Default Do you keep all your old trophies/awards?

My parents have sold their house and will be travelling around the world and mostly living in the Phillipines. I still have about 20 of my martial arts trophies, some basketball medals, and badminton medals from about 20 years ago that my mom wants to give to me. I don't have the room and I have enough of my basketball league trophies at my house right now. But I'd like to take them for keepsake and reference to how good I was back in the day.

Should I take all these throphies? Have any of you kept awards from way back when and displayed them?

Default Re: Do you keep all your old trophies/awards?

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    My parents have sold their house and will be travelling around the world and mostly living in the Phillipines. I still have about 20 of my martial arts trophies, some basketball medals, and badminton medals from about 20 years ago that my mom wants to give to me. I don't have the room and I have enough of my basketball league trophies at my house right now. But I'd like to take them for keepsake and reference to how good I was back in the day.

Should I take all these throphies? Have any of you kept awards from way back when and displayed them?
    How small is your slummy little house if there isn't space for a few little trophies?

No way I can keep all my awards. Between the purple hearts and nobel trophies I received along the years, there's just no way, even considering my measly ten bedroom house which is considered small for my area. Besides, awards are just materialistic things. You know what I like a lot more than materialistic things? Knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by sd3035
    How small is your slummy little house if there isn't space for a few little trophies?
    Well, it's more like my wife won't make space for the room

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Most are in a box in a closet

Shot a hole in one - that trophy my dad got me /w ball is in my workshop

Saw a basketball once

I always keep my trophies. I kinda cool to look back at them and remember some of the stuff you accomplished.

Banned

Keep them bro.

Your moms saved them for you. Thst is every reason to keep them. Then you can slowly toss the insignificant ones.

5-time NBA All-Star

The metal and time taken for vain glory was an error.

Every person rather be humble, thank Allah for blessing them with that gift and improve themselves till the death.

All of my perfect attendance awards from elementary are plastered on my walls.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    The metal and time taken for vain glory was an error.

Every person rather be humble, thank Allah for blessing them with that gift and improve themselves till the death.
    Couldn't one say some trophies are a symbol of personal development and betterment of oneself?
    I sacrificed a lot in my teenage and young adult life trying to perfect my craft and competed to gain some sort of reward for having trained to build that type of success. It doesn't have to be about vanity all the time. I don't see it any different from training to finish a marathon, working on a piece of art, or hiking Mount Everest.

I got those trophies in a time where we didn't have camera phones to record that part of history. These trophies are a great symbol of that time. There is a difference between vain/glory and dedicating oneself to perfect something and going out to get it, no?

NBA Legend

I think in situations like these we tend to idealize how many times we're actually gonna stop in front of the Trophy case and appreciate each one and think about all the times you did this or that... Versus the annoyance of having to actually make room for these things that have no real practical value.

I say gather them all together, polish them up nicely, place them all in decorous fashion throughout a room somewhere... take a picture, then ditch them. Maybe keep a few for decorative purposes or if they really stand out as meaningful.

The memories matter, and you can still hang on to those. I don't think you need to hang on to all the plastic and copper. But that's just my opinion, they're your trophies obviously. Do whatever you feel is optimal for you!

NBA Superstar

I didn't keep all my awards, but I did hang on to the ones that meant something very special to me. They may be stored away, but I still like the idea of hanging onto, say, my All-Conference medal. (Always thought it was kind of strange that they gave me a medal, as opposed to something a little more tangible like a trophy or plaque or something, but I digress.)

Usually, if one is not a complete pack rat, you'll know when it's time for something to go, whether it be personal memorabilia or hobby-related. In my case, I'm still trying to find out what to do with years and years of SLAM magazines. I feel bad just recycling all of them because the covers are so shiny.

But the personal stuff, yeah, I can usually find a place. Medals, prominent game tapes, certificates of achievement, and even the stuffed animal I received for being our public access television Player of the Game — I could theoretically live without them but I like having them.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Unless you still compete in that sport, no. It's weird as **** to display childhood trophies of yourself. I guess if they're in a box that's fine, but your life has to suck if it makes you feel better to reminisce about glory days as an 11 year old.

Threw my participation ribbons out

they are probably packed away in my parents basement where I left them, unless my folks finally got around to throwing them out.