Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How good is Kevin McHale as a coach?

Only gone for 4 months and the Rockets are already in full rebuild mode, how good is Kevin McHale?

Knicks should be all over him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Default Re: How good is Kevin McHale as a coach?

I don't know, but when he appeared on Inside the NBA a couple of days ago he seemed like a genius when talking basketball compared to Barkley & Shaq.

A lot of people didn't like McHale though.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Harden, Howard, and other guys on the rockets are bit#hes. Players today are bit#hes. I'm tired of coaches being the scapegoats for soft players that can't take instruction. Players that give up on their coaches and team have no reason to be in the NBA. They get no respect. I don't think Mchale was a great coach, but they were better with him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Harden, Howard, and other guys on the rockets are bit#hes. Players today are bit#hes. I'm tired of coaches being the scapegoats for soft players that can't take instruction. Players that give up on their coaches and team have no reason to be in the NBA. They get no respect. I don't think Mchale was a great coach, but they were better with him.
    Please stop talking about the Rockets. I see you in every thread concerning the Rockets trying to talk shit but you know absolutely nothing about the team or its players.

If you know nothing about the subject then you're better off keeping it to yourself instead of sounding like a complete idiot.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel
    Please stop talking about the Rockets. I see you in every thread concerning the Rockets trying to talk shit but you know absolutely nothing about the team or its players.

If you know nothing about the subject then you're better off keeping it to yourself instead of sounding like a complete idiot.
    He's right.

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/...ue-6823476.php

Harden and Howard can't take that kind of coach. They want someone who will let them run wild.

Local High School Star

Was not a big fan of him a few years back, but i respect his progress the last few years. he did a good job in Houston. The same team with Prigioni and Smith was in the WCF. But with 2 "me-guys" as your best players and both no leaders you cant win on the long run. he will get another job soon and will be happy being away from "fat and no D"-Harden and "always injured and crybaby"-D.Howard.

I'm not sure he has the presence to be a great NBA coach. I think he'd make a fantastic assistant or development coach though. McHale is the kind of guy you want to sit down and just pick his brain for basketball knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I'm not sure he has the presence to be a great NBA coach. I think he'd make a fantastic assistant or development coach though. McHale is the kind of guy you want to sit down and just pick his brain for basketball knowledge.
    Been saying it for years.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

hes pretty good I just picked him on a $200 contract for my local rec league team. He's a bit iffy on rotations at times but he knows how to inspire and motivate us.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Better than I thought judging from the current Rocket season....I guess.

But they started off the season bad in the beginning. I don't know what's going on with the Rockets.

He's horrible. He might be a good analyst or whatever but in game situations he's bad. No plays out of time outs, his huddles are nothing but him saying "C'mon guys! C'mon guys!", he doesn't hold star players accountable (though to be fair few coaches do this) and his rotations are laughable.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Current nba players are so immature and stupid. It's baffling.

"McHale's coaching style is exactly like he played: hard-nosed, rugged, up in your face," Lowry wrote on The Players' Tribune. "It was about team, team, team, and doing whatever it takes to be the best teammate possible.

"I didn't understand his philosophy. It sucks, because he was only trying to help me become a better player. If I had allowed him to coach me, things could have worked in Houston."

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Current nba players are so immature and stupid. It's baffling.

"McHale's coaching style is exactly like he played: hard-nosed, rugged, up in your face," Lowry wrote on The Players' Tribune. "It was about team, team, team, and doing whatever it takes to be the best teammate possible.

"I didn't understand his philosophy. It sucks, because he was only trying to help me become a better player. If I had allowed him to coach me, things could have worked in Houston."

Ehh. It's not really all that baffling.

NBA rookie of the year BarberSchool's Avatar

Very good.

Harden and Dwight are broads.

McHale is a solid, above average NBA coach. He is no Popovich but he has a very likable personality and is extremely intelligent when it comes to the game. And arguably as important, he has experience that few do. It was CRIMINALLY stupid for the Rockets to fire him as he got along with that group well.

Anyone who says otherwise is a clown with delusions about how average their Rockets team really is. He maximized them.