Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Raw skill: Most skilled players of all-time

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    Kobe
    Kobe's mid-range isn't on MJ's level - the stats show that very clearly

Kobe can't finish at the rim like MJ, and his hangtime doesn't compare - just an inferior shot-maker at the rim.. not close tbh

Kobe's post game is inferior

And MJ is a better combo leaper (goat-level off one or 2 legs)

The only area where Kobe compares is handle, but if I had to choose, I'd take MJ's because he did things with the ball that Kobe can only dream of

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Kobe's mid-range isn't on MJ's level - the stats show that very clearly

Kobe can't finish at the rim like MJ, and his hangtime doesn't compare - just an inferior shot-maker at the rim.. not close tbh

Kobe's post game is inferior

And MJ is a better combo leaper (goat-level off one or 2 legs)

The only area where Kobe compares is handle, but if I had to choose, I'd take MJ's because he did things with the ball that Kobe can only dream of

i think mj had a slightly better turn around mid range jumper cause he could create more space on his fade

kobes one dribble pull up mid range however was more on point. the more verticality kobe got the better his shot was IMO

kobes post game was actually really effective.. early on his athleticism would allow him to just turn around and lay it in... later on he perfected a floater/hook with either hand ... i'd say at their peaks they're pretty equal

kobes handle was much better. he free lanced and changed direction/ did massive cross overs/between the leg moves/spin dribbles/reverse pivots/behind the backs.

kobe was just more polished offensively. his difficult shot making ability is second to none. his ability to recover anywhere on the floor and make a shot from 30-40 feet was something jordan didn't even think of trying..

i think jordan had bigger hands, was stronger, could jump higher, run faster, had a better finish inside. had more dominant on ball defense...but after that they're equal in everything or kobe has the advantage

jordans the goat. kobes the most skilled... pierce/rose/billups had it correct with that one

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffen
    i think mj had a slightly better turn around mid range jumper cause he could create more space on his fade

kobes one dribble pull up mid range however was more on point. the more verticality kobe got the better his shot was IMO

kobes post game was actually really effective.. early on his athleticism would allow him to just turn around and lay it in... later on he perfected a floater/hook with either hand ... i'd say at their peaks they're pretty equal

kobes handle was much better. he free lanced and changed direction/ did massive cross overs/between the leg moves/spin dribbles/reverse pivots/behind the backs.

kobe was just more polished offensively. his difficult shot making ability is second to none. his ability to recover anywhere on the floor and make a shot from 30-40 feet was something jordan didn't even think of trying..

i think jordan had bigger hands, was stronger, could jump higher, run faster, had a better finish inside. had more dominant on ball defense...but after that they're equal in everything or kobe has the advantage

jordans the goat. kobes the most skilled... pierce/rose/billups had it correct with that one
    I have no qualms with Kobe being the most skilled... Even MJ said Kobe could beat him because he saw someone in Kobe that was using the best moves and style (goat style)

I do think Pierce thinks MJ is the most skilled, but didn't get to say it on that show.. he said Kobe was "up there", but didn't say he was over MJ for sure.. he got cut off when he was about to say MJ, I believe.

But again, I have no issue with Kobe as most skilled... I think MJ's athleticism often combined with his near-goat skill to make some plays on another level from Kobe's capability.... but as far as raw skill, Kobe wins
    Last edited by 3ball; 01-05-2019 at 01:42 AM.

Iverson over Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    Shooting is the most fundamental, and most important skill in basketball.

Steph Curry is better at shooting than anyone else, ever... and seemingly by a wide margin.

He dominates a league with guys like KD, LeBron, Giannis... absolute freak athlete giants, in the body of a regular, lean, athletic dude. If we're talking just skill, Curry is probably #1

and Kobe
    Curry is high up there for sure but basketball is much more than just shooting you have to factor in everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph_i_el
    No Earl Boykins?

Gtfo
    gtfoh you hipster

I rule the local playground DocSlam's Avatar

Did I scroll through this thread too quickly and completely miss Penny Hardaway's name??

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocSlam
    Did I scroll through this thread too quickly and completely miss Penny Hardaway's name??

You didn't see it cause it wasn't listed. Surprising since the OP has Penny as his avi.

No worries tho, I included him.

Best blends of shooting ability, handles, and passing as a package for their position:

PG - Curry

SG- Harden

SF- KD (crazy how his all around game evolved over the years!)

PF- Bird (cheating a bit. But the PF position doesn't really have pure shooters who had great handles AND great passing ability. Plus Bird played a lot of PF in his career). Dirk had the shooting of course. And pretty good handle for a 7 foot PF. But he lacked the passing. Webb, Barkley, and KG lack the three point shooting.

C- Boogie
    Last edited by bizil; 01-05-2019 at 03:07 PM.

I usually hit open layups

Jason Kidd has to be in discussion for top 10

Bird should be higher on that list.

Curry is definitely #1

Jordan might not even crack the top 10, Lebron isn't even close to the top 10

Quote Originally Posted by kkb_12
    Jason Kidd has to be in discussion for top 10
    lol

NBA rookie of the year

Jordan is the most skilled player of all time. A couple of very rare guys like Bird are in that conversation, but I always laugh when I hear Kobe mentioned. Kobe in terms of individual isolation offense is one of the most skilled ever, yes. But Jordan's post game and off-ball game DESTROY Kobe's, and then Jordan also had skill edges in passing, rebounding, and shooting inside 22 feet.

The very, very few guys who ACTUALLY compare to MJ skill-wise offensively (really, I think only Bird does because like Jordan he did it on and off the ball, and in the post; Jordan's isolation game was stronger than Bird's, though) aren't there defensively.

People who suggest that a guy like Kobe was more skilled than Jordan are simply not looking at total skill-set in all facets of the game, but only a narrow portion - namely, 1-on-1 offensive skill. But at least saying Kobe is more skilled than Jordan is not as egregious as saying Lebron or Harden are. Kobe was a much more skilled offensive player than Harden.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Jordan is the most skilled player of all time. A couple of very rare guys like Bird are in that conversation, but I always laugh when I hear Kobe mentioned. Kobe in terms of individual isolation offense is one of the most skilled ever, yes. But Jordan's post game and off-ball game DESTROY Kobe's, and then Jordan also had skill edges in passing, rebounding, and shooting inside 22 feet.

The very, very few guys who ACTUALLY compare to MJ skill-wise offensively (really, I think only Bird does because like Jordan he did it on and off the ball, and in the post; Jordan's isolation game was stronger than Bird's, though) aren't there defensively.

People who suggest that a guy like Kobe was more skilled than Jordan are simply not looking at total skill-set in all facets of the game, but only a narrow portion - namely, 1-on-1 offensive skill. But at least saying Kobe is more skilled than Jordan is not as egregious as saying Lebron or Harden are. Kobe was a much more skilled offensive player than Harden.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tXvMriU0Y&t=22s