Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NBA Awards will be revealed on T.V -- After the Playoffs are over

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...on-awards-show

I don't really mind the concept of showing it in a live show, I guess that's fine.
    What does bother me somewhat is the 26th of June thing.

That means it will happen after the NBA Finals.

I really liked the narrative of getting MVP early postseason and hoisting it before games and watching how this year's MVP and DOPY and stuff fare in the playoffs.

(Narratives like Harden Vs Curry in the WCF (MVP and 2nd Place)
    Or D-Rose Vs Lebron ( 2011, ECF, MVP vs previous one)
    Or OKC Vs Memphis 2014 (Will the MVP be eliminated first round?)

Thoughts?

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Default Re: NBA Awards will be revealed on T.V -- After the Playoffs are over

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/1...on-awards-show

I don't really mind the concept of showing it in a live show, I guess that's fine.
    What does bother me somewhat is the 26th of June thing.

That means it will happen after the NBA Finals.

I really liked the narrative of getting MVP early postseason and hoisting it before games and watching how this year's MVP and DOPY and stuff fare in the playoffs.

(Narratives like Harden Vs Curry in the WCF (MVP and 2nd Place)
    Or D-Rose Vs Lebron ( 2011, ECF, MVP vs previous one)
    Or OKC Vs Memphis 2014 (Will the MVP be eliminated first round?)

Thoughts?
    I agree.

Sorta reminds me of when they decided to replace the dunk contest with that 2ball bullshit.

Hopefully they will scrap this too.

Sounds lame AF.

If they had done this in the past the history of the nba would look a lot different

Its going to be hard not to pick the finals mvp for the mvp now

I would be against this but after seeing Kobe snubbed for the mvp in 09 and 10 I support this new set up

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    If they had done this in the past the history of the nba would look a lot different

Its going to be hard not to pick the finals mvp for the mvp now

I would be against this but after seeing Kobe snubbed for the mvp in 09 and 10 I support this new set up
    ...you understand they are just going to reveal them after playoffs, right? They will still be chosen at the end of the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    ...you understand they are just going to reveal them after playoffs, right? They will still be chosen at the end of the regular season.
    That just doesnt make sense to me. So your saying if this award show happened last year that Curry would have still been the MVP over Bron?

The backlash would have been incredible

The playoffs are obviously going to be a huge factor for these awards now

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    That just doesnt make sense to me. So your saying if this award show happened last year that Curry would have still been the MVP over Bron?

The backlash would have been incredible

The playoffs are obviously going to be a huge factor for these awards now
    The playoffs have no bearing on the awards...this is just when they are going to be revealed which is why it's so goddamn stupid. Nobody wants to wait that long to find out who the winners are.

These hoes ain't loyal Nuff Said's Avatar

I don't believe the voting will be done before playoffs. Where's the proof? If true, what's the point?

Isn't this the players awards, different from the league awards.
    Harden was voted by the players the first year Steph won it.

3-time NBA All-Star

What a terrible idea. So these repetitive constant MVP debates are going to be dragged out for another month and a half? And is anyone really going to give a shit about this stuff when the CF and Finals are going on?

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Very pointless. Unless they make a new award called Playoff MVP.

That sucks

Good High School Starter Lord P's Avatar

Thats just turrible.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

2008, 2005, and 2003 are the only recent years we didnt all know who was winning MVP before the season ended anyway. Nobody was wondering who would get it last year....just if it would be undisputed.

Its still nice to have it during the playoffs though.

i like the idea of an award show if done right it will keep people interested in the league after the finals and before the draft. I think the NHL does a similar type thing

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    2008, 2005, and 2003 are the only recent years we didnt all know who was winning MVP before the season ended anyway. Nobody was wondering who would get it last year....just if it would be undisputed.

Its still nice to have it during the playoffs though.
    I dunno, friend.

It seems like 2015 was awfully close as well. And while 2014 wasn't -THAT- close it could've still gone either way depending on the last 10 games and the way it went back and forth.