Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Yale Students Demand Removal of White Authors from Curriculum

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    Are there any “Major English Poets” of color?
    Not really, but there are many such as Langston Hughes or Maya Angelou who get more credit than they historically deserve due to the color of their skin and "Black History Month."

There are many major non-white poets who haven't written in English through out history. Perhaps these students should study Chinese or Indian poetry rather than English poetry if they wish to read major historically significant non-white poets so badly.

But again, that would require the effort of learning another language, and reading ancient tomes that are thousands of pages long.

It is easier to just throw a tantrum until the challenging works of Chaucer, Shakespeare and Milton go away and get replaced by comparatively easy to read poetry from the Harlem Renaissance, or even worse, modern 'flash-poetry' from hipsters in Brooklyn.
    Last edited by Nick Young; 06-09-2016 at 07:54 PM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Reason’s Robby Suave captured the mindset of social justice warriors in a recent article about students at the notoriously progressive Oberlin College. “The students … seem to think they’re not at college to be educated,” he wrote. They believe that “they are at college to educate everyone else.”
    Real talk...these young punks coming up are so soft and obnoxious. (as we've seen on ish)

NBA Legend

It looks like that title is misleading...seems to me they are just demanding that poets of other colors/cultures be included in the class.

Im sure the class is designed to emphasize the most relevant poets, regardless of race or status as queers.

What they students are really upset about is a past that nobody can change, but they wanna show off to everyone how new age and hip they are, they want to establish their own identity as different from their moms and dads, so they cry about this shit in order to look like moral revolutionaries in the hopes someone will mistake their carrying on for intellectualism and ethical superiority.

You should know this by now, posters like DeuceJenner do it here every day.

If they're gonna remove things overly "white" at Yale how 'bout Skull & Bones? Shit is whiter than curling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Not to mention the fact that the English language it self was a language created by and spoken by white people for a majority of its history.

According to the twisted ideology of these social justice bigots, non-white non-Europeans writing in English are 'culturally appropriating' a language that isn't theirs, similar to how non-Indians who practice yoga are 'culturally appropriating' an exercise that only Indians and people with Indian heritage should be allowed to practice.
    it's only an apprpriation when a majority does it

when a minorities takes on the host's culture they are just trying to survive

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    No. Kids are stupid. No matter their political leanings.
    While this is true, it poses the question of why such a large percentage of this stupid demographic choose to be rabidly left-wing.

Is it that left-wing tropes attract stupid people, or that on a superficial level they appeal to people who don't know anything and don't have any life experience (the latter would also help explain the predominance of the left in academia)? Is it because left wing ideologies provide a belief system based around universals (i.e. a pseudo-religion), that help one feel good and moral, and so replace the traditional function of the Christian religion, which is now quickly receding, and not at all popular amongst the young?

[QUOTE=~primetime~][B]Are there any

If these people complaining are white, they should hang themselves. Any other race, they only deserve a good beatdown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta

Students are probably complaining because the material is far too difficult for them. That is likely what is at the bottom of all this. I know quite a few professors, and more than one of them have told me that over the years, the course material gets easier and easier, as the students complain about it being too hard, and so forth (and because student appreciation is incorporated into university ratings!). That's why very often, if you're reading about John Locke, for example, you won't actually read John Locke yourself, but be sent to a book written by a modern author explaining John Locke to you in the simplest terms possible.
    The bolded is what pisses me off the most. I have seen it multiple times with my own eyes in classes I have been in.

I've encountered the type in my daily life. My friend rented a room to a man hating lesbian that insists that all men are rapists and we should just feel bad all the time.

At some point we need to draw lines because the real issues and shit like this has been blurry for some time now. We need to tell these kids to get over it. And merely let them be offended.

This all comes down to a mistaken view of education.

The absurd claims made by campus activists are a direct consequence of ignorance. Ignorance of the material, ignorance of its context.

What those students are asking, no demanding of their elders is the right to remain ignorant... based on arguments that only make sense if you are as ignorant as they are.

Ultimately, those students are opposed to the very idea of learning... and so ceding to those demands is signing up for the destruction of education itself.

Almost by definition, students shouldn't be the ones to determine the exact content of what is taught... their preferences can only be based on what they already know at a particular point in time, or unfounded opinions... what they already know, they don't need to learn, and unfounded opinions shouldn't be taken into account.

If you don't believe that knowledge is better than ignorance.. and that to overcome their ignorance, the ignorant must learn from a knowledgeable source... what are you doing at university? And what in the hell are you doing teaching there? No one is forcing you to do any of those things.

Similarly, you go to a library to read one of the books on the shelves. You can criticize a book (preferably after you've read it), or you can write your own, but the point of going to a library is to read one of the books that happen to be there for you to read.

This whole idea that everything you need to know is already inside of you is incredibly dangerous. Truth, as well as personal growth, both come from confrontation with things on the "outside"...
    Last edited by BoutPractice; 06-11-2016 at 10:40 AM.

While this is true, it poses the question of why such a large percentage of this stupid demographic choose to be rabidly left-wing.

Is it that left-wing tropes attract stupid people, or that on a superficial level they appeal to people who don't know anything and don't have any life experience (the latter would also help explain the predominance of the left in academia)? Is it because left wing ideologies provide a belief system based around universals (i.e. a pseudo-religion), that help one feel good and moral, and so replace the traditional function of the Christian religion, which is now quickly receding, and not at all popular amongst the young?
    You are so full of shit. It's comical.

It looks like that title is misleading...seems to me they are just demanding that poets of other colors/cultures be included in the class.
    I didn't notice the link was Breitbart. Yeah, the situation is probably misrepresented, but I don't care enough to check.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    You are so full of shit. It's comical.
    no surprises this lefty cuck is defending the pro-censorship identity politics obsessed pro-segregation Yale students

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Students are probably complaining because the material is far too difficult for them. That is likely what is at the bottom of all this. I know quite a few professors, and more than one of them have told me that over the years, the course material gets easier and easier, as the students complain about it being too hard, and so forth (and because student appreciation is incorporated into university ratings!). That's why very often, if you're reading about John Locke, for example, you won't actually read John Locke yourself, but be sent to a book written by a modern author explaining John Locke to you in the simplest terms possible.
    These are Yale students, top the class honors students with flawless grades and endless lists of extracurricular stuff. They are used to studying their assess off and being perfect. Nearly 50% of the school is composed of valedictorians and salutatorians.

If the material is "far too difficult" for these kids then it's far too difficult for any kids.