Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Westbrook to Spurs trade talk heating up...

Quote Originally Posted by HenryGarfunkle
    Well obviously you take the risk if you're OKC and see what happens. They're not trading westbrook for Danny Green and Kyle Anderson you ****ing moron.
    OKC is not in a position to see what happens. That is what they did with Durant and now they've lost one of the top players in the league and gotten nothing back in return. They cannot and will not make the same mistake with Westbrook.

It's a rough situation and I feel for OKC fans. It's like a double gut-punch, because Durant leaving coincided with Westbrook's contract being in its last year, but they can't just wait and see. If Westbrook is indicating to them that he has a real interest in re-signing, then maybe you wait until the deadline, see where the team is and reassess at that point.

But they can't just let this play out and hope for the best. And, as toxicxr6 said, any team trading for WB would need a virtual guarantee that he is going to re-sign with them, so that really limits the number of potential suitors. It would be one thing if he had 2-3 years left on his deal, but he doesn't.

Probably the best bet is to hope the Lakers get desperate and they give away 1 or 2 of their young pieces, but I don't see Westbrook agreeing to that. They're still years away from being a contender. And LA isn't giving any of their young pieces up unless they get that guarantee.

Boston is the only other team I could imagine being a good fit that has really nice trade chips, but does WB have any interest in coming East? Ainge would play hardball, too. It's not like they would get a haul for an expiring Westbrook with the way Ainge wheels and deals.

It would probably be like Isaiah Thomas and a pick, if that. And, that's assuming WB assures them he will re-sign.

There is just no way they are getting anything close to equal value in a trade. Tough situation.

At least Thunder fans still have big d*ck Adams.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Spurs are moving away from ball movement toward LMA and Leonard iso - pound it in the post. Might as well complete the circle with Westbrooke - they can't compete with GSW and CLE as is and where else can Westbrooke go.

GSW - no
    CLE - no
    LAC - no

SAS is the logical place to go - team up with Leonard.
    Boston is the logical wildcard, imo. I think with their offseason moves, they're a Top 3 team in the East and they have one of the best coaches in the league.

Could Westbrook have them legitimately competing with the Cavs for the EC Title? I've never been completely bullish on WB, especially in the playoffs with his sometimes out-of-control play, but they would feature a pretty stout roster depending on what they'd have to give up.

I'm thinking with OKC's lack of leverage, it would probably be some package revolving around Isaiah Thomas and picks (Boston still has a lot of those).

So, let's say they pull it off...

PG: Russell Westbrook / Marcus Smart
    SG: Avery Bradley / Gerald Green(?) / James Young
    SF: Jae Crowder / Jaylen Brown
    PF: Amir Johnson / Jonas Jerebko
    C: Al Horford / Kelly Olynyk / Tyler Zeller

Is that roster good enough to compete with the Cavs? Looks pretty formidable with Stevens as their coach. Lots of questions like whether or not WB would buy into his system and if he'd even agree to go in the first place.

But, the scary thing about Boston if you're a Cavs fan is that, even after making a trade for Westbrook, Ainge would still have a big enough war chest to make another move, probably for a top level role player at PF.

If he would buy in, this could be the best situation for Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawhi m8
    At least Thunder fans still have big d*ck Adams.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    This is true.
    Khal Adams!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

This is a very toxic meltdown.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    This is a very toxic meltdown.

Wow.
    Who's melting down?

Go jump on another bandwagon

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

As much as I'd like it to hopefully set up a goatbrook vs Durant wcf, they'd literally be better off letting him Chuck all season and hopefully be in the MVP discussion and possibly drag them into the playoffs than trading him for essentially nothing

NBA sixth man of the year NugzFan's Avatar

I like how Spurs fans are like "okc - here is an awful offer. Take it or leave it"

As if that's a tough decision for presti

Lmao what assets do the Spurs have? This is as dumb as those DMC to Cleveland "rumors"

Op is a ****ing idiot

Banned

At all these delusional SPurts fans.

Unless Spurs give up Leonard in a possible trade Thunder should not do it. And the Spurs shouldn't give him up. Therefore the Westbrook trade shouldn't happen unless someone f*** up and gives in.

Pretty sure there will be takers all season for Westbrook. Don't give up just in the summer OKC.

Yeah Spurs would be stupid to trade Leonard, who is about on the same plane with Westbrook (arguably better) and is like the perfect Spur on a personality level, while Westbrook has a very non-Spurs persona. Even if the Spurs could get him without giving up a Leonard or Aldridge, I'm not convinced it would be a good fit anyway.

OKC would be stupid to do this for anything not including Leonard or Aldridge unless they're 100% convinced that he's not returning and he makes it clear he wouldn't resign anywhere but SA.

would be funny as hell if WB goes to San Antonio and eliminates GSW.

Spurs' weakness is at the PG position.

I would do Westbrook for Aldridge straight up