Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99 View Post
    Hey I'm happy to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Hey I'm happy to be wrong.

You werent!

You were right. Congrats.

Djoker was definitely on his way outta here.

Not just yet, Carlos. You may be the next big thing, but The Djoker is still the man.

I guess I can't really shit on Carlitos too much, Djokovic was retiring matches when he was young as well. And then he went gluten free and joined the goats. Not that Alcaraz retired but he couldn't move.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Not just yet, Carlos. You may be the next big thing, but The Djoker is still the man.
    didnt look like it last night!

Alcaraz definitely the top man now

I asked this same question 2 years ago, anyone think he's pulling off the grand slam? While extremely difficult, I think he's got a legit shot, esp without him playing the Olympics this time.

No chance.

Alcaraz gonna be the favorite at the USO and maybe even on grass at this point.

Too many other great payers.

The only reason he won FO is cause Alcaraz got cramps.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    No chance.

Alcaraz gonna be the favorite at the USO and maybe even on grass at this point.

Too many other great payers.

The only reason he won FO is cause Alcaraz got cramps.
    You said no chance last time and he came within a win of pulling it off, so claiming he has no chance to do it is an exaggeration imo.

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    You said no chance last time and he came within a win of pulling it off, so claiming he has no chance to do it is an exaggeration imo.
    Yeah youre prob right lol

I asked this same question 2 years ago, anyone think he's pulling off the grand slam? While extremely difficult, I think he's got a legit shot, esp without him playing the Olympics this time.
    Probably wins Wimbledon but not the USO.

I think he drops off hard after this year. Maybe wins one more and finishes up on 25ish.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking View Post
    Probably wins Wimbledon but not the USO.

I think he drops off hard after this year. Maybe wins one more and finishes up on 25ish.
    I'm curious why you think that. Over the last 3.5 years his only losses have been to Nadal at the French twice, a DQ, and the loss to Medvedev when he was clearly spent. He's still dominating the field as much as he ever has. I know he obv has to fall off at some point, but barring injury, I could see him winning majors for the next 3-4 years. Due to covid & the vaccine mandate he's frankly unlucky he already isn't at 25.

I'm curious why you think that. Over the last 3.5 years his only losses have been to Nadal at the French twice, a DQ, and the loss to Medvedev when he was clearly spent. He's still dominating the field as much as he ever has. I know he obv has to fall off at some point, but barring injury, I could see him winning majors the next 3-4 years. Due to covid & the vaccine he's frankly unlucky he already isn't at 25.
    Mainly because athletes fall off steeply at an advanced age. Yes - he has managed older age as an athlete better than any in sports history - but we've seen it with LeBron lately and even Ronaldo. Ronaldo more so. Was dominating still at club level, then World Cup came and he was a little off, then he was off in Saudi leagues...
    Bron too. Looking fine, one little set back, then playoffs came along, looking fine, but eventually you get to the top of the top and you just can't hang. It only gets worse from here.

Same will happen to Djokovic. Reach a SF, shock loss, people brush it off, then he stops reaching them.

I mean - I agree with your point. If he keeps this level up, he can play for another 3-4 years and win somewhat consistently. I just think there is no way this level sustains. He drops sharp and quick like just about any other athlete ever.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking View Post
    Mainly because athletes fall off steeply at an advanced age. Yes - he has managed older age as an athlete better than any in sports history - but we've seen it with LeBron lately and even Ronaldo. Ronaldo more so. Was dominating still at club level, then World Cup came and he was a little off, then he was off in Saudi leagues...
    Bron too. Looking fine, one little set back, then playoffs came along, looking fine, but eventually you get to the top of the top and you just can't hang. It only gets worse from here.

Same will happen to Djokovic. Reach a SF, shock loss, people brush it off, then he stops reaching them.

I mean - I agree with your point. If he keeps this level up, he can play for another 3-4 years and win somewhat consistently. I just think there is no way this level sustains. He drops sharp and quick like just about any other athlete ever.

Bron had an injury though, after which he hasnt been the same since.

It wasnt just the playoffs.

level wise Nole is as good as ever. Actually hitting harder than ever before.

But I could see motivation becoming an issue, especially if he hits 24.

At this point it's actually difficult to make a GOAT argument for anyone other than Novak. He literally has every relevant Open Era record.

He outlasted the other 2. He is the goat, have no problem saying that but it's ridiculous how he's only won more as he got older. Almost as if there was more talent in previous eras.