P5 royal takes the cake of recent rpgs.

Ocarina of time is obviously the goat.
    finna give Persona 5 another try

I wasn't feeling it the first few hrs n quit. Maybe worth another spin

Default Re: What are the best RPGs?

Quote Originally Posted by LAmbruh View Post
    finna give Persona 5 another try

I wasn't feeling it the first few hrs n quit. Maybe worth another spin
    Yup first palace is mainly just cut scenes and having your hand held. The next 90 hours the game opens up and is a great experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFonzworth View Post
    Yup first palace is mainly just cut scenes and having your hand held. The next 90 hours the game opens up and is a great experience.
    okay i'll retry that before I get into Fallout 4, I never played a fallout game either

okay i'll retry that before I get into Fallout 4, I never played a fallout game either
    I tried fallout 4 for a bit, couldn't get hooked. Skyrim with guns but the atmosphere seemed way less engaging. A lot of cool stuff like settlements I couldn't make my way to apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfonzworth View Post
    i tried fallout 4 for a bit, couldn't get hooked. Skyrim with guns but the atmosphere seemed way less engaging. A lot of cool stuff like settlements i couldn't make my way to apparently.
    yea im trying fallout 4 now, it's too easy to die on there. But its fun

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

I tried Fallout:New Vegas when it was first released, but I gave up on it because it was so buggy it was unplayable. It and all of the DLC was on sale on Steam a while ago, and I decided to give it another try.

Definitely be best Fallout game out there, probably because it wasn't developed by Bethesda. There's a really robust modding community out there too, so you can install mods that make the game more stable, improve the graphics quality, and a bunch of other stuff. For a game that's over ten years old, it's definitely worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by baudkarma View Post
    I tried Fallout:New Vegas when it was first released, but I gave up on it because it was so buggy it was unplayable. It and all of the DLC was on sale on Steam a while ago, and I decided to give it another try.

Definitely be best Fallout game out there, probably because it wasn't developed by Bethesda. There's a really robust modding community out there too, so you can install mods that make the game more stable, improve the graphics quality, and a bunch of other stuff. For a game that's over ten years old, it's definitely worth a try.
    the final boss on new vegas is hard to beat on easy lol

For whatever reason I prefer RPGS in that classic top down, 2D sprite based style. I see a picture of those games and I automatically know what they are. I like shit like Final Fantasy 6(3), Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, etc.

Good college starter

Figure I'd add Tale of Wuxia to the list.

If you don't mind obvious errors like some text boxes not containing the text, laughably bad Google Translate dialogue, and an oriental sensibility that apologizes for emperors the interesting combination of visual novel, character development, isometric turn based combat and time-limited exploration is very well done.

If anyone has played Scroll of Taiwu or Amazing Cultivation Simulator I'd like to know how they compare.

Feel like "RPG" has a different meaning today than it did 25 years ago.

Growing up games like ChronoTrig, Final Fantasy and those turn based jap games were the only titles defined as RPG's. EVen Mario had a turn based rpg for snes

Somewhere along the way it evolved, nowadays ppl just recreate their own definition of what a role playing game is.

Anyone ever play those 70's-80's tabletop RPG pen n paper games?

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
    Feel like "RPG" has a different meaning today than it did 25 years ago.

Growing up games like ChronoTrig, Final Fantasy and those turn based jap games were the only titles defined as RPG's. EVen Mario had a turn based rpg for snes

Somewhere along the way it evolved, nowadays ppl just recreate their own definition of what a role playing game is.

Anyone ever play those 70's-80's tabletop RPG pen n paper games?
    That's why I say ....to me..... what I personally always think of when it comes to RPGs are those titles you listed. The more modern takes like Witcher may technically conform to whatever the definition of 'RPG' is but they're their own beasts in some ways.

Anything that looks like this you know to be an RPG:

This looks like a standard action game that you'd have to play to know it has your typical RPG levelling up/progression systems:

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    That's why I say ....to me..... what I personally always think of when it comes to RPGs are those titles you listed. The more modern takes like Witcher may technically conform to whatever the definition of 'RPG' is but they're their own beasts in some ways.

Anything that looks like this you know to be an RPG:

This looks like a standard action game that you'd have to play to know it has your typical RPG levelling up/progression systems:
    Exactly

Not that it matters either, but it's confusing when people say game is "a RPG" when most of the time it's a "_______ or _____ or ______ type game with RPG elements"

That said, I love games with RPG elements but I rarely ever get into true JRPG games anymore

Last edited by scuzzy; 06-30-2021 at 01:02 AM.

Decent college freshman RogueBorg's Avatar

Wasteland

Saw a basketball once

Not into RPG's but people rave about that game Persona 5 vex 5
    Im a fan of fighting shooters and sports games

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

You got Lebron's great great great grandson, cyborg VC, Bill Cosby, Shazam etc.