're probably drunk. I point out most of this in totality because you're impeccable in getting things wrong. But with any type of thinking you should have caught yourself as I had other transitions in there as well. Interpreting a game is really going to be hard if two paragraphs (should have been three) is going to bug you out. I see why you need stats.

  4. #484
    Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    40 Degree Baltimore
    Posts
    1,746

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    I don't think it's Isiah being overrated so much as the depth of that team is underrated. Isiah was undoubtedly the leader of that team, maybe he was the engine that made the car go, but the car was equipped. Their talent outside of their two best guys (Thomas and Dumars) was terrific and they had an excellent bench. That bench helped Detroit almost come back from a 15 point deficit of game 7 in the 88' Finals.

  5. #485
    Local High School Star houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,353

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
    I don't think it's Isiah being overrated so much as the depth of that team is underrated. Isiah was undoubtedly the leader of that team, maybe he was the engine that made the car go, but the car was equipped. Their talent outside of their two best guys (Thomas and Dumars) was terrific and they had an excellent bench. That bench helped Detroit almost come back from a 15 point deficit of game 7 in the 88' Finals.

    Kinda like 2015 warriors or 2014 spurs

  6. #486
    2Willd & 2Fresh est.86 Real14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    17,945

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    Isiah had 2/3 rings, wasn't allowed to play in Olympics cuz Jordan was hating on him, etc etc. Top 10 of all time too, stop hating kids.

  7. #487
    Serious playground baller
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist View Post
    Today's stat geeks would never understand Isiah. NOBODY cares about Chris Paul. He has zero personality. Zero intangibles. He couldn't lead ants to a picnic. I would take a team built around Isiah any day of the week over a team built around Chris Paul or whoever else is mentioned in this thread. I know a team built around Isiah will be intelligent, play with maximum effort and compete against anybody. Basketball is more than the numbers a guy can post. It is played by real people with personalities, goals, likes, dislikes, favorite spots on the floor, etc. Give me a guy that can relate to and lead people over a guy that can give me box score numbers that impress ISH. Chris Paul will get you 25/10 and lose every year.

    Any documentary on the Bad Boy Pistons is as much about Isiah alone as the rest of the organization combined. He was that dude. He got the best out of every one else and they admit it.
    Dumbest shit Iíve ever read. Let go of your shitty era you old stupid ****, and take more pride in your opinions.

    Isiah is the most overrated player maybe in the history of the sport.

    Chris Paul is visibly better. Tighter handle, better defender, smoother jumper, better vision, and this horseshit about him as a leader just went uncontested in this thread somehow. Intelligence? You think Chris Paul of all people lacks that?

    Again your emotion MEANS NOTHING. Stop using it like a dumb woman to find some sort of logic. You look like a dumb bitch if you do.

  8. #488
    Serious playground baller
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    I have no idea why Isiah missing the dream team causes controversy.

    Terry Porter was a two-way monster absolutely shredding in the regular season and postseason. KJ was the best offensive PG on the planet other than Magic. Stockton existed. Dumars was clearly better than Isiah by that point and it was known.

    Mark Price was even easily better by the time 90’s started.

    Isiah was basically Chris Paul with an auto-immune disease and fried quick twitch muscles at that point. No jumper, intermediate playmaking for his usage/playstyle and fading as a defender with his athleticism.

    THAT people actually believe Isiah should’ve made it just shown winning bias for the previous titles and the power of media narratives people still bring up. Isiah is more of a literal legend than an all-time great.

  9. #489
    Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,908

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    He is probably rated as top 20-25 all-time. At PG I would have him 3rd behind Magic and Oscar.

    I do think he is forgotten (except this week ), though, because he was overshadowed by Magic, Bird, Kareem, Jordan in the same era.

  10. #490
    Serious playground baller
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock View Post
    He is probably rated as top 20-25 all-time. At PG I would have him 3rd behind Magic and Oscar.

    I do think he is forgotten (except this week ), though, because he was overshadowed by Magic, Bird, Kareem, Jordan in the same era.
    That’s nothing you can back up. This ***** wasn’t overshadowed by them? He’s ****ing used as this mediocre legend to romanticize an era.

    It’s an intellectual crime to this he was anything other than a normal star guard on a deep team at his BEST. And by his last non-All star deserving seasons, an average player getting treated like a stud at his worst.

    Since the only specific thing you typed in this post was 20-25, actually break down those 5. That’s a very specific and almost definitely arbitrary section, but I’ll give you a chance to make some sense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •