Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default What are the best RPGs?

I used to be fairly familiar with some of the older ones but haven't really kept up.

I recently played Persona 4 which was pretty good and am tempted to take a look again at what else might be out there.

The ones I would list as good from way back are

Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II in the US)
    Final Fantasy VI (Final Fantasy III in the US)
    Zelda: A Link to the Past
    The Secret of Mana
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Uncharted Waters
    The Ur-Quan Masters (Star Control II)

A tier below I would say are

Skyrim
    Chrono Trigger
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Final Fantasy IX
    Baldur's Gate
    Mass Effect
    Mass Effect 2
    The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
    The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt
    Last edited by Stephonit; 09-08-2018 at 11:22 AM.

Default Re: What are the best RPGs?

Not into RPG's but people rave about that game Persona 5

Chrono Trigger GOAT RPG

Persona 5 has a loooot of good reviews and hype
    I haven

1. Mass Effect 2
    2. Skyrim
    3. Mass Effect
    4. Oblivion
    5. Fallout New Vegas
    6. Dragon Age Origins
    7. The Witcher (all of em)
    8. Mass Effect 3
    9. Morrowind
    10. rest of the Fallouts

I grew up in the 90s with nes / snes... but nah m8 never could get into those FF / Chrono Trigger games, thought it was boring, chrono trigger had its moments but didnt keep me seated, i was more of a Mario Kart, NBA Jam and Contra with friends guy.... but i do agree they are better than the new FF games...

inindo : way of the ninja was a very good underappreciated snes turn-based rpg. it was very primitive in comparison to what we have now, but if you're a hardcore you'd prob enjoy it.

surprisingly mario rpg was also very good for what it was.

i'm currently playing divinity 2 and it's really something else. the combat is on point, but there's too much emphasis on the story. lots if reading, choices, etc. but when u get to the battles they're really rewarding on hard difficulty.

i couldn't get into skyrim. too mainstream/mass appeal and the combat left a lot to be desired.

the dark souls series is my all-time fav. it's more of an action rpg, but the combat is super on point. it really challenges u. a lot of the boss fights are unreal. the second iteration in the series was a litte disappointing, but the first and third are incredible.

I've played countless rpgs and the best is The Witcher 3, without a doubt. In fact, it might be the greatest game ever made (rdr2 is right there).

A lot of these are Adventure games with many RPG elements, but I personally wouldn't call them RPGs. I understand most people don't agree with me.

Anyway, some of my favorites RPGs include Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FF6, FF8, and FF9.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    A lot of these are Adventure games with many RPG elements, but I personally wouldn't call them RPGs. I understand most people don't agree with me.

Anyway, some of my favorites RPGs include Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, FF6, FF8, and FF9.

You have great taste, you should play DQXI it

Very good NBA starter

The Zelda games are action rpgs.

Ocarina of Time is the best game I ever played on any platform and most people seem to agree it's the best game ever. I can't tell you how great it was to be a teenager and play it on Christmas holiday!

Chrono Trigger is the best of the Japanese style rpgs I've played. I think Final Fantasy 7 was too confusing, though great atmosphere and music.

Morrowind was MIND BLOWN when I first played it. I think it is better than Skyrim in its story and lore. Skyrim is the best overall though.

A newer RPG I've played is The Walking Dead, which I found really captivating. A new take on the "point and click" rpgs of the early 90s.

[QUOTE=macmac]You have great taste, you should play DQXI it

my favoritemodern RPGs are Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Witcher 3, FFXV, Fallout (new vegas is the GOAT but 4 was solid), and Path of Exile (the true successor to diablo 2).

On my all-time rankings I have to pick ff7 first. It might not actually be the "best" RPG, but it occupies such an important part of my childhood, and it was the first RPG that I really got fully invested in... that game will always have a very special place in my heart. Other deserving options are FF3, FF8, FF9, Chrono Trigger, Morrowind, Diablo 2, Baldurs Gate, and vanilla WoW.
    Last edited by Nanners; 03-02-2019 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    my favoritemodern RPGs are Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Witcher 3, FFXV, Fallout (new vegas is the GOAT but 4 was solid), and Path of Exile (the true successor to diablo 2).

On my all-time rankings I have to pick ff7 first. It might not actually be the "best" RPG, but it occupies such an important part of my childhood, and it was the first RPG that I really got fully invested in... that game will always have a very special place in my heart. Other deserving options are FF3, FF8, FF9, Chrono Trigger, Morrowind, Diablo 2, Baldurs Gate, and vanilla WoW.
    Kingdom Come looks so good, I know I'll love it. Going to pick it up after I beat Sekiro or Days Gone.

Also a game like Dues Ex is way more an rpg than Final fantasy because it actually allows a wide berth of freedom for solving situations.

Try Persona 5, dude. Best Jrpg I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat View Post
    The Zelda games are action rpgs.

Ocarina of Time is the best game I ever played on any platform and most people seem to agree it's the best game ever. I can't tell you how great it was to be a teenager and play it on Christmas holiday!

Chrono Trigger is the best of the Japanese style rpgs I've played. I think Final Fantasy 7 was too confusing, though great atmosphere and music.

Morrowind was MIND BLOWN when I first played it. I think it is better than Skyrim in its story and lore. Skyrim is the best overall though.

A newer RPG I've played is The Walking Dead, which I found really captivating. A new take on the "point and click" rpgs of the early 90s.
    i have to agree with orcarina of time, by far the best game ive ever played. chrono trigger and mass effect 1 is up there too

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Manny98's Avatar

1. Witcher 3 (GOAT game)
    2. Dragon Age Origins

I'll get around to playing FF7 & Mass Effect when I have the time

Skyrim is overrated, Oblivion was fun

Hate Fallout

If Pokemon counts then it's easily a top 5 RPG series ever

P5 royal takes the cake of recent rpgs.

Ocarina of time is obviously the goat.