Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Did Jordan ever face a team in the Finals as good as the '06-07 Spurs?

match ups at times would be fabulous:

Bowen on Jordan would be interesting as would Manu on Pippen.

Duncan would be fun to watch going against Worm too.

I think the Bulls would win because Pippen and Jordan could keep Tony Parker out of the middle and frustrate him with their length.

The only hope for the Spurs would be big production from the bench and a huge series from Michael Finley.

Bulls in Six

Very good NBA starter ConanRulesNBC's Avatar

Default Re: Did Jordan ever face a team in the Finals as good as the '06-07 Spurs?

Wow, this Spurs team really is overrated. You really think it would go to 6 games?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ConanRulesNBC
    Wow, this Spurs team really is overrated. You really think it would go to 6 games?

I think the Spurs are better than the '98 Jazz,a nd they went six, so yeah, six games easy.

Serious playground baller EuJazz's Avatar

Jordan himself said that the Jazz were the toughest team of any of his titles. The second of the Jazz teams, that is. I'd take them still > the '07 Spurs, maybe it's a bias, but it's definitely arguable.

Decent college freshman eeeeeebro's Avatar

serious note i think 07 - 08 spurs > 1991 bulls but bulls with rodman > spurs and even 1991 would arguably have to be a grinded out series to tell if spurs won or not so we wont know but i definately know rodman would effect duncan some how

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by teflon don
    All those teams better than this year's Spur team and a Barkley led Suns squad?

I think you're reaching....severely.

You forgot Kevin Johnson and Dan Majerle combination > Paker Ginobili combination.

And I know Barkley never won anything but he was a beast, Prime Brakley > Duncan

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/1993.html

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by el_locoteee
    You forgot Kevin Johnson and Dan Majerle combination > Paker Ginobili combination.

And I know Barkley never won anything but he was a beast, Prime Brakley > Duncan

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/1993.html
    Barkley's my fave player all time, but this one is tough

and Manu would own Thunder Dan, but KJ would beat up Parker. Taht Suns team was the best team the Bulls beat IMO though so I wont argue with you too hard.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Barkley's my fave player all time, but this one is tough

and Manu would own Thunder Dan, but KJ would beat up Parker. Taht Suns team was the best team the Bulls beat IMO though so I wont argue with you too hard.
    Im talking about the combination the results of KJ a Dan give better results than Ginabili, Parker combination.

And Prime barkley better than prime Duncan but overoll Duncan puts consistents numbers and got the results, Brakley decide to eat Donut instead.

This is why Jordan won (Sorry bowen you cant defend that)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Evzj9f3jc

Sorry you dont going to see this in Lebron, not this Lebron maybe in the future.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease BlackMoses's Avatar

The Spurs would give the Bulls a lot of problems.

The backcourt would be in favor of the Bulls, but they wouldn't shut down the Spurs at all.

The Spurs would own the front court.

Horry gives the Spurs a big advantage because of his ability to space the floor and knock down the three. Who's going to guard him???? If the Bulls put a small on him, he can post up. With all the space, Duncan is isolated on Rodman. Rodman would be in foul trouble very quickly.

The Bulls don't have any offense coming form the front court which would allow Duncan to roam and help on MJ. Manu would be drawing a few charges from Pippen and Jordan's rentless drives.

Honestly, this Spurs team is better than just about anyone Michael faced. It would be a tough series, with both teams taking their games at home. I think the series goes at least 6-7 games, with the Bulls taking it in the end. If the Spurs had Robert Horry from a few years back, then the Spurs would win.

Very good NBA starter

Bowen on (prime) Jordan would be a site to see!... this picture obviously isn't that, but worth posting either way.

As for the Spurs, I'll take them being "overrated". If the best team in the league is overrated, then imagine how bad some of these other "great" teams right now would be against the best teams of the 80's and 90's. It's laughable. I'd like to think if a couple of teams in the league had a chance against the best 80's/90's teams, the Spurs would be high on, or on top of, the list. Not a bad thing at all imo. The Spurs have remained constant contenders for almost a decade, being overrated in terms of "all time greatest teams" isn't the worst that could happen. Try making an argument for the '07 Suns or Mavs against the better teams of the 90's.

Personally, I don't think the Spurs would be thoroughly "dominated" by those teams. Beaten in 5 or 6, most likely, but not quite dominated. Physical basketball isn't absent from their repertoire, so I don't see that being their biggest weakness. They're pretty deep, and if big men where more of a necessity back then, they have a handful of them (Duncan, Elson, Oberto, Horry, Butler, Ely, Bonner), albeit most are average - at best. There's so many variables to a series/matchup though. I do find it interesting that in the majority of posts in this thread, nobody has brought up any matchups, or mentioned any players/rosters other than Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Malone, Stockton, Payton and other perenial "all-stars". I didn't know NBA basketball was a game of 3 on 3. Nobody has mentioned Gregg Popovich either. In terms of this thread, I think he's being underrated. Solid, defensive-minded, coach who will get on a teams' ass even when they're winning. If there's one guy I'd want going up against the then-Jacksons and Rileys, it'd be Popovich.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMoses
    The Spurs would give the Bulls a lot of problems.

The backcourt would be in favor of the Bulls, but they wouldn't shut down the Spurs at all.

The Spurs would own the front court.

Horry gives the Spurs a big advantage because of his ability to space the floor and knock down the three. Who's going to guard him???? If the Bulls put a small on him, he can post up. With all the space, Duncan is isolated on Rodman. Rodman would be in foul trouble very quickly.

The Bulls don't have any offense coming form the front court which would allow Duncan to roam and help on MJ. Manu would be drawing a few charges from Pippen and Jordan's rentless drives.

Honestly, this Spurs team is better than just about anyone Michael faced. It would be a tough series, with both teams taking their games at home. I think the series goes at least 6-7 games, with the Bulls taking it in the end. If the Spurs had Robert Horry from a few years back, then the Spurs would win.
    I like the way you think!

Also, about the part in bold. It made me think. Who would have more of an advantage in the game, if it was played in today's game, or in the 90's. Like I said in my above post, I don't think the Spurs have trouble playing tough defense and offense (both physically and mentally). It would be very interesting to watch Jordan/Pippen/Rodman playing in todays game of ticky tack fouls. Would also be interesting to watch Duncan/Horry/Bowen playing together in a more aggressive era, with Popovich steering the ship.

LAKER FAN FOR LIFE lovethetriangle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    The '93 Suns, '92/'93 Knicks, '96 Sonics, '97/'98 Jazz, and '98 Pacers were all comparable to the Spurs. Hard to say who's "better" because the Spurs are playing against different comp. team-wise. I don't think there are as many solid teams in the league as there used to be -- teams that played team ball, played good defense, and were tough mentally (biggest point imo).

I'd even put the Blazers up there, but they weren't all together mentally (similar to how we saw Detroit -- a clearly superior team -- fall apart from a lack of leadership this year). And of course the '89/'90 Pistons were better, but Chicago didn't beat them.

Thread should've ended here.

   

of course he did. what kind of dumbass question is this?

are you drunk?

I don't see how Bowen guarding Jordan is that big of a site to see. He couldn't **** with him one on one, much like he can't now, and help would have to come. As MJ still drops 30 on 48+%. Manu couldn't **** with Pippen one on one, and Pippen would slow down or stop either Parker or Manu and Jordan the other. The Worm would make Duncan atleast work, aswell as the doubles they threw at him.

The Spurs would compete due to their total team D, but still. 6 at best.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by Y2Gezee
    I don't see how Bowen guarding Jordan is that big of a site to see. He couldn't **** with him one on one, much like he can't now, and help would have to come. As MJ still drops 30 on 48+%. Manu couldn't **** with Pippen one on one, and Pippen would slow down or stop either Parker or Manu and Jordan the other. The Worm would make Duncan atleast work, aswell as the doubles they threw at him.

The Spurs would compete due to their total team D, but still. 6 at best.
    That's part of the reason I'd like to see it. There's no way Bowen is stopping Jordan, but I'd love to see him try. Bruce would do his best to frustrate him and get him out of his zone for sure (much like in the picture I posted up). It would be one of the best perimeter defenders today vs. arguably the best basketball player ever. Would be a good head-to-head battle in my opinion. More so than, say, Bowen vs. Anthony/Bryant/James/Wade, etc. And on the flipside, I'd rather watch Jordan guarded by Bowen, rather than Bell/Artest/Battier/etc. Something about Bowen, with his pesky defense, just gets under a player's skin. Would Jordan be able to keep his cool? Would he get physical on the defensive end too? etc. Alot of controversy surrounding Bowen, not exactly a low-profile player.