Default Offensive punch of Wilt, Kareem, Shaq broken down in chart form per shots attempted:

Default Re: Offensive punch of Wilt, Kareem, Shaq broken down in chart form per shots attempted:

Maybe I am reading the chart wrong, but without looking it, I believe KAJ had something like 8 50+ point games, with a high of 55.

Default Re: Offensive punch of Wilt, Kareem, Shaq broken down in chart form per shots attempted:

Forget my previous post. I think I understand it now.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

did you factor in that wilt played against 6'5'' janitors

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    did you factor in that wilt played against 6'5'' janitors
    You mean Shaq, right?

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...hayesch01.html

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chuck-Hayes-110/

6-5 1/2

I don't get the chart. Could you explain it briefly?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

poor example, chuck hayes would of turned out those skinny whiteboy janitors if he played in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hawk

I believe he is averaging the number of FGAs in each game with the exact amount of FGAs, and adding the pts and asts. For example, KAJ had a game of 50 points on 22-39 shooting, with 2 assists (BTW, it came against Wilt....in fact, I would suspect that the majority of his 30+ FGA games came against Chamberlain.)

Wilt had 2 games of 53 FGAs, and averaged 56 pts in both (looks like on relatively poor shooting from the field) with a total of 3 assist (1.5 apg) for an average of 59 pts in those two games.

Looks like Wilt had 9 games of exactly of 47 FGAs, and averaged 57.7 ppg in those nine games, on a 53 FG%, and with his assists in those games, it came to an average of 62.7 ppg+apg.

But I'm sure he can explain it better than myself.

I'll comment more on this topic later.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 01-26-2016 at 04:47 PM.

BTW, it appears to show that Wilt was more efficient from the field, in games of around 10-15FGAs (which were more normal games for KAJ and Shaq.) It does include FT points, but not FT%. And to a certain extent I agree with that premise, since the FTA rules were different in Wilt's era (and even in the early part of KAJ's career.) Furthermore, presumably Wilt and Shaq had far more "and-1's" as well.

Another point too...in Wilt's era the league average eFG%'s were considerably lower than in KAJ's and Shaq's era's. So Chamberlain was shooting more above the league average than those two.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 01-26-2016 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Hawk
    Sure thing.

The first column to the far left indicates the number of shots attempted in a game (1-63)

The next columns (per each player) represent the points they averaged when attempting that number of shots. Then assists. Then field goal percentage. The column with the blue/green is just the sample size. The final column and number is an advanced stat. The points averaged, combined with the minimum amount of assisted points (basically, assists times two). It's called minimum amount of assisted points because whether a shot is 3 points, or an and-1 is not specified so we can only ever assume "at least 2" points.

That advanced stat is a way to sum up the offensive impact a player had when he took X amount of shots.

Does that make sense?

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

shaq lower variance but also less prolific

I can do this for Robinson and Olajuwon as well if you guys would like to see it. But they've got less impact than all 3 of those guys in the OP. The 3 guys in the OP are the most impactful centers on offense of all time. It generally took Hakeem and Robinson more shots to be responsible for less points or points+assists.