Default Saints, Falcons join hands in circle of unity after national anthem

Won't see this many places today (in fact, I had forgotten about it until a UK football blogger posted it) which doesn't surprise me at all but...

NEW ORLEANS -- The Saints and Falcons came together for a display of unity Monday night, joining hands in a circle on the field following the national anthem.

ESPN's Lisa Salter reported from the sideline during the broadcast that Saints coach Sean Payton reached out to Falcons coach Dan Quinn with the idea earlier in the week and that player leaders from both teams loved it. The coaches left it up to their quarterbacks, Drew Brees and Matt Ryan, to come up with the exact way for that statement to be both unifying and respectful of the national anthem.

Payton and Quinn figured it was a great way for players to join the growing protests around the NFL against injustice in America while still making it a message about unity, especially with two longtime rival teams from culturally rich cities. They planned to spend a minute holding hands in thought and prayer.

"I reached out to Drew [Brees] and just told him we were on board," Ryan said. "But I think the big thing was, I mean, obviously, everybody knows what's been going on throughout this entire year and for a long time. And people think things need to change. We all felt like the best way to do it was everybody do it together. And we wanted to send a message loud and clear that unity is probably the best way to make a change, and I thought that came across loud and clear tonight."
    Proud of both teams last night.

Default Re: Saints, Falcons join hands in circle of unity after national anthem

it's good that they are unifying to stand against racist cops.

if the enemy stand together, you better stand closer together.

Default Re: Saints, Falcons join hands in circle of unity after national anthem

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    it's good that they are unifying to stand against racist cops.

if the enemy stand together, you better stand closer together.