Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Most of today's 3-point attempts are OPEN or WIDE OPEN

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin

He would however, every now and then, pull a trap on his direct man defender by running to the 3pt line and getting the ref to call an illegal defense violation
    He virtually never did this, for 2 reasons:

1) Rodman was almost never camped behind the 3-point line

2) Even if he was, the defender could sag off him just like today's defender - it wouldn't be an illegal defense violation

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    He virtually never did this, for 2 reasons:

1) Rodman was almost never camped behind the 3-point line

2) Even if he was, the defender could sag off him just like today's defender - it wouldn't be an illegal defense violation
    Yeah, it'd be a no call. I'm definitely not denying that. Guys got away with illegal defense all the time. Especially towards the tail end of the 90's. Many articles about it. DonDadda has the collection. George Karl was notorious for pushing the boundaries of Illegal defense.

Decent playground baller

All I know is that Curry's 3s are guarded tighter than MJ's were.

Yeah, it'd be a no call. I'm definitely not denying that. Guys got away with illegal defense all the time.
    You don't get it - it WASN'T ILLEGAL for defenders to sag off 3-point shooters.

You don't know how stupid you sound saying it was.

It's like me saying today's rules force defenders to hug shooters at the 3-point line - this is obviously not true and dumb, but that's what you're saying about previous eras - it's ridiculous

You don't get it - it WASN'T ILLEGAL for defenders to sag off 3-point shooters.

You don't know how stupid you sound saying it was.

It's like me saying today's rules force defenders to hug shooters at the 3-point line - this is obviously not true and dumb, but that's what you're saying about previous eras - it's ridiculous
    It was illegal. It's in the rulebook.

NBA Superstar

Don't you not watch basketball? How the fvck would you know "most" of anything that happens?

You really don't see the flaw here?

It's in the rulebook
    Where... Here's the illegal defense rules - show me where defenders had to follow their man to the 3-point line:

http://nbahoopsonline.com/History/Le...les/Fouls.html

Btw, they barely shot 3-pointers AT ALL before 1994, so players were rarely behind the line to begin with.

And here's the reality - defenders in previous eras could sag off shooters MORE than today's game.. In today's game, the defender can sag off until they meet the edge of the paint, where defensive 3 seconds kicks in..

But in previous eras, Rule 2a says that weakside defenders could paint-camp indefinitely in the "outside lane" (the outer partition running up both sides of the paint) - this is what Stockton is doing in the far corner of the gif shown above.
    Last edited by 3ball; 03-25-2016 at 02:59 PM.

It was illegal.

Look at the baseline in the famous clip above - you think it was illegal for Hornacek and Stockton to sag off Kerr/Kukoc like that?

You think they were "getting away" with something?... How dumb are you?.. That was STANDARD back then, and that's the same way defenders sag off today.

Again, you don't realize how dumb you sound - you're a lone crazy wolf on this one - everyone knows that it was legal for defenders to sag off shooters in previous eras.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife

Except Curry's...dudes are all over him.
    Over [COLOR="blue"]70%[/COLOR] of Curry's 3-point attempts are either "open" (4-6 ft) or "wide open" (6+ ft).. However, the league average is [COLOR="red"]80%[/COLOR].

[COLOR="White"]........................................[/COLOR]0-2 ft (very tight)[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR] 2-4 ft (tight)[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR] 4-6 ft (open)[COLOR="White"].... [/COLOR]6+ ft (very open)

[COLOR="DarkRed"]STEPH CURRY'S.
    3-PT ATTEMPTS PER GAME
    [/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]........[/COLOR]0.4[COLOR="White"]....................[/COLOR] 2.9[COLOR="White"]..................[/COLOR]5.1[COLOR="White"]..................[/COLOR]2.7 [COLOR="DarkGreen"]<-- nba.com[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]PERCENTAGE OF
    TOTAL 3-PT ATTEMPTS
    [/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]............[/COLOR]0.4%[COLOR="White"]................[/COLOR] 26.1%[COLOR="White"].............[/COLOR]45.9%[COLOR="White"].............[/COLOR]24.3%

Keep in mind that today's teams take 24 threes per game, and the primary method used to generate these looks is screen-roll/drive-and-kick.

However, today's drive-and-kick format requires multiple shooters behind the 3-point line on every possession to kick the ball out to.. This format didn't exist in previous eras because teams didn't have enough 3-point-shooting personnel to position multiple shooters behind the line.

Driving and kicking for 3-pointers wasn't common or the staple of ANY team's offense until about 10 years ago.. Consequently, good 3-point shooters in the 80's and 90's didn't benefit from offenses that were based on their strength like today's 3-point shooters do.

[COLOR="Navy"]So don't be surprised that Curry's 3-pointers are mostly wide open[/COLOR].. Today's offenses are designed to maximize 3-point shooting and generate kickouts for easy looks.. But in previous eras, guys like Reggie and Bird had to run off screens to get 3-point looks - they didn't have 3-point shooting teammates to enable drive-and-kick so they could stand and wait for an easy kickout like today's 3-point shooter enjoys..

"3 is greater than 2" CuterThanRubio's Avatar

I'm in 3ball's head so deep, he truly believed that this thread would be a good idea after I exposed the real truth about 80s and 90s basketball.

How about you post some pictures or gifs instead of stats, I'd like to see some hard evidence.

And stop spamming the same post over and over, I thought KBlaze already warned you about that.

I'm Still Ballin is wrecking shop in here, I love it.

I'm working on a new thread to post once my other one dies out, I'm having trouble finding the information I need so it might take a while, but I think you guys will enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by CuterThanRubio

I'd like to see some hard evidence.
    I posted the NBA's own stats showing the entire league is either "open" (4-6 ft of room) or "wide open" (6+ ft) for 80% of their 3-pointers (70% for Curry).

That's the HARDEST evidence - it proves you wrong.. Now get back in your hole - you're an embarrassment.

3ball is winning this. It's just that he's so aggressive about it.

[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR]NBA.com describes 4-6 feet distance as "open" and 6+ feet as "wide open"

[COLOR="White"]........................................[/COLOR]0-2 ft (very tight)[COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR] 2-4 ft (tight)[COLOR="White"].....[/COLOR] 4-6 ft (open)[COLOR="White"].... [/COLOR]6+ ft (very open)

[COLOR="DarkRed"]LEAGUE-AVERAGE
    3-PT ATTEMPTS PER GAME
    [/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]........[/COLOR]0.4[COLOR="White"]....................[/COLOR] 4.1[COLOR="White"]..................[/COLOR]9.9[COLOR="White"]..................[/COLOR]9.4 [COLOR="DarkGreen"]<-- nba.com[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]PERCENTAGE OF
    TOTAL 3-PT ATTEMPTS
    [/COLOR] [COLOR="White"]....[/COLOR][COLOR="White"]............[/COLOR]1.7%[COLOR="White"]................[/COLOR] 17.2%[COLOR="White"].............[/COLOR]41.6%[COLOR="White"].............[/COLOR]39.5%

Over 80% of today's 3-point looks are "open" or "wide open"..

Today's open 3-point looks shouldn't be a surprise because with MULTIPLE players standing behind the line on every play, the defense is stretched out and can't make timely rotations most of the time.

In previous eras, only 1 player would be standing behind the line, so defenses didn't need complicated rotations and a defender could hug his man at the 3-point line easier without needing to come off him.

And yet, whenever it is pointed out to you, that rarely do guys get open 3 point shots in Euroleague - you still claim ridiculous things like the defense is much better in the NBA, and that it's much easier to shoot 3s in Euroleague....