Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Default Re: Is the Passover story the GOAT story in human history?

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantomCreep
    Now this dummy is trying to sell God and Moses as anti-heroes a'la Walter White. Sure thing.

Why can't you just accept that the Torah using primitive (and outdated) storytelling, and leave it at that? You're like the old-timers who insist that Bob Cousy's one-handed dribbling would work well in today's league.

I don't recall Walter White killing off children while they slept. Or advocating rape and slavery. Audiences would have turned on him instantly, and that would have been the end of the show.

That's because, when telling a story from an anti-hero perspective, there's a fine line you don't cross even if your lead protagonist is a bad seed. Henry Hill, Walter White, Travis Bickle, and Tony Montana are well-written anti-heroes. They don't go full evil, therefore the audience stays with them until the end.
    You never read the bible. God is never meant to be shown as kind and loving. God is shown as an incomprehensible force that we can never truly comprehend.

The bible has stood the test of time.

Game of Thrones is essentially the Bible with all of the violence and incest and rape toned way down, and Game of Thrones is the most popular thing on TV these days.

The stories in the bible have lasted thousands of years for a reason.

What you call "primitive" is actually "universal" and "eternal".

Also, stop trying to pretend that you understand what the term "anti-hero" means, how how to write one successfully. Learn to write a successful message board force before you try to talk about writing deep and well-written characters.

Do you enjoy showing off your retardation?

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    You never read the bible. God is never meant to be shown as kind and loving. God is shown as an incomprehensible force that we can never truly comprehend.
    I guess I imagined the whole "God is Love" mantra that gets shoved down everyone's throat by Jews and Gentiles. God as a loving deity is arguably the central theme of the Old AND New Testaments. You're an idiot.

The bible has stood the test of time.
    As far as storytelling? Not at all. Read Plato's "Poetics", his theories. Or Shakespeare. They have stood the test of time.

The fact that you can take one of Shakespeare's stories and rework it in a modern setting speaks to his genius. Among playwrights and screenwriters, he is God.

What you call "primitive" is actually "universal" and "eternal".
    Yeah, nothing says "universal" like reigning vicious plagues on your own children because they dared to worship someone other than you. Or wrecking Job's life to settle a debt with Satan the Devil.

What a loving parent God is.

You want stories that successfully touch on universal themes while preaching good morals? Try Aesop's Fables.

Also, stop trying to pretend that you understand what the term "anti-hero" means
    I know exactly what it means, but you obviously don't if you think Moses was intentionally portrayed as a morally ambiguous character a'la Walter White. Keep reaching, dumbass.

5-time NBA All-Star

Yeah, nothing says "universal" like reigning vicious plagues on your own children because they dared to worship someone other than you. Or wrecking Job's life to settle a debt with Satan the Devil.

What a loving parent God is.
    God has power over all things; the very molecules in your body, the DNA, your fate, the life, the very wiring that constitutes your psychology, and everything around in nature. Fearing Him or being conscious of what pleases Him and loving Him and trusting Him is the combination to give the creation the greatest happiness, tranquility, and fulfillment.

You're fighting a battle versus yourself, and the dark forces of disbelief and the whisperings of the Devil are prevailing right now. But you're better than that, PhantomCreep, you are so, so, so much better than whatever you think you are right now. The fact that you're proportioned the way you are, breathe the way you do, move the way you do, have an education are all tremendous blessings that have been bestowed upon you for free. A feat of engineering that's barely replicable physically, and certainly not conscious wise or spiritually wise (which is man's greatest strength.)

If a human civilization repeatedly allowed their leader to oppress one of their minorities, slaughter their boy children, rape their female children; have one of their own citizens who had a high standing come back and preach a message, and still decided to stubbornly choose to serve false gods (aka desires or lusts or fancies they had) then does it make sense for God to have any use for them?

When Aristotle looked outside at nature and reflected at where wildlife was going; plants sprouting up in one direction, animals moving in one direction, he mentioned this idea being teleology. Each organism had a purpose it strove for and naturally flowed into. Thus, the concept of teleology was understood.

When Spinoza looked at the world around him, he came to the conclusion that free will was largely an illusion; that what's really happening all around us is a creation unfolding; almost like a movie.

All of these creatures have DNA written on them and it unfolds a certain way by certain command.

Similarly, the creation (human being) is to arrive at happiness, and happiness can only occur if the human is aligned completely with it's Creator Laws.

"Allah has not made for any man two hearts in his chest." (33:4)

It's people who serve different masters and discombubulate and do things that are against their very hardwired nature; where chaos and turmoil and anxiety occur.

If you use your imagination very vividly you can peel off additional layers of the Moses story. When you reflect and put even more thought into the story; new, fresher meanings make themselves known. That's the beauty of Scripture; they illustrate principle that are true on MANY levels to many DEGREES to many DEPTHS.

Here's a few questions.

What could Pharoah symbolize?
    What can we learn from how Moses handles situations?
    Why were the 7 plagues chosen?
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 05-06-2016 at 05:28 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Online, I often say things that I don't believe in order to generate reactions, so I can see a person's true colors and how they respond to opposition. I also enjoy reading outside perspectives.

Sometimes all I get are LOL-worthy reactions and furious retards typing angrily. Sometimes I learn something valuable and new.

You seem to be involved in a belief system that involves a lot of rules and regulations. That is not for me. I have been moving down a more zen-like mindfulness based path in recent years. I believe that our two ideologies must be semi-opposed-though they don't have to be-considering we both are ultimately seeking the same thing: spiritual enlightenment.

I criticize different beliefs and ideologies in order to test their strength and the strength of their followers. A belief system that can not tolerate outside scrutiny and criticism is not a strong belief system IMO. I enjoy testing people because it helps me learn more about their belief system and how that belief system teaches them to deal with antagonizing forces. A truly strong belief system stands tall against antagonism and outside attacks, like a mountain. A weak and insecure belief system lashes out at even the slightest move made against it, just like an injured animal does.

Not at all bro. I just believe that God doesn't always hand out meal tickets to people who don't work their ass off to earn it.

I am always trying to set up different income streams that don't involve any work beyond the initial set up. So far this is working well for me. This does not suggest that I don't believe in or trust in God. So far my business ventures have generally been working out and I'm grateful to God for letting that happen.
    What is spiritual enlightenment?
    Who are you?
    Where do thoughts come from?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Who are you?
    Nick Young is the Socrates of ISH.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Who are you?
    I am not at a point in my life where I am qualified to answer any of those questions. Do you know the answers?

5-time NBA All-Star

Nice response.