Thread: Roma

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Default Roma

Let's discuss.

This isn't a film for everyone as it's a non-traditional film. It's a slow film that doesn't have much of a plot. It doesn't have grandiose moments of drama. It has little exposition. So I wouldn't recommend this film for the general casual viewer.

But it is a film for the film lover that appreciates the 'art' of storytelling.

Some will dismiss it as Oscar bait, but this isn't. It doesn't romanticize or try to manipulate your thoughts and emotions. This film doesn't attempt to be art house for the sake of being artsy. This film is actually the opposite of what makes a film Oscar bait. On the surface it appears that it's Oscar bait due to it being a period piece and shot on black and white, but it's something more under the surface.

Obviously this film reminds you of other Cuaron films such as 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' and 'Children of Men'. But it also reminds me of the French film 'Cache'. Long slow shots that invite you in to be part of their world.

Most are saying it's Cuaron's best work and it should win The Oscar for best picture. Others are even going further by calling it one of the greatest films of all time (possibly).

Thoughts???

Default Re: Roma

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I’ll check it out with the parents on Christmas Day
    It's slow and long.

There is a shot of a p*nis.

It is however a movie about 'life' without being melodramatic. A film we can all relate to on some level.

Just thought you'd know before sitting there for over 2 hours.

been a shit year for quality film overall. but this looks great. will come back to discuss once i've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBlackDude
    been a shit year for quality film overall. but this looks great. will come back to discuss once i've seen it.
    It's in the details.

It doesn't let you really salivate properly as it keeps moving. But like a good meal, the taste lingers on after the meal and you're transported back to how good everything was.

I've been thinking about the film since I saw it yesterday.

I understood the technical aspects and why it was hailed so much, but didn't appreciate how 'human' and real it was until afterwards. That's because it doesn't let you by design. But you'll think about it afterwards, just how 'Children of Men' haunted the shit out of me weeks and months after I saw it.

The wife watched it and was pretty meh about it...then again she's a chick and lets be honest, most women have bad taste when it comes to movies

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    The wife watched it and was pretty meh about it...then again she's a chick and lets be honest, most women have bad taste when it comes to movies
    It

credits are rolling as i type this. really liked it, well shot. really felt sorry for cleo and for the mom as well. scene at the beach really brought everything together tho, i can see why they chose that as the cover.

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

Ya think the Red States will line up to see it?
    BWAWAHAHAHAHA!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Just watched it. Really good film.

NBA Superstar

Best film of the year IMO.

Completely lets you in to the life of someone who you would never think about had you not seen it.

Gonna give it a try, have some time on my hands with the kids over at the ranch with their aunts so...also, in case anyone is wondering and they don't explain it in the movie, the title is taken from the colonia Roma in Mexico City.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Gonna give it a try, have some time on my hands with the kids over at the ranch with their aunts so...also, in case anyone is wondering and they don't explain it in the movie, the title is taken from the colonia Roma in Mexico City.
    Some people were confused and were trying to draw parallels between Rome and the film. Some were even stating that they were ripping off Fellini.

Like you mentioned, Roma is a Colonia in Mexico City where the director grew up. Matter of fact that is the home where he grew up. Same neighbourhood and home that he grew up.