Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Serious playground baller Annyong!'s Avatar

Default Vince Carter responds to idea of being in 2017 Dunk Contest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTwDvU8atEQ

“Do you think that you could still compete in the dunk contest?”
    Carter: “It’s possible. I don’t know if I’d win, but I think I’d make it interesting, to say the least.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/co...153744235.html

2014 Wiggins vs Carter vertical:

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Default Re: Vince Carter responds to idea of being in 2017 Dunk Contest

I hope he does, I agree with him that it would be interesting.

Back in the 00's when he was constantly missing games due to injury I never would have thought he'd still be around at 38. Good for him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I hope he does, I agree with him that it would be interesting.

Back in the 00's when he was constantly missing games due to injury I never would have thought he'd still be around at 38. Good for him though.
    Sometimes it seems like playing less games overall will make a player career last longer, like Grant Hill who was injured bad, but played till he was 40.

Good High School Starter Lord P's Avatar

What a freak. No matter what Lavine and Gordon want to do in the dunk contest, they'll never replicate what VC did in games.

VC is trippin. Even for guys around his age, they are good to give you a good, initial vert. It's the stamina that goes. Meaning his 1st dunk attempt might be solid but it all goes downhill from there.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
    Sometimes it seems like playing less games overall will make a player career last longer, like Grant Hill who was injured bad, but played till he was 40.
    Carter will be 40 this season and only once played less than 60 games in a full season, and that season he still played 43 games which is over half. Carter overall has been pretty durable, especially compared to Hill who missed an entire season and had 4 other seasons under 30 games in the middle of his career.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dirkdiggler41
    Possible. I think part of it is also that sports medicine has improved so we may see guys with a particular skill (in Carter's case, a jumper) stick around longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    VC is trippin. Even for guys around his age, they are good to give you a good, initial vert. It's the stamina that goes. Meaning his 1st dunk attempt might be solid but it all goes downhill from there.
    You would be right if he was talking about averaging 20 points. Constant running up and down the floor would be killer. But with the dunk contest he would just need to jog up and explode once, and then get some minutes rest between dunks.

You would be right if he was talking about averaging 20 points. Constant running up and down the floor would be killer. But with the dunk contest he would just need to jog up and explode once, and then get some minutes rest between dunks.
    Yeah, if he were just doing creative dunks that don't require full court build ups, he could be fine.

Possible. I think part of it is also that sports medicine has improved so we may see guys with a particular skill (in Carter's case, a jumper) stick around longer.
    He's still trippin. He's 39 going on 40. He might give you a solid dunk but that's it. He has no business being in the dunk contest. That's a young mans game.

3-time NBA All-Star

Would love to see this. It would be one of the more unique and interesting stories of the year. Dunk contest is mainly scrubs anyway. I hope this happens somehow.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

SMH at wiggins being listed 6'8....lmao

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by theaussieguy
    SMH at wiggins being listed 6'8....lmao
    Funny enough, I think he measured in at 6'8.75" with shoes on, so with his standing reach also being 8'11," he's a legit 6'9. LeBron is 6'8."

Medicine has helped, but Carter was not only a leaper. He was a very versatile player with a inside outside game. He strength no doubt was his athletic ability but I think its his skill, work ethic and adaptability that has kept him here as long as he has. He has also been a very willing role player with limited minutes. Not all stars are willing to become a small role player.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
    Medicine has helped, but Carter was not only a leaper. He was a very versatile player with a inside outside game. He strength no doubt was his athletic ability but I think its his skill, work ethic and adaptability that has kept him here as long as he has. He has also been a very willing role player with limited minutes. Not all stars are willing to become a small role player.
    This. People forget Vince could shoot. He's 6th all time in 3 pointers made likely to bump up to #5 after this season. His mid range game is solid as well, always had decent footwork.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

let him in and give him a 5 point handicap