Default What Owning a Ramen Restaurant In Japan is Like

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: What Owning a Ramen Restaurant In Japan is Like

this is true for almost any restaurant in a big city, not just Japan. it's one of the toughest businesses. once you get into it, you can pretty much say goodbye to vacations. working hours are longer than just hours of operation; there are so many details to manage; rent is high and, worst of all, the margins are often pretty low. over half of new restaurants that are not franchised end up closing in 18 months. you gotta really love it and have tons of experience in knowing how to run it.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    this is true for almost any restaurant in a big city, not just Japan. it's one of the toughest businesses. once you get into it, you can pretty much say goodbye to vacations. working hours are longer than just hours of operation; there are so many details to manage; rent is high and, worst of all, the margins are often pretty low. over half of new restaurants that are not franchised end up closing in 18 months. you gotta really love it and have tons of experience in knowing how to run it.
    Around 9:12. When asked if the owner would hire others and try to take fewer hours himself, he said he would try to open up a second restaurant. This guy BREATHES ramen.

Banned

If margins are so low, why do so many first time business owners open restaurants?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    If margins are so low, why do so many first time business owners open restaurants?

they're just pursing their passions and dreams. the probability of making money as a first-timer is not statistically in their favor though, but entrepreneurs tend to be optimists and risk takers. the harsh reality is that you got far more losers than winners in that game. this does not mean they are all doomed to fail, but it is one of the hardest businesses to succeed in. if they get it right in that industry on their very first attempt, it's pretty much a grand slam home run.
    Last edited by DCL; 11-20-2016 at 11:40 AM.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

I think many people like the idea that you can make it with hard work and dedication unlike other industries. You don't need to have a doctorates, you don't need to come from some prestigious family, etc. If you grind it out you can make it. It's why alot of immigrants open up dinners and restaurants in the US when they come.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Because the world does not evolve around margins for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    I just came back from Japan two months ago, and it really is something different.

While I agree with you about how running a restaurant is difficult anywhere, Japan really seemed to be a great place to have a local business. Because the city is so expansive, particularly Tokyo, people really get behind their local businesses. Whether simply due to convenience, or any other reason, you see the same people at the same small stores and restaurants almost every day.
    Almost like little mini economies everywhere.

On another note, the ramen in Japan is so much better than anywhere else. We probably ate at 20 different ramen places while there and every single one was different, but equally as delicious. Funnily enough, I was really looking forward to rice dishes and sushi, but they tasted almost identical to what you'd probably get in America or other western countries.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I just came back from Japan two months ago, and it really is something different.

While I agree with you about how running a restaurant is difficult anywhere, Japan really seemed to be a great place to have a local business. Because the city is so expansive, particularly Tokyo, people really get behind their local businesses. Whether simply due to convenience, or any other reason, you see the same people at the same small stores and restaurants almost every day.
    Almost like little mini economies everywhere.

On another note, the ramen in Japan is so much better than anywhere else. We probably ate at 20 different ramen places while there and every single one was different, but equally as delicious. Funnily enough, I was really looking forward to rice dishes and sushi, but they tasted almost identical to what you'd probably get in America or other western countries.
    I wanna go so bad, I feel like Tokyo is an overrated travel spot though because of the tourism. What do you suggest for that local town feel, i've heard mixed reviews for Okinawa.