Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool LeBron may passing the torch to Kyrie 3 years down the road

Kyries development, specifically under Lebron.

Great players often have great mentors, and I can only imagine what Kyrie will look like in his prime in 3 years after being under Lebrons wing for this long.

Bron has his window of championships open and Kyrie will want to capitalize on that I am sure.

I didn't realize how much of an effect Lebron would have on him until I heard in his speech he told Kyrie he could be MVP of the league.

Thats some motivation right there.

He's going to be absolutely scary in 3 years, cannot wait to see what kind of team the Cavs will be (excited about TT as well) at that time.

Bottom line

If Kyrie can learn to be a great playmaker then the league is ****ed.

Default Re: LeBron may passing the torch to Kyrie 3 years down the road

I could see it as well. Absolutely. I just hope Kyrie can stay healthy for more
    then 1 season.

Banned

unfortunately, its impossible.

Bran doesn't have the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCat
    unfortunately, its impossible.

Bran doesn't have the torch.
    Kobe gave it to lebron...who did lebron give it to?

How is he going to become a better playmaker when lebron is insistent on running point so much? Basically, we want Kyrie to be a specific type of player and if he's not then lebron is going o take the ball from him and run point. Maybe guys attack the game differently? Why don't people ask guys like wall and Westbrook to be better scorers and shooters? Why not ask Kyrie to be the best Kyrie he can be?

Quote Originally Posted by moongaze
    How is he going to become a better playmaker when lebron is insistent on running point so much? Basically, we want Kyrie to be a specific type of player and if he's not then lebron is going o take the ball from him and run point. Maybe guys attack the game differently? Why don't people ask guys like wall and Westbrook to be better scorers and shooters? Why not ask Kyrie to be the best Kyrie he can be?
    Kyrie had three years without LBJ dominating the ball and was never able to grow into a playmaker

People DID ask Westbrook to become a playmaker and he did!

WB game use to be strikingly similar to Kyries

One of the best playmakers now

And hes a top 2-3 PG specifically becaus of it

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    Kyrie had three years without LBJ dominating the ball and was never able to grow into a playmaker

People DID ask Westbrook to become a playmaker and he did!

WB game use to be strikingly similar to Kyries

One of the best playmakers now

And hes a top 2-3 PG specifically becaus of it
    Westbrook's game has never been like kyries. His best three point season is close to Kyrie's worst. His best field goal season is also close to Kyrie's worst. Russell was averaging 8 assists a game his second year. Kyrie has never come close. Yet Russell is somehow considered the better pg just because he averages more assists. Don't get it

Can Kyrie become a better playmaker? Sure, but people are acting like he can't be elite until he's averaging 8 assists or more while ignoring other parts of his game that are superior to other point guards. I don't believe you force a point guard to play it lead a certain way . Kyrie said it himself in a recent interview. He said the turnaround for the team is when he stopped listening to the media telling him how he should play or what kind of point guard he should be.

Let the kid become the best Kyrie.

Kyrie is already their most reliable scoring option. Definitely on the perimeter. It'd love to see the Cavs refine their identity around Kyrie being the 1a scoring option and all-around BMF, with Lebron as the 1b/2 option, point-forward and leader. That could spell many more chances at another title.

"LeBron may passing the torch to Kyrie 3 years down the road"

Worst grammar I've ever seen
    This even tops the mistakes of were/was and there/their...

yep.

kareem to MJ to shaq to duncan to lebron to kyrie

Local High School Star

Westbrook's game has never been like kyries. His best three point season is close to Kyrie's worst. His best field goal season is also close to Kyrie's worst. Russell was averaging 8 assists a game his second year. Kyrie has never come close. Yet Russell is somehow considered the better pg just because he averages more assists. Don't get it

Can Kyrie become a better playmaker? Sure, but people are acting like he can't be elite until he's averaging 8 assists or more while ignoring other parts of his game that are superior to other point guards. I don't believe you force a point guard to play it lead a certain way . Kyrie said it himself in a recent interview. He said the turnaround for the team is when he stopped listening to the media telling him how he should play or what kind of point guard he should be.

This. I think people just need to accept Kyrie's game for what it is. I don't think he'll ever average more than 7 assists a game and I don't think you can teach court awareness. With that said, what this postseason should have shown people is that a dominant iso point guard can absolutely be conducive to winning a championship. I just don't see how people can argue that anymore. Can Kyrie run a team? I think he did at least an "okay" job before LeBron came, the team was just god awful. At least his turnovers are low.

There are at least a few ways Kyrie can lead a team as far as getting people involved. I think if he plays with a draymond green -esque role player, or in a system with great ball movement (like pop's) he'll be just fine. But for now, a best season of 26 ppg 6.5 assists, 4 rebounds on 48% shooting and 43% from three to go along with solid defense is perfectly reasonable to "settle" for. He'll never be John Wall, but I don't think that makes him worse, and I'd say he's more valuable because he can win any matchup in a playoff series.

If LeBron somehow wins 2 chips for Cleveland, he is without a doubt the GOAT.

Good points

I like your vibe bro

3 years down the road? You clearly didn't watch the finals. Kyrie already have the cavs torch in his hands.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    This. I think people just need to accept Kyrie's game for what it is. I don't think he'll ever average more than 7 assists a game and I don't think you can teach court awareness. With that said, what this postseason should have shown people is that a dominant iso point guard can absolutely be conducive to winning a championship. I just don't see how people can argue that anymore. Can Kyrie run a team? I think he did at least an "okay" job before LeBron came, the team was just god awful. At least his turnovers are low.

There are at least a few ways Kyrie can lead a team as far as getting people involved. I think if he plays with a draymond green -esque role player, or in a system with great ball movement (like pop's) he'll be just fine. But for now, a best season of 26 ppg 6.5 assists, 4 rebounds on 48% shooting and 43% from three to go along with solid defense is perfectly reasonable to "settle" for. He'll never be John Wall, but I don't think that makes him worse, and I'd say he's more valuable because he can win any matchup in a playoff series.
    One thing he started doing more than I've seen before in these playoffs is the old Steve Nash move of keeping your dribble alive, while skipping along the baseline and under the basket, waiting for someone to break open near the rim... while I generally agree that some guys are just naturally gifted passers while others are naturally gifted scorers and Kyrie is definitely the latter, there are little techniques like that I think he will use going forward to help keep the ball moving.

But, if anyone thinks he is ever going to be Chris Paul out there -- it's just not happening, nor should it. His game is completely different.

His overall offensive and defensive efficiency will continue to improve as he starts to get into his prime over the next few years, and that will mean becoming a more consistently dominant version of the player we saw in the playoffs.