Default Why do Fans under value assistant coaches?

Not just fans but the media too.
    Not so in Football where the contributions of coordinators are cited a lot.
    GM's have been taking notice like the Hawks, Lakers, NO, Nets, Utah,Denver etc have hired former assistants.
    How good will Phil be if he never met Tex Winter?
    Would the 2008 Boston really win a ring without Thibs?
    Mike Brown really looked good with Mike Malone assisting him at Cleveland
    So did Adelman with Pete Carril.
    Golden State just hired Mike Brown as Kerr's assistant 3 months ago and nobody has taken notice.

Default Re: Why do Fans under value assistant coaches?

Because you guys never played on a basketball team before

most fans are ignorant of what goes on behind team practices. all they can see is what goes on during games. their knowledge of coaching is further colored by Hollywood, portrayals of which aren't as accurate as can be.

you read what posters here write when talking of coaching and most of them are a laugh. totally ignorant. you can see who has played for a coach and who's just talking out of their ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Not just fans but the media too.
    Not so in Football where the contributions of coordinators are cited a lot.
    GM's have been taking notice like the Hawks, Lakers, NO, Nets, Utah,Denver etc have hired former assistants.
    How good will Phil be if he never met Tex Winter?
    Would the 2008 Boston really win a ring without Thibs?
    Mike Brown really looked good with Mike Malone assisting him at Cleveland
    So did Adelman with Pete Carril.
    Golden State just hired Mike Brown as Kerr's assistant 3 months ago and nobody has taken notice.
    Your entire post is 95% True.

One thing that bothers me is that to me, call me paranoid, that Mike Brown hiring is just a way to further understand their main and only threat. That guy in Cleveland.

Same with Varejao signing, know your enemy.
    Though in hindsight with Festus and Bogut gone, their depth behind Zaza is nonexistant, so Varejao looks like a good pick up nowdays.

But to the Topic, OP, yeah, assistants are very imporant, but we don't hear about them in the media until their name comes up in HC vacancy talks.

And no matter how much basketball you watch, since you aren't actually in the locker room, you can't really see how impactful an Assistant Coach is unless someone talks about him in the media.

So really, Media, my friend, Media.
    On the court I see the players, and Timeouts/subs which I'll always naturally credit to the Head Coach, and Plays being executed which I'll also credit the coach and maybe the Floor General (CP3, Ricky Rubio, Lebron James/Draymond Green or anyone who runs an offense at times)

So as a fan WATCHING Games on T.V, I can't really appreciate an assistant's value without the Media sharing it with me, or players in interviews.

That's my two cents on the matter, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    most fans are ignorant of what goes on behind team practices. all they can see is what goes on during games. their knowledge of coaching is further colored by Hollywood, portrayals of which aren't as accurate as can be.

you read what posters here write when talking of coaching and most of them are a laugh. totally ignorant. you can see who has played for a coach and who's just talking out of their ass.
    The book about legendary Indiana coach Bobby Knight called Season on a Brink revealed how Bobby rely heavily on his assistants to conduct long practices that he would barely be there in some occasions.
    Phil Jackson and UCLA wizard John Wooden said 90% of coaching happens on the practice court and film review.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    Your entire post is 95% True.

One thing that bothers me is that to me, call me paranoid, that Mike Brown hiring is just a way to further understand their main and only threat. That guy in Cleveland.

Same with Varejao signing, know your enemy.
    Though in hindsight with Festus and Bogut gone, their depth behind Zaza is nonexistant, so Varejao looks like a good pick up nowdays.

But to the Topic, OP, yeah, assistants are very imporant, but we don't hear about them in the media until their name comes up in HC vacancy talks.

And no matter how much basketball you watch, since you aren't actually in the locker room, you can't really see how impactful an Assistant Coach is unless someone talks about him in the media.

So really, Media, my friend, Media.
    On the court I see the players, and Timeouts/subs which I'll always naturally credit to the Head Coach, and Plays being executed which I'll also credit the coach and maybe the Floor General (CP3, Ricky Rubio, Lebron James/Draymond Green or anyone who runs an offense at times)

So as a fan WATCHING Games on T.V, I can't really appreciate an assistant's value without the Media sharing it with me, or players in interviews.

That's my two cents on the matter, OP.
    Warriors currently have super athlete Javale McGhee and ring chase David West in their frontcourt.
    The media would "sometimes" write about assistant coaches but very seldom. I guess they don't sell jerseys or that they think the common fan would not really care to read them.
    re: Mike Brown, I think he would be a valuable asset esp in film reviews spotting little details, where he actually started under Pops.
    As a fan, I would like to be educated with most aspects of the game.

I rule the local playground

Because most people don't know the inner workings of a basketball team. Head coach is the one that gets all the credit and all the blame.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    The book about legendary Indiana coach Bobby Knight called Season on a Brink revealed how Bobby rely heavily on his assistants to conduct long practices that he would barely be there in some occasions.
    Phil Jackson and UCLA wizard John Wooden said 90% of coaching happens on the practice court and film review.
    which is true. and you gotta be a player who have played for a coach to appreciate this.

which is why i find it so funny when regular fans dig into the "x and o's" as the end-all be-all job of a coach. they think the primary job of a coach is to call subs and orchestrate plays on the floor

well, if you taught your boys to play proper basketball, then maybe you wouldn't have need of calling plays on the floor in game time you dimwit. yes, there's a need to adjust, but most of coaching is done by preparing the players before the game.

none of this is more evident when you watch a poorly coached team vs a well-coached team. the poorly-coached team will play street ball, with no structure or system whatsoever. they simply weren't taught what to do. maybe all the coach knew to do in practice was let them run and do laps and play scrimmage, fk the offensive and defensive sets. some PGs can't even run the pick and roll properly, and this is the most basic and simplest play in basketball. that's the fault of the coach if the PG keeps ignoring the open roll man.

Because we don't watch the game because of them?

Most fans will comment if they notice a nice play that is consistently working, or a pick up in one department of the game over a span of time, and accredit it to the assistant.

What more should we do?