Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

Default Re: Garbage men are making good money

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    Oh sure, I have several friends who live in Chicago that do a lot of finance work, audits and that sort of thing. They make decent money (that I know of) but the truth is, the more of you there are, the less you'll be paid.

I could take a private contracting job right now overseas. Starting pay (at the time I was offered, maybe two years ago) was $120k for a year and a half commitment... 6 months there, 6 months home, 6 months there. Not because I have super advanced weapons training or anything, anyone could do it after a few weeks of training, but simply because 99.999% of people don't want to do it. Its dangerous, and shitty, and you're away from home.
    when people say finance, auditors is not what they mean usually. The people who work in high finance, as in investment bankers, private equity etc, make much more than your friends.

A 22 year old new college grad in investment banking will make about 150-180k all in first year and the pay escalates quickly from there.

I'm curious what type of contracting gig you do tho?

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    as what do you work?
    I dont do the work now, but when I got out of the marine corps, I was approached to do security work in the middle east.

Experience is helpful, but not necessary. Anyone can do it if you get a few certs or sign with a company who has an extensive training period.

But... im not trying to die or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosnian Sajo
    She has been working 5 years as a lawyer and still only makes 42k/year? Is she a public defendant? Here I was thinking lawyers make bank...smh.
    no, she works as an labour law advocate

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    They used to. But, again, everyone and their mother is getting a law degree. Supply goes up, competition goes up, salary goes down.

Like I said, law offices now can hire interns for free. Why pay someone who will do the work for nothing, especially since the interns are trying to break into a firm, you know their work will be top notch.
    as far as i know, in germany the law studies endure 7 years (5 years = 1. state examen, 2 years traineeship, then 2. state examen = bar examen)

grades from the first and the second state examen are very important. you must have 18 points overall to open all doors (states attorney, judge, big law firm etc.)

if you have between 14-18 points your chances of good job are still high.
    below this it will get difficult.

between 10-15% each year have 18 or more points
    30-40 % have 14-18 points.
    the rest is below.

my sister had ca 14 points (or a liiiiitle bit less, cant remember) and heck, 42.000 is not bad at all. she could earn a little bit more if she would join a bigger law firm, but she doesnt want to lose her independency and wants to stay flexible due to family planing
    Last edited by pastis; 02-24-2016 at 07:32 PM.