Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tips and tricks to combat anxiety

Hey guys,

The title pretty much says it. Looking for some natural ways to combat the uneasy, restless thoughts I'm having related to taking the LSAT in a few weeks. I'm a good student and experienced mild anxiety in the past prior to taking exams, but nothing like what I've been experiencing over the past few weeks. Any tips or tricks (breathing exercises, meditation) that might help overcome these thoughts of doubt.

J$ I'm looking at you to drop some knowledge. I need to get in the "ill do fine" or "I'm better than this kid" type of mindset I used to make myself get into before big sports games in high school. Haven't really played competitive sports in awhile.

My bad PT, was on my phone and didn't realize I was in the football forum. Delete it now

Good college starter TommyGriffin's Avatar

Default Re: Tips and tricks to combat anxiety

What are you anxious about? Anxiety stems from a problem you have. If you are having anxiety you are worrying about a real problem. Solution? Fix the problem and the anxiety will go away.

You are probably having anxiety about failing the test. You are not confident enough in your abilities. You need to reinforce your confidence by studying more or taking more practice tests. Once you are locked in and know that you will ace the test, there will be nothing to worry about. Your anxiety will subside.

I know lack of confidence plays a role. I feel as though no amount of preparation will be enough, however. I'm nervous that even though I feel prepared, I may "black out" and forget what I've learned worrying about the time limits

Good college starter TommyGriffin's Avatar

It sounds like you just are not prepared enough. If you really knew your stuff you could do it even while having a "black out". If you know your stuff you are not going to hit the time limit because you know the answers. People who take the whole limit are people who don't know the material and sit there for 20 minutes on one question thinking they are going to magically channel the answer somehow. You either know it or you don't, it's just that easy. You need to study more, suck it up, or go to the doctor and get some Xanax. Those are your three options as of now. I would go with the first one.

Banned

1. Exercise and lift weights. Long term, this will benefit your anxiety. No, it is not an overnight cure. It may take a few months before you begin feeling positive benefits but they will be long lasting benefits.

2. Deep breathing exercises and yoga.

3. Gain self confidence. Figure out who you are. What makes you anxious. Why do these things make you anxious? Deep meditation requires inward focus. Conquer your inner demons and you will be able to conquer anything outside of yourself. Know yourself. Understand your strengths and weaknesses and focus on fixing those weaknesses.

4. Do other forms of exercise besides lifting weights. Exercise is very helpful in improving your self esteem and dopamine levels.

5. Talk to people and socialize. Put yourself in to social situations. Yes it will be hard at first but the more you do it, the more you get used to it. Eventually it will become second nature to you.

SOURCE: I used to have a lot of social anxiety. Now I have none.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Set a goal or goals for yourself. Can be anything. Read more. Teach yourself to cook. Learn a new language. Meet new people. Anything. This is what helped me the most. It strengthened my resolve. I learned to believe in myself even when I was discouraged.

   

meditation, using the ram das technique in particular.

it's like gaining a superpower, the more you do it.

When it comes to managing anxiety, living a good lifestyle overall is the most important thing. Meaning you are taking care of yourself and you are comfortable with yourself and your decisions.

In the heat of the moment, you want to quiet your mind and the best way is to focus on the rhythm your breath. The physical feeling of breathing in your body and the pace of your breathing.

Stress and anxiety are the result of negative thinking and it is hard to think negative thoughts when your attention is focused elsewhere. The easiest way is to focus on breathing. Simple but effective.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Breating and mindful meditation is the best things you can do. Slowly inhale deep breathes into your belly, hold for a second or two then slowly exhale. When you start to feel anxious start to describe your emotions in your head in a third person view. Say your feeling example, "I'm feeling anxious about this test", "I'm afraid of failing", etc.

You can also read up on some quotes on Marcus Aurelius and his book Meditations. He's one of the pillars of ideology of Stoicism. If your tldr about Stoicism it's basically seek this test as an obstacle for growth, whether you pass it or not is irrelevant because your dick will be rotting 10 feet below the ground 100 years from now just like every other man that his lived before you. None of this matters.

   

Quote Originally Posted by knickballer
    You can also read up on some quotes on Marcus Aurelius and his book Meditations. He's one of the pillars of ideology of Stoicism. If your tldr about Stoicism it's basically seek this test as an obstacle for growth, whether you pass it or not is irrelevant because your dick will be rotting 10 feet below the ground 100 years from now just like every other man that his lived before you. None of this matters.
    i read something about stoicism the other day that gave it a new dimension for me. instead of the (probably wrong anyway) idea that you should be a human punching bag in life and just take every piece of shit that comes your way with a resigned smile on your face, there's a more useful wrinkle to it:

even though we think we won't be able to bear something awful that might happen to us, in fact life almost always gives us the power to do so should it happen.

this is probably why people who come down with terrible illnesses or loss of loved ones / money / etc don't seem too willing to end their lives. you'd think that winding up in a wheelchair or something would have you reaching for the cyanide capsules, and yet you don't. maybe because life is a constant series of challenges no matter what, and we get real joy and satisfaction from being able to handle these challenges, no matter what they are. maybe this is the real point in life.

by contrast, people who are actually depressed or suicidal in life seem to have given up hope in dealing with their particular set of challenges.

but man... how sad it is the times we can be standing right next to them, so to speak, and see with our own eyes that there usually are in fact possibilities for them... but they either can't or won't see them.

stoicism is some good shit, man. it really takes the edge off anxiety i think.

5-time NBA All-Star

Feel your feet root deep into the ground and focus on your breath while your thoughts gently pass by.

And remember what happens was meant to happen.

God is in control of all things.

Chugging cold water really fast helps... for 'situational' anxiety.

   

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    God is in control of all things.
    usually when i summon god in to existence, it's for the express purpose of kissing my ass. :)

For situational anxiety, I tend to sing a tune or dance (honestly). It reminds me not to take myself or life too seriously. Just relax and enjoy whatever it is you need to do.

I'm really chill during prep and exam time, it's when the results are near that I lose my shit.