Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NY Times Paid No Taxes In 2014

Oh the irony... Pot, meet Kettle:

More recently, for tax year 2014, The New York Times paid no taxes and got an income tax refund of $3.5 million even though they had a pre-tax profit of $29.9 million in 2014. In other words, their post-tax profit was higher than their pre-tax profit. The explanation in their 2014 annual report is, “The effective tax rate for 2014 was favorably affected by approximately $21.1 million for the reversal of reserves for uncertain tax positions due to the lapse of applicable statutes of limitations.” If you don’t think it took fancy accountants and tax lawyers to make that happen, read the statement again.
    Amazingly, this website was front and center (possibly illegally) displaying Trumps' tax records and publicly tearing down Trump for paying no taxes 20 years ago. But when the story is flipped... silence. Isn't it funny?

This reminds me of CNN blasting Trump for calling his fat Miss Universe fat, when, in a twist of supreme irony, CNN literally said those same things about her.

I'm still amazed people read their garbage and believe it to be news.

If anything, the New York Times (and Trump) are examples of why our tax code is broken. But many on the left will excuse the NYT while continuing to blast Trump, even though both did the same thing (except the NYT got a nice refund check out of it).

Default Re: NY Times Paid No Taxes In 2014

Under which party are they running for president?

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    Under which party are they running for president?
    If you are running for president, you MUST pay taxes (even if the law doesn't state that you are required to).

If you aren't, feel free to take as much as you can.

Am I getting that right? Sounds like that's been the Democrat platform for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    If you are running for president, you MUST pay taxes (even if the law doesn't state that you are required to).

If you aren't, feel free to take as much as you can.

Am I getting that right? Sounds like that's been the Democrat platform for years now.
    Trump voluntarily put himself under center when he decided to run for President. Now that this has been revealed, he deserves the scrutiny because again, he is running for President. Sure, shame on NY Times, but they aren't running for president, no one but Trump supporters will care.

Classic response from Trump supporters: deflect as much as possible.

Banned

It wasn't just revealed though. In his first season of The Apprentice he mentioned he lost a billion dollars. In his own book published years ago, he has admitted to losing a billion dollars.

New York Times is basically using public knowledge and try to spin it as some 'late breaking' news when we already knew this about Trump.

Do your own research people. We are the most informed voters in history.

Trump voluntarily put himself under center when he decided to run for President. Now that this has been revealed, he deserves the scrutiny because again, he is running for President. Sure, shame on NY Times, but they aren't running for president, no one but Trump supporters will care.
    So... basically what I said?

The only people required to pay taxes that they do not owe are Clinton and Trump. Everyone else, grab what you can. Shame on you but, by all means, you aren't running for president. Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbQ72aBcuB8

What about Bernie? He was running for president. Does he have to pay taxes he doesn't owe, or nah? Is there a cut-off point?

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    It wasn't just revealed though. In his first season of The Apprentice he mentioned he lost a billion dollars. In his own book published years ago, he has admitted to losing a billion dollars.

New York Times is basically using public knowledge and try to spin it as some 'late breaking' news when we already knew this about Trump.

Do your own research people. We are the most informed voters in history.
    Again, deflection.

Trump supporter logic: let's redirect debate away from the main issue by focusing on the opponent or the media.

Super Handsome East River Livn''s Avatar

GE

Billions in profits
    Millions donated to Obama and Democrats
    Receives billions in bailout money
    Makes MSNBC the Democrat propaganda arm

Pays no taxes(most years)

Quote Originally Posted by UK2K
    So... basically what I said?

The only people required to pay taxes that they do not owe are Clinton and Trump. Everyone else, grab what you can. Shame on you but, by all means, you aren't running for president. Got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbQ72aBcuB8

What about Bernie? He was running for president. Does he have to pay taxes he doesn't owe, or nah? Is there a cut-off point?
    Umm like i said, shame on NY Times, but you're singling them out because every major corporation does it, and more severely. When Trump criticizes the lack of infrastructure, he truly has no weight on the issue because he isn't contributing his share.

Let's deflect more.

Umm like i said, shame on NY Times, but you're singling them out because every major corporation does it, and more severely. When Trump criticizes the lack of infrastructure, he truly has no weight on the issue because he isn't contributing his share.

Let's deflect more.
    And when they criticize Trump, it truly has no weight because they aren't contributing their share? Do you think your average NYT reader cares? Or do you think they have the same 'they're cool if they get a REFUND but Trump is a criminal because he didn't pay money he doesn't owe' mentality that you have?

What was his fair share? Per his tax returns, his fair share was $0. Which is exactly what he paid.

Don't like it? Fix the tax code. I'm sure you'd be super pumped to pay taxes you don't owe.

Banned

Again, deflection.

Trump supporter logic: let's redirect debate away from the main issue by focusing on the opponent or the media.

What am I trying to deflect?

Quote Originally Posted by East River Livn'

GE

Billions in profits
    Millions donated to Obama and Democrats
    Receives billions in bailout money
    Makes MSNBC the Democrat propaganda arm

Pays no taxes(most years)
    GE is another one that doesn't pay shit yet profits billions.

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

That makes them smart

Quote Originally Posted by Vragrant
    That makes them smart
    Agreed. I'd do the same thing if I were them (as would anyone else).

The overlying theme here is that our tax laws are ****ed, and need to be fixed.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

BREAKING NEWS: The super wealthy and big corporations don't pay their fair share in taxes!

If it wasn't for the NYT I would never have known this but now that this is common knowledge legislators are going to work night and day to correct this and ease the tax burden on the middle class, right?