Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The Last of Us 2

Reviews are starting to trickle in

Gonna be hard to trump the original, but looks like Naughty Dog might have superseded themselves again, first with Uncharted 4 and now TLOU 2

I've seen the trophy list (it's spoiler free), but the platinum looks piss easy. No difficulty in the slightest. ND makes tremendous games but terrible trophies.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease vetlantram's Avatar

Take on Me

Thats all I have to say. What a ****ing game. Wow.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh View Post
    Liars. The game is at best a 7/10.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I just got started over this past weekend. I had ordered the Ellie Edition from a sketchy website, and it didn't come in time. But I finally got it and loaded it up Friday night. Played a ton over the weekend. So it's at least good enough to get me immediately engaged. Personally I'm loving it so far. I really dig the extra exploration element. I just finished the downtown area with the map and all the different locations you can do in different orders, and all the little ruins with various explorable areas. It reminded me of the UnCharted DLC with the two girls, an open space with various "level" style areas. Almost metroidvania like in that you're locked off by keys and the like. The whole slipped back on like a comfortable slipper.

Saw a basketball once

I would like to have a PS just to play The Last of Us (1+2)

I finished it over the weekend. For a game that didn't add a ton in terms of gamesplay from it's predecessor, it did improve a ton in some of the gameplay senses. Notably it just felt like it had a ton more well designed, and just more combat set pieces in general, than the original. There was also a big improvement in the enemy design. Both in terms of the AI, and the narrative stuff where the enemy groups were just way more fleshed out, between little things like adding names to the NPCs, to the notes that you find along the way that build a plot throughline, and just the general culture of them. The general world building is astonishing, and we don't get the throwaway groups like the one in Pittsburgh from the first game. Really makes me look forward to the tv series. And I really think the right way to do that show will be to just generally explore the world, as opposed to honing in on a couple characters, but I'm sure that's not what they'll do.

But overall, because the game is so driven by it's narrative, and I just didn't feel like the narrative was as good as the original, I just don't think it's quite as good a game. The narrative in total is superb, arching over both games, it's some of the best stuff of it's kind in any media format in my opinion. I'd talk specifics of my issues with it somewhere else, but it'd be too spoiler heavy, and I have a couple particular thorns with it. Maybe I'll write something up in white text later if anyone is interested.

Generally speaking though, from a story perspective, what this game lacked that the first one had, was probably a good editor. And it's not just that it's too long, which it is, but the pacing isn't as punchy. Jamming the whole story into a shorter span of time as opposed to the seasonal episodes of the first game limits the character growth dramatically. It also squishes the setting. Still an incredible gaming experience.

I've started a New Game+ that I'm blowing through hoping to finish off all the collectibles, which I did way better on the first time through than I expected. And it's fun being able to go at it with the expanded arsenal right off the bat. It's also interesting reading those collectible notes along the way knowing the story now ahead of time, because you can really see the meaning more expressly.

While not quite the original, still a genuine masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous View Post
    I finished it over the weekend. For a game that didn't add a ton in terms of gamesplay from it's predecessor, it did improve a ton in some of the gameplay senses. Notably it just felt like it had a ton more well designed, and just more combat set pieces in general, than the original. There was also a big improvement in the enemy design. Both in terms of the AI, and the narrative stuff where the enemy groups were just way more fleshed out, between little things like adding names to the NPCs, to the notes that you find along the way that build a plot throughline, and just the general culture of them. The general world building is astonishing, and we don't get the throwaway groups like the one in Pittsburgh from the first game. Really makes me look forward to the tv series. And I really think the right way to do that show will be to just generally explore the world, as opposed to honing in on a couple characters, but I'm sure that's not what they'll do.

But overall, because the game is so driven by it's narrative, and I just didn't feel like the narrative was as good as the original, I just don't think it's quite as good a game. The narrative in total is superb, arching over both games, it's some of the best stuff of it's kind in any media format in my opinion. I'd talk specifics of my issues with it somewhere else, but it'd be too spoiler heavy, and I have a couple particular thorns with it. Maybe I'll write something up in white text later if anyone is interested.

Generally speaking though, from a story perspective, what this game lacked that the first one had, was probably a good editor. And it's not just that it's too long, which it is, but the pacing isn't as punchy. Jamming the whole story into a shorter span of time as opposed to the seasonal episodes of the first game limits the character growth dramatically. It also squishes the setting. Still an incredible gaming experience.

I've started a New Game+ that I'm blowing through hoping to finish off all the collectibles, which I did way better on the first time through than I expected. And it's fun being able to go at it with the expanded arsenal right off the bat. It's also interesting reading those collectible notes along the way knowing the story now ahead of time, because you can really see the meaning more expressly.

While not quite the original, still a genuine masterpiece.
    sick review

did you hear anything about it getting a multiplayer like Factions on the first one?

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
    sick review

did you hear anything about it getting a multiplayer like Factions on the first one?
    Thanks.

I haven't heard anything, but it feels like it has to come. After finishing almost every advanced combat sequence, and going back to scavenge all the supplies, I found it crazy how much the combat arenas had been developed. Nooks and crannies with cover, sneaky passages for flanking opponents, multiple floors of height to position yourself on high ground, or sneak underneath. These arenas were built with multi-player combat in mind. Had to be. I'm afraid it'll somehow be PS5 exclusive through some DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous View Post
    Thanks.

I haven't heard anything, but it feels like it has to come. After finishing almost every advanced combat sequence, and going back to scavenge all the supplies, I found it crazy how much the combat arenas had been developed. Nooks and crannies with cover, sneaky passages for flanking opponents, multiple floors of height to position yourself on high ground, or sneak underneath. These arenas were built with multi-player combat in mind. Had to be. I'm afraid it'll somehow be PS5 exclusive through some DLC.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they made a multiplayer for it free to play like other games have and just milk $$$ off pushing cosmetics and skins. This looks to be the direction a lot of PVP games are going nowadays

I thought the multiplayer for both TLOU and Uncharted 4 were done really well.

I have heard a lot of negative feedback on this game but I am going to play the game myself and draw up my own evaluations

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by KD7 View Post
    I have heard a lot of negative feedback on this game but I am going to play the game myself and draw up my own evaluations
    It's always the best choice

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
    sick review

Factions gameplay leaked.

https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/the-l...gameplay-leak/