Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

Default I am a Hillary fan.. recapping her debate

As many of you may already be aware of I am a Die Hard Obama fan but I am also a fan of Hillary as well. Trump is in no way a contending candidate and is one of the weaker candidates in the race. There are no excuses for Hillary to get blown out at home by Trump. Hillary had 9 lies and only 4 truths and a sub par arguing night as well. Hillary cannot dominate the discussion as much as she does if our party is going to have a successful campaign. Tim Kaine is an excellent running mate and debater and needs to initiate the argument more. Hillary is not an out of the spotlight candidate but she needs to do something if our party is going to go anywhere. Trump is not only a threat on the stage he is just as much of a threat off the stage. That is why Republicans are able to thrive with defensive minded candidates. The Republicans have an amazing supporting cast with multiple All-Stars this year. If Hillary can take a page from Trump's playbook and add another element to her campaign to compensate for her dwindling health status we may have a chance at winning the White House.

Default Re: I am a Hillary fan.. recapping her debate

Huge Hillary fan here. I love her explosive, fast break approach to this political race, but as we all know, defense wins championships. Don is "The Don" on defense and won't be rattled by Hillary.

   

i'm going to see if i can get through the whole thing, done in pieces throughout my day. i'll be curious where you hillary supporters might agree / disagree with me.

health, appearance and demeanor-- i have to agree with various articles that she doesn't look quite as well as the donald FWIW. that, combined with her somewhat shrill voice, load of eye-blinking, and somewhat annoying tendency to smile too much, do create a somewhat disingenuous presence for me.

meanwhile, the donald has opened up surprisingly focused, on point, and measured. he's confident in his talking points. that doesn't necessarily mean he knows what he's talking about, but it can't hurt his perception.

trade, jobs, china, taxes-- the moderator's initial premise is flawed to me, i.e. "how do we bring back jobs, etc?" (and maintain standard of living), creating a situation in which both debaters must BS somewhat or risk looking negative / ineffective.

that aside, i think we're starting to see what's below the surface of these two. trump is speaking to the rational or irrational desires of the man in the street, while hillary is basically saying "this is what the situation actually is. we're part of a complex trade agreement with the world. what you're advocating is trickle-down economics on steroids."

so far, trump seems like the pleasant ear-candy and hillary is the polite but steely school master who's not going to let you get away with any nonsense. it's immediately obvious where donald's advantages and hillary's negatives lie.

   

only 20+ min. in and hillary has settled down a lot. she's not blinking constantly anymore, her energy is picking up, and she's less smiley and more serious.

meanwhile, the donald has become more repetitive in his statements and increasingly loud-mouthed / borderline bullying. that's not really unusual for a candidate, but IMO it's not something you want to maintain this early in a debate.

seems pretty clear that unlike her husband, clinton is not good at charming people and doesn't seem to like the spotlight, but LIKE her husband, once you get her going on issues she can be quite detail-oriented and enthusiastic.

that's a real good sign for her supporters and for her potential presidency, i think.

Good college starter TommyGriffin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    As many of you may already be aware of I am a Die Hard Obama fan but I am also a fan of Hillary as well. Trump is in no way a contending candidate and is one of the weaker candidates in the race. There are no excuses for Hillary to get blown out at home by Trump. Hillary had 9 lies and only 4 truths and a sub par arguing night as well. Hillary cannot dominate the discussion as much as she does if our party is going to have a successful campaign. Tim Kaine is an excellent running mate and debater and needs to initiate the argument more. Hillary is not an out of the spotlight candidate but she needs to do something if our party is going to go anywhere. Trump is not only a threat on the stage he is just as much of a threat off the stage. That is why Republicans are able to thrive with defensive minded candidates. The Republicans have an amazing supporting cast with multiple All-Stars this year. If Hillary can take a page from Trump's playbook and add another element to her campaign to compensate for her dwindling health status we may have a chance at winning the White House.
    Hmm. Interesting take.