Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Tips and tricks to combat anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGriffin
    What are you anxious about? Anxiety stems from a problem you have. If you are having anxiety you are worrying about a real problem. Solution? Fix the problem and the anxiety will go away.

You are probably having anxiety about failing the test. You are not confident enough in your abilities. You need to reinforce your confidence by studying more or taking more practice tests. Once you are locked in and know that you will ace the test, there will be nothing to worry about. Your anxiety will subside.
    This is the only thing that works for me.

Living a health lifestyle and all that is great but that "thing" will always be on your mind. It will keep you up at night for long hours.

My anxiety only went away when the problem was finally solved. Funnily enough, I had anxiety about an english test for foreign students.

Sleep, getting diet right, exercise, limiting caffene intake. Breathing exercises, living in the moment (not thinking too far in advance). Accepting that its just anxiety and your mind is in overload status.

Some really good advice here. Living in the moment is key. So much of what bugs our minds is either from shit that happened in the past or shit we're worried about happening in the future. We can't do anything about the past and we don't really know what the future holds. The only thing we can control is the here and now.

There's a line that gets repeated several times in the film Bridge of Spies. Tom Hanks asks the Russian spy he's defending "Aren't you worried?", to which the spy replies "Would it help?". Of course the answer is No. Worrying only clouds the picture and can prevent us from moving forward to a solution that oftentimes is right in front of us. Be in the present, using the advice your ISH brothers have given you (meditation, exercise, diet, etc.), and the future will take care of itself.

Try and fill your mind with positive thoughts. It sounds silly but it works. Say an affirmation to yourself (I am a badass, I am awesome, I will accomplish my goals, etc.) After a while these autosuggestions begin to sink into your subconscious.

As far as meditation goes, here's what works for me:

1. Do it in the morning before your mind gets cluttered with thoughts.
    2. Sit in a quiet spot, close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing.
    3. Use a mantra. It can be any word or sound. When unwanted thoughts enter your head concentrate on the mantra to bring you back into your meditation.
    4. Use the timer on your phone and start with just 5 minutes a day, working your way up to 15-20 minutes.