Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Garbage men are making good money

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    so they make largely more than the average salary with Master/Bachelor degree in international business administration, engineering, law?

Don't forget OT lol, OT will rack them up a shit load

Banned

so they make largely more than the average salary with Master/Bachelor degree in international business administration, engineering, law?

Garbage men make higher starting salary, those other fields have higher ceiling for growth. Also those people with degrees don't have to handle and smell stinky garbage all the time.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Was this not common sense? Here in NY they make a killing. Make more than a dam BA degree off the back. Talked to a guy who I worked with at my last job who was a retired garbage man, said he made a killing.
    Any chance this was the guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Garbage men make higher starting salary, those other fields have higher ceiling for growth. Also those people with degrees don't have to handle and smell stinky garbage all the time.
    my best friend studied international business administration (banking and finance) got a job at top 5 consulting firm and started with 45.000

studying 5 years in germany and 1 year in UK, making traineeships in international banks in London and switzerland

for earning like 100.000 or more he has to become a junior partner at least

my older sister is a lawyer. she started with 38.000 5 years ago and is now at 42.000.Her husband makes about the same as her (MBA). they bought a house, have 2 cars and cant literally afford more than 2 weeks vacations per year at the beach. very very difficult to put money aside for savings
    Last edited by pastis; 02-24-2016 at 05:16 PM.

my best friend studied international business administration (banking and finance) got a job at top 5 consulting firm and started with 45.000

studying 5 years in germany and 1 year in UK, making traineeships in international banks in London and switzerland

for earning like 100.000 or more he has to become a junior partner at least

my older sister is a lawyer. she started with 38.000 5 years ago and is now at 42.000.Her husband makes about the same as her (MBA). they bought a house, have 2 cars and cant literally afford more than 2 weeks vacations per year at the beach. very very difficult to put money aside for savings
    Don't know about Europe, but lawyers are a dime a dozen here. I have a friend who is almost finished with law school, and he has this idea hes going to be making a killing.

But, my grandmother knows the big time lawyers in her area and they say that they hire interns to work for nothing because EVERYONE is trying to get a law degree.

Again, supply and demand. Regardless of what your degree costs and what you may have done to earn it, if everyone else did the same thing, you're not special, and that's life.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Don't know about Europe, but lawyers are a dime a dozen here. I have a friend who is almost finished with law school, and he has this idea hes going to be making a killing.

But, my grandmother knows the big time lawyers in her area and they say that they hire interns to work for nothing because EVERYONE is trying to get a law degree.

Again, supply and demand. Regardless of what your degree costs and what you may have done to earn it, if everyone else did the same thing, you're not special, and that's life.
    Sort of like medical degrees here in the states then

Rather than decrease alone, they also make it very competitive to even get a job without having a near flawless GPA and internships

im not saying otherwise. but i read on ish where pretty young members wrote that they already make lots of money in the banking and finance market, while being pretty young. and then i got a friend with the background, the top grades, the top degree, the top internships and then the pretty "low" starting salary at a top 5 consultant firm world wide. im not saying that those ish members dont make the big money while being young (25-35), but its not the usual case at all. not in the US, not in the UK, not in Germany.

regarding the lawyers its the same in germany as in the US. My sister is working like 50h a week for her 42.000. but she loves her job. she loves being independent, loves to work on difficult cases
    Last edited by pastis; 02-24-2016 at 05:38 PM.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Garbage men much much more valuable to society than most people with degrees

Rank doctors above them but not much else
    just about anyone that can do it though

im not saying otherwise. but i read on ish where pretty young members wrote that they already make lots of money in the banking and finance market, while being pretty young. and then i got a friend with the background, the top grades, the top degree, the top internships and then the pretty "low" starting salary at a top 5 consultant firm world wide. im not saying that those ish members dont make the big money while being young (25-35), but its not the usual case at all. not in the US, not in the UK, not in Germany.

regarding the lawyers its the same in germany as in the US. My sister is working like 50h a week for her 42.000. but she loves her job. she loves being independent, loves to work on difficult cases
    Oh sure, I have several friends who live in Chicago that do a lot of finance work, audits and that sort of thing. They make decent money (that I know of) but the truth is, the more of you there are, the less you'll be paid.

I could take a private contracting job right now overseas. Starting pay (at the time I was offered, maybe two years ago) was $120k for a year and a half commitment... 6 months there, 6 months home, 6 months there. Not because I have super advanced weapons training or anything, anyone could do it after a few weeks of training, but simply because 99.999% of people don't want to do it. Its dangerous, and shitty, and you're away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    just about anyone that can do it though
    But they won't.

Oh sure, I have several friends who live in Chicago that do a lot of finance work, audits and that sort of thing. They make decent money (that I know of) but the truth is, the more of you there are, the less you'll be paid.

I could take a private contracting job right now overseas. Starting pay (at the time I was offered, maybe two years ago) was $120k for a year and a half commitment... 6 months there, 6 months home, 6 months there. Not because I have super advanced weapons training or anything, anyone could do it after a few weeks of training, but simply because 99.999% of people don't want to do it. Its dangerous, and shitty, and you're away from home.
    as what do you work?

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    By conditions you mean physical labor right? I actually think this the most beneficial part about the job. Also, there are weight limits and certain restrictions to the job, so you don't have to force yourself to do more than whats required. They'll leave that shit if it's unsanitary to hold, or too heavy. Hit your ass with a fine too.

I actually meant the working conditions. You have to work with garbage, in the cold, in the rain, in the heat. The physical end of it wouldn't both me for the most part. But like today, on a wet cold day in New England, it wouldn't be my first choice.

She has been working 5 years as a lawyer and still only makes 42k/year? Is she a public defendant? Here I was thinking lawyers make bank...smh.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    So? Doesn't make the service less valuable

Most anyone can get most degrees as well
    This is actually a great point. But to be more specific, a lot of people can get good grades and high grade point averages. It's exactly why jobs (the first job you get) out of college look at your gpa, but the rest do not. It just gives you a harder time if your gpa was low. Jobs know, people who do good on exams aren't always suited for the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    She has been working 5 years as a lawyer and still only makes 42k/year? Is she a public defendant? Here I was thinking lawyers make bank...smh.
    They used to. But, again, everyone and their mother is getting a law degree. Supply goes up, competition goes up, salary goes down.

Like I said, law offices now can hire interns for free. Why pay someone who will do the work for nothing, especially since the interns are trying to break into a firm, you know their work will be top notch.