Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Give me tips on negotiating a new vehicle. Gonna pick up my new car today

I'm just about to head to the dealership to trade my Cobalt SS for a new more practical Chevy Trax.
    I haven't negotiated the terms yet. What special perks can I ask to add on that they wouldn't mention when I was being sold? I heard of certain maintenance packages that I can attain. Some rebates. Any tips from experienced car buyers or dealer sales people?

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Default Re: Give me tips on negotiating a new vehicle. Gonna pick up my new car today

Go to a no negotiation lot

Default Re: Give me tips on negotiating a new vehicle. Gonna pick up my new car today

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I'm just about to head to the dealership to trade my Cobalt SS for a new more practical Chevy Trax.
    I haven't negotiated the terms yet. What special perks can I ask to add on that they wouldn't mention when I was being sold? I heard of certain maintenance packages that I can attain. Some rebates. Any tips from experienced car buyers or dealer sales people?
    Tell them you dont really want it, and dont be afraid to walk off.

If you do walk, 100% guarantee they'll call you later.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Go to a no negotiation lot
    What's that?

Bought my new truck in November.

Here are some tips:
    Find the invoice price on the vehicle and pay maybe $500 above it TOPS!

Go THEOUGH COSTCO!!! They have an auto purchasing program for free and usually they have already negotiated the LOWEST price which is ~500 above invoice. This is a really good deal.

YOU HOLD THE POWER, don't be desperate. There goal is to take as much money from you as possible, don't let them. Most ofwhat they say is a lie. Remember, it doesn't matter how nice they seem, once you buy a car from them, they will not give a sh1t about you. Kind of how we use girls for a one time fck, so you take advantage.

dont buy a GM product

What's that?
    Basically the price written on the car is just what you pay. You don't really negotiate anything. I've never used one, I just know some people who enjoyed the experience since they're the kind of people who don't know what a 4 or 6 cylinder even means. If you're good at negotiation I'd go that route, but at the end of the day no one gets a steal buying a car.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Basically the price written on the car is just what you pay. You don't really negotiate anything. I've never used one, I just know some people who enjoyed the experience since they're the kind of people who don't know what a 4 or 6 cylinder even means. If you're good at negotiation I'd go that route, but at the end of the day no one gets a steal buying a car.
    You do if you buy used... certified pre-owned preferably.

My girlfriend's parents bought her her first car, and she still drives it. That car is almost considered a classic per the state laws (15 years).

Hondas man, they'll go forever.

Wait until the end of the month.

College superstar

Dont trade in your car to the dealership. You are better off selling it in a local ad or try going to CarMax. Never trade in a car to get another car they will try to rip you off. Craigslist > CarMax > Dealership (trade in)

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    You do if you buy used... certified pre-owned preferably.

My girlfriend's parents bought her her first car, and she still drives it. That car is almost considered a classic per the state laws (15 years).

Hondas man, they'll go forever.
    It's certainly a better deal, but it's not like anyone is good enough at negotiation to get a dealership to sell for less than they bought it for. Maybe .001% of the time.

My cuz in NY that owns a dealership in NY says ask if they have a year end sale and negotiate the price if price changes to honor it. Year end sales usually happen in August

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    dont buy a GM product
    I like Chevy. My dad has had a Camaro for every decade. I've had my Cobalt and I like it. I know how to fix it and it's easy. I'm going to stick to familiarity. Plus I'm only using this for work.

Get a TrueCar value quote. Buy at the end of September, when dealers are trying to make room for new models, and salesmen are trying to meet quotas.

Also, what I like to do is establish a post tax price you're willing to pay. Let the salesmen know that if he can't hit that price point,you'll walk. Also establish the APR you're willing to pay. Anything higher and you'll get your financing elsewhere. They really want you to finance through their bank.