Default Yamaha DGX 660 Portable Grand

just bought one of these bad boys for my girlfriend bc she wants to learn the piano

only I'm falling in love with the thing

could easily see it overtaking the guitar as my primary instrument in time

any piano players on here? anyone ever play/own the dgx 660?

Default Re: Yamaha DGX 660 Portable Grand

Not a piano player, but that it's so intuitive, selfexplanatory, if I sit down for an hour on one I basically come up with a few songs.

I think it's THE instrument to write songs on.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Not a piano player, but that it's so intuitive, selfexplanatory, if I sit down for an hour on one I basically come up with a few songs.

I think it's THE instrument to write songs on.
    what's your musical background?

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus
    what's your musical background?
    Playing bass guitar.

Playing bass guitar.
    pleasantly vague

thanks for knowing enough theory to even say that about a piano. too many bassists and guitar players out there who refuse to actually learn music as a language

pleasantly vague

thanks for knowing enough theory to even say that about a piano. too many bassists and guitar players out there who refuse to actually learn music as a language
    Basically at 10 years of age schools in my country split up into

"Mainschool", it's for the not so good pupils
    "Middleschool", the inbetweeners
    and "Gymnasium" for the smarter children.
    Also Gymnasium is devided into public, private schools and some dedicated music schools.

Any gymnasium pupil, even at the public level gets a formal theoretical, historical and, for the interested, practical musical education from age 10 on until the age of 16.

After that I stopped for quite some time, but restarted at the age of 24 and the background obviously helped some.

I just think the layout of a piano makes theory easier to grasp than let's say a guitar.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

pleasantly vague

Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten two mount rushmore bassists were/are into the "music is a language" mentality. Jaco was also huge on being able to read music and often stressed the importance of it.

I've been playing bass for 18 years and i absolutely regret not learning how to play piano first.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    Jaco Pastorius and Victor Wooten two mount rushmore bassists were/are into the "music is a language" mentality. Jaco was also huge on being able to read music and often stressed the importance of it.

I've been playing bass for 18 years and i absolutely regret not learning how to play piano first.
    I don't regret it, but I'll get an 88 key akai midi controller asap.
    I want to broaden my horizon with it.

I can read music in bass key(ha had to check in english it's bass clef), but can't sight read anymore. Violin(and treble clef) key I'll always have to transpose in my mind. Should practice this more.

I just think the layout of a piano makes theory easier to grasp than let's say a guitar.
    I would say that is not even up for debate. Learning to read music and learning the piano go hand in hand.

It is interesting though how on a guitar, there is no intrinsic difference between notes, physically. Everything is far easier to transpose since scale patterns are the same in any key... so if I take a song in B flat and i wanna transpose it to B, all I do is slide my hand up a fret and carry along like nothing happened. Whereas on a piano, a change from B flat to B requires a completely different set of motions.

When I asked about your musical background, to have said "Well for starters I live in Vienna" would have been completely justified. Just to be in a place with such a musical tradition counts for something.

When I asked about your musical background, to have said "Well for starters I live in Vienna" would have been completely justified. Just to be in a place with such a musical tradition counts for something.
    Haha, but nah most kids ignore it. There's little contemporary musical tradition and it's hard to get adolescents into classical music, even when as said it's part of our education.

Personally I'd like to go to the State Opera, but Stones VIP tickets are more affordable than going to the top operas. La Traviata next week cheapest ticket 113

I had a friend growing up who had an actual grand piano in his house. Needless to say his house was huge. I grew up with a Casio keyboard from as young as I can remember until it fell apart some time in junior high. I had picked up quite a bit myself until taking some formal training. I ended up giving up on it all though for "muh studies". My dad was an avid acoustic guitarist in his youth and I love music as well. Though I feel I'm too old to really the guitar now even though I always wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    I had a friend growing up who had an actual grand piano in his house. Needless to say his house was huge. I grew up with a Casio keyboard from as young as I can remember until it fell apart some time in junior high. I had picked up quite a bit myself until taking some formal training. I ended up giving up on it all though for "muh studies". My dad was an avid acoustic guitarist in his youth and I love music as well. Though I feel I'm too old to really the guitar now even though I always wanted to.
    Just do it. Never too old for that.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    You're probably too old to become some big rock star, but no one is ever too old to learn to jam. That's a lame excuse.

What kind of music do you like? You could probably learn to play it on guitar faster than you think.