Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good High School Starter

Default Re: I'm no GSW fan, but if the NBA moves the 3-point line back.....

why are they giving these bums so much power...o wow they make everything they throw up so lets move the three point line...how about find better ways to play ****ing defense. NBA is SOOO damn soft.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Thechosen1
    why are they giving these bums so much power...o wow they make everything they throw up so lets move the three point line...how about find better ways to play ****ing defense. NBA is SOOO damn soft.
    You're right, but the specialized 3pt shooter is more advanced than he was. So better defense only takes you so far.

Which makes sense...more people practice it, and the game has evolved because of it. And also the rule changes obviously.

But in the 80s people hadn't fully bought in to it because it was so new.

Local High School Star alexthegod's Avatar

the first thing they should do is widen the court so that the 3 pt line is 23 ft 9 inches at all parts of the court. right now the corners are 22 ft. An extra 3 ft on each side should do the trick. That would balance the floor more as well.

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

The irony of Mark Cuban saying this off the charts....especially after 2011. His teams have made a LIVING off of the 3-ball.

Although, I do like his idea of Dallas and Memphis playing in the Eastern Conference.

Very good NBA starter

Dumb dumb dumb.

Cuban is right, the 3 spam contest is ruining the league, but the analysis is wrong.

The main issue with current gameplay is that every team - 90% of the time, spams a high (illegal) screen-roll to easy penetration then kick it out.

This move is only so effective because of artificial rules which go against 50 years of rules in the league.

1) Illegal screens, these are constantly used, where a player will set the screen then move back and forth several times while the guard decides which way to go. This is ILLEGAL in all other eras.

2) No handchecking, no touch defense, makes it literally impossible to guard guys like Irving or Curry. Again, it was never this way in other eras.

3) Defensive 3 seconds, this means that after 1) and 2) you have a penetrating guard and an open lane, this means that one guy has to make try at help D, but this leaves the corner guy open.

Spam the above 3 and you get the annoying 'basketball' today.

The solution has nothing to do with the 3 point line, but with the ability of the defense to defend penetration in pick and rolls and of the lack of ability for the center to stay in the paint.

Assume we change the rules so that the center can camp in the paint and players can use physicality on perimeter players. This means that first of all, the penetrating player will still most likely be shadowed on his drive, meaning a slower drive. Second, because of a center in the paint, all other players can stick to pure man to man defense on the shoters, which only leaves the center guy open and few center players, even the small ball ones, are knock down shooters from 3 and even fewer have a mid range game.

I already said this, but there's no need to do this--it would be easier, and not be such an overhaul of the game, if they just started calling offball moving screens more consistently.

Moving the line back would be idiotic. What are they gonna do: change the whole court size? So yeah, do that and allow more physical defense on the perimeter; don't overhaul the entire game; such an overreaction.

Remember a couple of years ago when the NBA was setting a record for most 4 point plays, destroyed it because they changed the way a 3 point shot should be defended? The secret is make the rules less softer. Don't handicap the defender.