Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Playing ball with people who don't give effort.

So last night in our company league game, we kept it close until about halfway into the second half. At that point, one of the guys on our team more or less gave up (even then, it was an 8-10 point game). The guy let his man beat him down the court three times in a row for an easy layup. That essentially made it a 14-16 point game with 10 minutes left, and it was basically over. From then on, it was lazy defense, giving up offensive rebounds, getting beat to every 50/50 ball.

The worst part is, his infectious attitude spread to others and then half the team gave up.

Now I know not everyone can be awesome at basketball, I can accept that. What I can't accept is not giving effort. It doesn't take basketball skill to play defense, and you don't have to be a pro to box out. You damn sure don't have to have ever played organized ball to get back on defense to prevent easy run outs.

Now I'm not saying I am perfect, because I have bad games too, but I can't remember the last game I played where I just gave up. When we first walked into the gym, I asked one of the guys on our team who their best player is, because I want to guard him. Yes, basketball is a team game, but I want their best player every time because I make it my mission to not let them score. That's not a basketball thing, its a mentality thing... It's a 'you may be better than me, but you aren't going to like playing against me' type mentality. Me against you, and in my mind, I am winning every time.

So after this guy gave up back to back to back layups to the same guy, I called a timeout, and blasted him. He was playing awful before that point, but that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yes, this is just a company league, and yes, the games don't count for anything other than a plastic trophy at the end, but my competitive nature won't allow me to just admit defeat and allow someone, especially on the court, to get the best of me. Honestly, if you aren't willing to give the effort to, at the very least, be competitive, then why are you playing?

So the question is, was I wrong in doing that? Or was I justified in pointing out his lack of effort?

Banned

Default Re: Playing ball with people who don't give effort.

I think you are wrong in doing that especially since it is a company league. It means you have to see the guy at work and if you don't see the guy at work then you are going to be talked about. You're going to be 'that dude' that takes it way too serious.

You have to remember not everyone is competitive and some play for the fun. I am like you where I will be super competitive as well but you have to remember, there are guys playing because they want to fit in or be 'one of the guys.' I hope that answers your question on why they are even playing? Maybe they don't want to be at home or have nothing to do.

Should have just forgotten about it since you are playing for a trophy and not a cash reward or bonus.

Come to think about it you were out of line. Did you call him out in front of everyone -or- pulled him aside? There may be an apology coming unless you are in a higher position in the company than he is.

I would have just pulled him aside and say, "bro...something on your mind...you're not hustling out there and we're getting killed...you were doing good and that's why the game was close...but you let your man blow by you on a couple of plays and now the rest of the team is sloppy. Step it up so the team can step up their game...lets communicate out there"

The key to getting maximum effort from peers/teammates is to make them feel important. If they feel like they are letting others down then they give a better effort.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 01-28-2016 at 09:29 AM.

Was he a Muslim or a liberal?
    [COLOR="White"]JK[/COLOR]

Banned

Also, what format were you playing?

2 halves;10 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I think you are wrong in doing that especially since it is a company league. It means you have to see the guy at work and if you don't see the guy at work then you are going to be talked about. You're going to be 'that dude' that takes it way too serious.
    There are 500 people that work here. I have never even seen him before three weeks ago.
    You have to remember not everyone is competitive and some play for the fun. I am like you where I will be super competitive as well but you have to remember, there are guys playing because they want to fit in or be 'one of the guys.' I hope that answers your question on why they are even playing? Maybe they don't want to be at home or have nothing to do.
    If they want to be fit, jogging back on defense is not the answer. If you are tired, sub yourself out. If you are hurt, sub yourself out.

I guess he could be bored at home though.

To be honest, I smoke like a freight train and don't work out, but I have run myself to the point of vomiting in my mouth on the court every game this season. He is in much better shape than I am, but he was just being lazy.

Should have just forgotten about it since you are playing for a trophy and not a cash reward or bonus.

Come to think about it you were out of line. Did you call him out in front of everyone -or- pulled him aside? There may be an apology coming unless you are in a higher position in the company than he is.

I would have just pulled him aside and say, "bro...something on your mind...you're not hustling out there and we're getting killed...you were doing good and that's why the game was close...but you let your man blow by you on a couple of plays and now the rest of the team is sloppy. Step it up so the team can step up their game...lets communicate out there"

The key to getting maximum effort from peers/teammates is to make them feel important. If they feel like they are letting others down then they give a better effort.
    That was what I said in the FIRST half. Obviously, the message didn't sink in. I was a hot head on the court when I was younger, but have mellowed out since then. It started out as me pointing it out to him, then blatantly telling him his man was killing us (his man led their team in points, and he's terrible). Then after 30 minutes of that, I couldn't take it anymore.
    Last edited by UK2K; 01-28-2016 at 09:42 AM.

Also, what format were you playing?

2 halves;10 minutes?
    2 halves of 20 minutes.

Banned

Ok...large company...no worries about being 'that guy' that takes it seriously.

Now in regards to whether an apology is owed...is he going to playing with you again?

If he is then..."Look bro, I apologize for yelling at you but I feel we have a very good team and I believe we can win it all. I need you to show a little more effort. I need to show more effort too but only if you and the guys do the same"

If not....then forget about it....I wouldn't apologize.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Was he a Muslim or a liberal?
    [COLOR="White"]JK[/COLOR]

Decent playground baller Wiltside's Avatar

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I'd say you were justified, I also give my best effort and only ever give up either after the final buzzer sounds or after I foul out, because then I literally can't do anything. You've got to try and decipher though what will get the guy going, i.e. what makes his motor go. As for me, if you get in my face and tick me off, I'm going to be angry but it will give me a ton of energy and I'll hustle. For some people that works, and for some they require a more soothing approach. I however think you're good, some people just deserve a good chewing-out

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K

So the question is, was I wrong in doing that? Or was I justified in pointing out his lack of effort?

man F@ck that shit......some people think everything is a F'ing Joke...

you did the right thing....( I don't care if you suck ....but at least try your hardest.....don't quit)

dude was prolly smiling and laughing too?.....I would have told him....

play hard or get the F@ck off the court.

Because this isn't a competitive league I would have given a pep talk first. No sense in blasting someone who doesn't know where you're coming from. And it leads to animosity plus you have to work with him. Let that game slide.

After that take them for beers and ask everyone, are we in this to win or in this to have fun? If they want to win then guide them to how to win. After that point it's fair game to put anyone on blast.

National High School Star

It depends on the culture of the team and the expectations. I play in a league that has a mix of teams, some corporate and some not. A good portion of them are competitive while some of them are more team building and recreational. Some of the companies have a lot of type a very competitive people (like google). It's important to establish what the team's expectation is. It's not a good mix to have very competitive players with recreational players as they don't have the same mindset unless that is established beforehand.

Banned

Also, I want to be a virtual coach for the OP's team.

May I suggest implementing the Amoeba Zone defense? 113 Zone and since this is a company league, there are going to be a lot of missed shots, play zone and take advantage of the missed shots. Force them to shoot over you guys. Stay in front of a player with the zone and nobody will get blown by.

113 Zone is a very advance scheme but if implemented you can get a lot of steals and fast break buckets.

It's very deceptive and you can use it to throw the other team off guard.

Also, I want to be a virtual coach for the OP's team.

May I suggest implementing the Amoeba Zone defense? 113 Zone and since this is a company league, there are going to be a lot of missed shots, play zone and take advantage of the missed shots. Force them to shoot over you guys. Stay in front of a player with the zone and nobody will get blown by.

113 Zone is a very advance scheme but if implemented you can get a lot of steals and fast break buckets.

It's very deceptive and you can use it to throw the other team off guard.
    stfuuuuuuuu