Default House Passes 9/11 Bill That Would Let Victims

[QUOTE]WASHINGTON

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: House Passes 9/11 Bill That Would Let Victims

So Obama complains about Congress not doing anything and not working together and when they finally do he threatens a veto?

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

This is one of the few times I think I might side with Obama. He says if our citizens sue and win, it could set precedent for an avalanche of lawsuits against the US from citizens around the world. IF that is true, I think he's right. I'd much rather see us drop a bomb on Riyadh, or even better, Mecca.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Long Duck Dong
    This is one of the few times I think I might side with Obama. He says if our citizens sue and win, it could set precedent for an avalanche of lawsuits against the US from citizens around the world. IF that is true, I think he's right.
    Yeah this is one of those instances that the Dem President should put the kibosh on a misguided GOP initiative that will have devastating effects on the Country down the line. Slick Willy had his moment with Gramm-Leach-Bliley and he didn't veto it... Look at how destructive that ended up being.

I think the Saudis should be held accountable for their blatant support of terrorism, but this bill isn't the answer. It would set a legal precedent that would come back to bite the U.S. in the ass something fierce.

they should be allowed to sue the US govt for covering up the fact that the saudis were involved for the past 14 years...

This is one of the few times I think I might side with Obama. He says if our citizens sue and win, it could set precedent for an avalanche of lawsuits against the US from citizens around the world. IF that is true, I think he's right. I'd much rather see us drop a bomb on Riyadh, or even better, Mecca.

how is that a bad precedent? seems like it would only lead to more accountability within our government.

its not like the US would pay any attention to foreign lawsuits anyway.

For starters, Chileans could sue the hell out of the US for toppling democratically elected Allende and helping install that scumbag Pinochet.

Latin America would have a field day sueing the hell out of the US for all their imperialistic endeavors in that region.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

How do you even sue another country?

Wouldn't they just laugh at that?

NBA lottery pick Long Duck Dong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    how is that a bad precedent? seems like it would only lead to more accountability within our government.

its not like the US would pay any attention to foreign lawsuits anyway.
    And the Saudis won't be paying attention to our lawsuits unless a faction of our government steps in and enforces any penalties, which is where this is heading. Otherwise it's a pointless exercise. I don't have any problem with citizens suing our own government to hold Saudi Arabia accountable and take action against the Saudis for their role in the attacks. Even if both routes lead to the same result. Having a state being held accountable to private citizens of the world is a lot more messy and will inevitably lead to an avalanche of lawsuits from the citizens of developed countries against wealthy nations like our own.

Good college starter TommyGriffin's Avatar

Saudis and their lackeys condemn the bill.

The Saudi-dominated Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) on Monday condemned a law passed by the United States Congress last week that would allow the families of victims of the Sept. 11 attacks to sue the kingdom's government for damages.

The head of the six-nation GCC said the law was "contrary to the foundations and principles of relations between states and the principle of sovereign immunity enjoyed by states," GCC Secretary General Abdullatif al-Zayani said in a statement.

Qatar and the United Arab Emirates also issued condemnations of the bill.

"Such laws will negatively affect the international efforts and international cooperation to combat terrorism
    ," UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan said in a statement carried by state news agency WAM.

The U.S. House of Representatives passed the "Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act," known as JASTA, on Friday but the White House has threatened to veto the measure.

Fifteen of the 19 hijackers who crashed airliners in New York, outside Washington and in Pennsylvania on Sept. 11, 2001 were Saudi nationals, but the Saudi government has strongly denied responsibility and has lobbied against the bill.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKCN11I0QA

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    Yeah this is one of those instances that the Dem President should put the kibosh on a misguided GOP initiative that will have devastating effects on the Country down the line. Slick Willy had his moment with Gramm-Leach-Bliley and he didn't veto it... Look at how destructive that ended up being.

I think the Saudis should be held accountable for their blatant support of terrorism, but this bill isn't the answer. It would set a legal precedent that would come back to bite the U.S. in the ass something fierce.
    K...

[QUOTE]The House on Friday passed legislation allowing the families of 9/11 victims to sue Saudi Arabia in U.S. courts, days before the 15th anniversary of the terrorist attacks.

The legislation passed unanimously by voice vote, to thunderous applause.

The bill, which passed the Senate unanimously in May, now heads to President Obama