Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Please help me understand Clinton's position on suing gun manufacturers

The only possible scenario where a manufacturer should be liable is if you can prove that the manufacturer is knowingly selling to a dealer that they know is selling illegally.

I'm down with HRC

Default Re: Please help me understand Clinton's position on suing gun manufacturers

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    But suing gun manufacturers because they legally created a gun that somehow or another found its way into the hands of an insane person? How is that American? I don't even know what that is.
    You should look at what the Brady campaign is actually proposing. 50% of guns used in crimes come from 1% of gun shops. 90% of guns used in crimes come from just 5% of gun shops. They want to prevent gun manufacturers from selling to shady shops.

The law that was passed in 2005 definitely protects gun shops as well as gun manufacturers.

I personally would also like serial numbers that aren't easy to file off a gun as well.

Quote Originally Posted by FillJackson
    You should look at what the Brady campaign is actually proposing. 50% of guns used in crimes come from 1% of gun shops. 90% of guns used in crimes come from just 5% of gun shops. They want to prevent gun manufacturers from selling to shady shops.

The law that was passed in 2005 definitely protects gun shops as well as gun manufacturers.

I personally would also like serial numbers that aren't easy to file off a gun as well.
    Is anybody prosecuting these shady gun shops? Are the manufacturers just supposed to magically know which shops are the bad ones if nobody is prosecuting them?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    The only possible scenario where a manufacturer should be liable is if you can prove that the manufacturer is knowingly selling to a dealer that they know is selling illegally.

this

Clinton's stance on this is perplexing to me. Why not just go hard after the shady gun dealers? Gun manufacturers knowingly selling to them shouldn't be lumped in together with that. Those are separate issues IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    this

Clinton's stance on this is perplexing to me. Why not just go hard after the shady gun dealers? Gun manufacturers knowingly selling to them shouldn't be lumped in together with that. Those are separate issues IMO.
    Legit point. I ask the same question myself.

It is clear to me that these folks on Clinton side are trying to draw a wedge with this issue in her battle with Bernie. Bernie would agree that they should go after the shady dealers but he would not agree with going after the manufacturers. This is why they are focusing on the manufacturers to try to attack Sanders on that. Sanders will go after her hard on this issue for being so disingenuous.