Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Who is the worst current player you feel can be the best player on a champion?

I’m going to try to minimize bringing up my basic issue with the entire concept of having to have some all timer to win when there have been several exceptions that just make it unlikely and not impossible. I mean....if you say your friend can’t **** a 10....but he did? Then you were wrong. Doesn’t matter she was on the rebound, kinda likes dad bods, and both of you were drinking. You don’t get it “But it was a fluke”. Winning is usually unlikely which is why guys as amazing as Kareem and Jordan play a combined 35 years and win 12 rings and we gush over it.

A run of the mill all star supported by 8 borderline stars can win a ring. A dozen things could help. Injury. Hot shooting. Coaching. If you do much as make a conference finals you “can” win off two of the right rolled ankles. The other teams best player does go down in the finals. Magic got hurt in the finals and got swept because of it. The Hawks have a title because Russell got hurt. Durant last year. It happens.

You can “Sucks for you....” your way into a ring by being even close to a title level squad. Anyway....I said I wouldn’t go too far into that didn’t I?

So let’s keep it basic from there.

Who do you think can win it all as a teams best player?

Not who makes it likely with the ideal cast.

Who are the people you can see winning a well deserved “Clearly the best player on this team” finals mvp?

Or if a list is too much work....give me the worst player you can see doing it.

Worst possible best player on a title team.

Pretty simple. Give me the guy.

NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Who is the worst current player you feel can be the best player on a champion?

Kawhi, Lebron are the two i can see clearly winning a finals MVP as best player.

Harden, Giannnis, Westbrook, Anthony Davis, Tatum, Paul George, Embiid i can see all having long shots at finals MVP.

Default Re: Who is the worst current player you feel can be the best player on a champion?

Lillard
    Siakam

Chris Paul

Don't like putting him "worst" on anything BUT if you throw him onto Boston, for example? I could see them ringing while being their best player.

Say what you want though, of the last 30 or so champs, they've almost ALWAYS had a top 3-5 player leading the charge, the only exceptions being the '04 Pistons & '14 Spurs. Outside of those teams, it's been

Jordan
    Hakeem
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Wade
    KG
    Kobe
    Dirk
    LeBron
    Curry
    Durant
    Kawhi

A list of players I doubt anyone would dispute is the absolute best that the league has to offer

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    Say what you want though, of the last 30 or so champs, they've almost ALWAYS had a top 3-5 player leading the charge, the only exceptions being the '04 Pistons & '14 Spurs. Outside of those teams, it's been

Jordan
    Hakeem
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Wade
    KG
    Kobe
    Dirk
    LeBron
    Curry
    Durant
    Kawhi

A list of players I doubt anyone would dispute is the absolute best that the league has to offer

No sense putting the “always” in bold when the “almost” makes it untrue.

There being exceptions means it isn’t a rule. It’s maybe....a loose guideline.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

LeBron
    Durant
    Curry
    Harden
    Giannis
    Embiid
    Westbrook
    Jokic
    Kawhi
    Lillard
    Davis
    Butler
    Paul
    Siakam
    George

Some of these guys are "sidekicks" right now but I'm talking ability, that if you run their careers 20 times that there is a viable chance at least 1 of those scenarios ends with a ring. Davis likely will surpass LeBron in the next year or two and could be the Magic to LeBron's Kareem.

Tatum will be on the list in the future but right now he and Walker are more like 1a/1b.

As for likely cases:

LeBron
    Durant
    Curry
    Harden
    Giannis
    Embiid
    Kawhi
    Davis
    Paul

Off the top of my head I'm thinking Lillard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    No sense putting the “always” in bold when the “almost” makes it untrue.

There being exceptions means it isn’t a rule. It’s maybe....a loose guideline.
    It's extremely rare that a BITW candidate doesn't win the title bruh. Bring it back to the 80's, you'd have 4 instances out of 40 where a player in the argument for best in the league didn't walk away with the title. My issue with your argument is you make it out to seem that it happens more frequently than it does, it happens at a pace of once a decade, and in the instances it's happened recently ('04 & '14), it's been on the back of a collective team effort where no individual player stuck out, not the case of someone like PG or Dame leading the way

If you get robbed at gunpoint every ten years....it’s not accurate to say you almost never get robbed. Most people never get robbed at all. Being robbed now and then....is a lot.

Jokic Stan

Gonna go with a darkhorse here...Luka.

Good college starter Charlie Sheen's Avatar

Gobert. That Jazz poster has convinced me. Not even trolling

National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855 View Post
    If you get robbed at gunpoint every ten years....it’s not accurate to say you almost never get robbed. Most people never get robbed at all. Being robbed now and then....is a lot.
    If a thief enters your house every year and chooses not to rob you and just gets out 9 times out of 10 they almost never rob you. This is a better analogy imo.

National High School Star Akeem34TheDream's Avatar

Btw I would say Jokic. He is a team enhancer kind of guy. Makes players around him better.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeem34TheDream View Post
    If a thief enters your house every year and chooses not to rob you and just gets out 9 times out of 10 they almost never rob you. This is a better analogy imo.

Having had my house broken into twice since 2002 I assure you I’d never think to say I almost never have a break in.