Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ricky Rubio: "EuroLeague Is More Physical Than The NBA".

Yet another enormous myth created by NBA only fans, that the "NBA is more physical than the EuroLeague", which is totally laughable to anyone that has seen a EuroLeague game, gets busted.

http://www.eurohoops.net/featured/33...olas-footsteps

Chase Budinger: “It excites me to follow in Luis Scola’s footsteps”

The official presentation of American forward Chase Budinger, the newest signing of Baskonia, took place today in Vitoria, two days ahead of what might be his EuroLeague debut (in Belgrade against Crvena Zvezda).

Budinger talked about what he hopes to bring in the game of his new team, the discussions he held with Ricky Rubio before arriving in Spain, and how Luis Scola’s previous presence in Baskonia inspires him.

“Baskonia is a high level organization. Luis Scola (played for Baskonia from 2000 to 2007) was a mentor to me, and it excites me to follow in his footsteps. I also talked with Ricky Rubio, who told me the differences between NBA and Europe, especially how the game is more physical here.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typical ISH troll - "but, but, but NBA is like a million times more physical than the EuroLeague"......
    Last edited by Euroleague; 11-02-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Default Re: Ricky Rubio: "EuroLeague Is More Physical Than The NBA".

Ricky Rubio shot NBAs worst FG% next to Kobe Bryant in 2015-2016

It is. How does that make it better tho?

Ricky Rubio also said "[Euroleague] is some weak ass bullsh1t"... he continued, "except for the GOAT Anthony Parker. Everyone else is a scrub tho"

Look, friend, I'm all for Euroleague.
    I live in Israel, and we've got plenty of teams playing in the Cup and League. Some even in the newly founded FIBA thingy.

And I've watched plenty of games.
    Amar'e Stoudamire just got here to the Israeli League. He's averaging less then ten points and a few rebounds. People thought he's going to wreck our league the way Ex-NBA players do in the Chinese League.

So yeah, European Leagues can be good.
    And yes, they are more physical.

Due to a few things.

1. Less Spacing. The 3PT in is closer, which naturally means people are more packed in.

2. Less Talent. You don't have to close out people like you do Curry, Kyrie and Lillard. So people stay in the paint and you see alot of running contests.

3. Positions are less solidified than in the NBA, so you see -tons- of mismatchs and people trying to take it to the paint, since you got people in all heights playing 2-4. Centers and PG's are really the only ones you can tell apart imo.

EuroLeague offenses are more elaborate due to a few reason,
    1. Players don't ISO as well. Less talent means more spoonfed offense.
    2. Coachs are -much- more dominant here. The Coach is God. That's why Blatt experienced difficulties adjusting to a 'Players League'. Meaning no such thing as a CP3 calling plays on his own accord. Doesn't matter if you're Sergio Lull or Anthony Parker (Prime years in Maccabi, European GOAT), the Coach is the one calling the plays. Offenses are more disciplained and less talent driven.

Overall the game is different.
    But Talent? Talent wins.

You see it in the International competitions.
    You see it in the Friendly games in between seasons.
    You see it when European players coming from Messina led teams (Cska Moscow a few years ago), Obradovich and Blatt, struggling in the NBA where Personal ability carries much more weight.

Overall? Both are entertaining, but Euroleague is Top Heavy. Some games can be really dull. You got like 4-5 exciting teams a season and there's LOTS of choking in the knockout stage in Real Madrid, Some greek teams, Turkish teams here and there

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    Ricky Rubio shot NBAs worst FG% next to Kobe Bryant in 2015-2016
    He shot even worse in Europe.

translation: less skilled

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    He shot even worse in Europe.
    Wasn't he like 16?

Quote Originally Posted by BigKAT
    Look, friend, I'm all for Euroleague.
    I live in Israel, and we've got plenty of teams playing in the Cup and League. Some even in the newly founded FIBA thingy.

And I've watched plenty of games.
    Amar'e Stoudamire just got here to the Israeli League. He's averaging less then ten points and a few rebounds. People thought he's going to wreck our league the way Ex-NBA players do in the Chinese League.

So yeah, European Leagues can be good.
    And yes, they are more physical.

Due to a few things.

1. Less Spacing. The 3PT in is closer, which naturally means people are more packed in.

2. Less Talent. You don't have to close out people like you do Curry, Kyrie and Lillard. So people stay in the paint and you see alot of running contests.

3. Positions are less solidified than in the NBA, so you see -tons- of mismatchs and people trying to take it to the paint, since you got people in all heights playing 2-4. Centers and PG's are really the only ones you can tell apart imo.

EuroLeague offenses are more elaborate due to a few reason,
    1. Players don't ISO as well. Less talent means more spoonfed offense.
    2. Coachs are -much- more dominant here. The Coach is God. That's why Blatt experienced difficulties adjusting to a 'Players League'. Meaning no such thing as a CP3 calling plays on his own accord. Doesn't matter if you're Sergio Lull or Anthony Parker (Prime years in Maccabi, European GOAT), the Coach is the one calling the plays. Offenses are more disciplained and less talent driven.

Overall the game is different.
    But Talent? Talent wins.

You see it in the International competitions.
    You see it in the Friendly games in between seasons.
    You see it when European players coming from Messina led teams (Cska Moscow a few years ago), Obradovich and Blatt, struggling in the NBA where Personal ability carries much more weight.

Overall? Both are entertaining, but Euroleague is Top Heavy. Some games can be really dull. You got like 4-5 exciting teams a season and there's LOTS of choking in the knockout stage in Real Madrid, Some greek teams, Turkish teams here and there
    If you are talking about EuroLeague specifically, which is the topic of discussion here, then this is just another myth. It's a myth both from NBA fans and many European basketball fans.

If you are talking about a guy coaching just in some European domestic league, and nothing else, then sure. That's ONE game a week. And the teams practice to a ridiculous amount, so much so that many American players can't handle the physical grind when they first come to Europe. NBA players in particular have stamina issues when dealing with all the practice.

So yes, in those cases the coaches have a lot of control.

However, in the case of Blatt, and other EuroLeague coaches, that is simply a nonsense myth and it isn't true. You have EuroLeague teams now playing 85 to 90 games a season, and travelling all over Europe.

These teams are practicing no more than an NBA team these days, with many games played where there was no practice at all before the games, just like in the NBA.

With very little time to scout the opponents and prepare game plans and strategy, just like the NBA. So in the case of EuroLeague teams and coaches, that's actually not at all true.

Also, Anthony Parker was not even the best player on Maccabi. Sarunas Jasikevicius was the clear leader and best player on that Maccabi team. I know, because I watched all their games. Anthony Parker cannot be the "EuroLeague GOAT", when he was not even the best player on his own EuroLeague team.

Also, Blatt and Messina are extremely overrated coaches, and were always the two most overrated coaches in Europe, especially by a huge degree in the case of Messina (most overrated coach of all time in Europe).

No one with any serious basketball knowledge ever thought they were that good of coaches. They are just OK coaches, and nothing more than that.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 11-02-2016 at 05:09 PM.

Wasn't he like 16?
    He was age 20 his last year in Europe. He was anywhere from 14-20 in ACB or 16-20 in EuroLeague and the 2nd level EuroCup, and never even shot 40% if I remember.
    Last edited by Euroleague; 11-02-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroleague
    If you are talking about EuroLeague specifically, which is the topic of discussion here, then this is just another myth. It's a myth both from NBA fans and many European basketball fans.

If you are talking about a guy coaching just in some European domestic league, and nothing else, then sure. That's ONE game a week. And the teams practice to a ridiculous amount, so much so that many American players can't handle the physical grind when they first come to Europe. NBA players in particular have stamina issues when dealing with all the practice.

So yes, in those cases the coaches have a lot of control.

However, in the case of Blatt, and other EuroLeague coaches, that is simply a nonsense myth and it isn't true. You have EuroLeague teams now playing 85 to 90 games a season, and travelling all over Europe.

These teams are practicing no more than an NBA team these days, with many games played where there was no practice at all before the games, just like in the NBA.

With very little time to scout the opponents and prepare game plans and strategy, just like the NBA. So in the case of EuroLeague teams and coaches, that's actually not at all true.

Also, Anthony Parker was not even the best player on Maccabi. Sarunas Jasikevicius was the clear leader and best player on that Maccabi team. I know, because I watched all their games. Anthony Parker cannot be the "EuroLeague GOAT", when he was not even the best player on his own EuroLeague team.

Also, Blatt and Messina are extremely overrated coaches, and were always the two most overrated coaches in Europe, especially by a huge degree in the case of Messina (most overrated coach of all time in Europe).

No one with any serious basketball knowledge ever thought they were that good of coaches. They are just OK coaches, and nothing more than that.

Come on man Blatt was terrific.
    That 2014 Run was superb. Getting Tyrece off the bench and opting to use Tayus off the bench as a small ball Center instead of the overweight and slowed down one we had (Greek guy, complicated name) was a great idea. Also he got the best out of oldies like David Blue and Pnini. Great, Great coaching. Triple Crown, incredible upset of Milano and Real and CSKA.

And yeah, obradovic we agree is a legendary coach in European standards right?

And when I talked about Coach's position I didn't only mean it because of the practicing. I didn't even talk about the number of games.

It's something in the culture of the Leagues. Coachs are more respected then in the NBA, regardless of training time. Fact is, NBA players have huge Egos. In the Euroleague, if a player think he is too good the Coach can just say 'Hey. If you were -that- good, you would be over there. So shut your mouth and listen to my gameplan.''

Obviously it's not black and white but you get my point man.

Is that why he is out "indefinitely" from a little elbow bruise?

You know where the game is more physical?
    On the streets, doesn't actually make it better than the NBA.

Who cares?

EuroLeague doesn't have the athletes that the NBA has. Its a completely different style of basketball.

Come on man Blatt was terrific.
    That 2014 Run was superb. Getting Tyrece off the bench and opting to use Tayus off the bench as a small ball Center instead of the overweight and slowed down one we had (Greek guy, complicated name) was a great idea. Also he got the best out of oldies like David Blue and Pnini. Great, Great coaching. Triple Crown, incredible upset of Milano and Real and CSKA.

And yeah, obradovic we agree is a legendary coach in European standards right?

And when I talked about Coach's position I didn't only mean it because of the practicing. I didn't even talk about the number of games.

It's something in the culture of the Leagues. Coachs are more respected then in the NBA, regardless of training time. Fact is, NBA players have huge Egos. In the Euroleague, if a player think he is too good the Coach can just say 'Hey. If you were -that- good, you would be over there. So shut your mouth and listen to my gameplan.''

Obviously it's not black and white but you get my point man.
    Blatt isn't that great of a coach. He was a miserable failure in Efes, Aris, and Dynamo Moscow, and his current team looks mediocre also.

He also only really had 2 good years with Maccabi, and several average to even bad years with them.

He's an overrated coach without any doubt. He's something like a mid level coach for NBA or EuroLeague, but he is hyped as being an elite coaching mind. So by definition then, he's definitely overrated.