Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Default Re: Kareem: Duncan had a better career than Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    Tony's been better since 07 bro. Even if you wanna discount the FMVP year, Tony been carrying this Team until Kawhi's emergence recently as 2014-15.

Not 07 but their deep post season runs tony been the better player. We seen when Duncan was the man last year...first round exit.

2013:

Steve Blake // Pau Gasol-Dwight Howard

Steph Curry // Andrew Bogut

Mike Conley // Zach Randolph-Marc Gasol

Norris Cole-Mario Chalmers // Chris Bosh-Chris Anderson

2014:

Devin Harris // Brandan Wright

Damian Lillard // Robin Lopez

Russell Westbrook // Serge Ibaka

2015:

Chris Paul / Blake Griffin-DeAndre Jordan

But Parker has had to play against gods while Duncan played scrubs. And in 90% of these matchups Kawhi/Green were guarding them, as Pop always schemes to hide Parker on the weakest offensive player on the other team. Duncan was actually defending his guys

Local High School Star

Ummmmm let me see.......

1. Lakers have the head-to head edge in the playoffs w/ Kobe vs Duncan

2. Throughout all of those playoff series, Kobe was the best player on the court

3. Spurs have won more consistently but.....

4. Kobe 7 Finals appearances > Duncan 6 Finals appearances

5. Kobe 3-peat (dominant team) & Repeat > Spurs no consecutive championships (but they were won consistently)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chopchop20
    Ummmmm let me see.......

2. Throughout all of those playoff series, Kobe was the best player on the court

5. Kobe 3-peat (dominant team) & Repeat > Spurs no consecutive championships (but they were won consistently)
    1. With or without Shaq playing? Kobe vs. Duncan isn't truly Kobe vs. Duncan if Shaq is in the game.

2. No.

3. Yes

4. You can't have that both ways. If 2/3 > 2/6, 5/6 > 5/7. Kobe stans love to say that efficiency in the finals is better than volume, thus Hakeem > Bron.

5. Okay? Kobe deserves credit for the 09/10 repeat but that threepeat is more Shaq than Kobe. At the end of the day, both Kobe and Duncan have 5 rings total.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    1. With or without Shaq playing? Kobe vs. Duncan isn't truly Kobe vs. Duncan if Shaq is in the game.
    Ridiculous statement.

Banned

Ridiculous statement.
    In what world? You're trying to give sole credit to Kobe for wins where the MDE was on the court. That's unfair to both Kobe and Duncan and is a piss poor indicator of superiority between them. Head to head in general is a dumb way to compare players when they're not being matched up against one another but this is particularly egregious.

Local High School Star

Ummmmm let me see.......

2. No.

3. Yes

4. You can't have that both ways. If 2/3 > 2/6, 5/6 > 5/7. Kobe stans love to say that efficiency in the finals is better than volume, thus Hakeem > Bron.

5. Okay? Kobe deserves credit for the 09/10 repeat but that threepeat is more Shaq than Kobe. At the end of the day, both Kobe and Duncan have 5 rings total.

Lakers Vs Spurs 2002 Playoffs

Kobe Takes Control, Lakers Take Series Lead
    http://www.nba.com/games/20020510/LALSAS/recap.html

Kobe Continues to be Thorn in Spurs' Side
    http://www.nba.com/games/20020512/LALSAS/recap.html

Bryant scored 26 points and again starred down the stretch and the Lakers
    http://www.nba.com/games/20020514/SASLAL/recap.html

Banned

Do you not understand English? You said that Kobe was the best player in every series where the Spurs played the Lakers. 2002 was not the only time they met in the playoffs.

Local High School Star

In what world? You're trying to give sole credit to Kobe for wins where the MDE was on the court. That's unfair to both Kobe and Duncan and is a piss poor indicator of superiority between them. Head to head in general is a dumb way to compare players when they're not being matched up against one another but this is particularly egregious.
    Dude it's a 5 on 5 game... everybody has teammates. And you don't get to choose them (unless you're LeBron). Duncan had Robinson and has played with a lot of great players in his career. Kobe was still the better player against the Spurs -- that includes the MDE. They had no answer til they signed Bowen. And even Bruce never locked Kobe down.

Local High School Star

Do you not understand English? You said that Kobe was the best player in every series where the Spurs played the Lakers. 2002 was not the only time they met in the playoffs.
    I'm saying the totality of all of the times they played in the playoffs, Kobe was better than Duncan.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

He was arguably the best in 00-01 too.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by HOoopCityJones
    He was arguably the best in 00-01 too.
    2001 Playoffs

Kobe Seals Sweet 16
    http://www.nba.com/playoffs2001/fina...av=ArticleList
    45 points /10 rebounds

Forget the Alamo
    Once again, Kobe Bryant led the way - 28 points

Lakers Express Rolls On
    Shaquille O'Neal had 35 points and 17 rebounds, while Bryant had 36 points, nine rebounds and eight assists, as the Lakers embarrassed a Spurs team that compiled the best record in the NBA regular season

Back to the Big Show
    Bryant was the maestro once again. He made his first six shots, finished 10-for-19 from the field for 24 points and had 11 assists.

Banned

I'm fine with arguably, but there's a difference between 'arguably' and the general statements being made in the post I originally referenced.

Dude it's a 5 on 5 game... everybody has teammates. And you don't get to choose them (unless you're LeBron). Duncan had Robinson and has played with a lot of great players in his career. Kobe was still the better player against the Spurs -- that includes the MDE. They had no answer til they signed Bowen. And even Bruce never locked Kobe down.
    Citing Robinson as being some force during his time spent with Duncan is like saying that Kobe had Malone and Payton without adding that neither were anywhere near their prime. Duncan never played with anyone that equaled Shaq. The point I'm making is that you can't arbitrarily credit one player for a team's victory. If you weren't trying to give him a disproportionate share of the credit, that's my bad, I misunderstood.

I'm saying the totality of all of the times they played in the playoffs, Kobe was better than Duncan.
    Disagree. Kobe was the best for some of the series, no argument there, but I don't think that he was a better player over their entire history of playoff head to head matchups.

I'm not trying to say that everything you said isn't arguable, I just had a problem with the way that it was said.

Only series that Duncan outplayed Kobe were 99 & 03 and it was a toss up in 2004.

Kobe outplayed him in 01,02 and 08.

Local High School Star

I'm fine with arguably, but there's a difference between 'arguably' and the general statements being made in the post I originally referenced.

Citing Robinson as being some force during his time spent with Duncan is like saying that Kobe had Malone and Payton without adding that neither were anywhere near their prime. Duncan never played with anyone that equaled Shaq. The point I'm making is that you can't arbitrarily credit one player for a team's victory. If you weren't trying to give him a disproportionate share of the credit, that's my bad, I misunderstood.

Disagree. Kobe was the best for some of the series, no argument there, but I don't think that he was a better player over their entire history of playoff head to head matchups.

I'm not trying to say that everything you said isn't arguable, I just had a problem with the way that it was said.
    Fair enough. But I watched those games (quite a few where Duncan choked down the stretch). I mean even without the MDE in 2008, Kobe still did his thing against the Spurs.

IMO (and I believe Popovich would agree) no player has given the Spurs more trouble than Kobe.