Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3441424344454647 LastLast
Results 646 to 660 of 692
  1. #646
    ... on a leash ArbitraryWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    I walk a higher path, son
    Posts
    43,990

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Nadal winning the Aussie Open is actually huge! The FO he's won so many times. Winning more on clay won't satisfy naysayers who point to his off-clay record as the reason he isn't GOAT. I still think Nadal is the 3rd best after Novak and Fed but he's closing the gap right now. Like I said, the Aussie win was important for his legacy.

    I predicted Rafa would end up with the most slams so I'm not surprised one bit. I think he reaches at least 25 slams barring a disaster.

  2. #647
    Dunking on everybody in the park
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    696

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Nadal winning the Aussie Open is actually huge! The FO he's won so many times. Winning more on clay won't satisfy naysayers who point to his off-clay record as the reason he isn't GOAT. I still think Nadal is the 3rd best after Novak and Fed but he's closing the gap right now. Like I said, the Aussie win was important for his legacy.

    I predicted Rafa would end up with the most slams so I'm not surprised one bit. I think he reaches at least 25 slams barring a disaster.
    25? Jumping the gun a bit here? With his foot condition he could retire at any moment.

  3. #648
    Knicks all da way imdaman99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    28,506

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    After winning a dramatic quarterfinal, Rafa pulls out of his semi against Kyrgios

    Thanks for the spectacular memories this year though <3 hope he's not done with USO

  4. #649
    Mamba For Life Celtics 1825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,788

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    King Kyrgios to win his first GS at last

  5. #650
    XXL Im Still Ballin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,300

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    The Djok is up to 21 titles now. Federer is now in third place. Never would've thought that would be possible 10-12 years ago.

  6. #651
    Goatbrook SouBeachTalents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24,318

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    The Djok is up to 21 titles now. Federer is now in third place. Never would've thought that would be possible 10-12 years ago.
    How about Sampras being a DISTANT 4th 20 years after he retired That shit would've been inconceivable back in 2002.

  7. #652
    XXL Im Still Ballin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,300

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents View Post
    How about Sampras being a DISTANT 4th 20 years after he retired That shit would've been inconceivable back in 2002.
    Truly incredible. It's amazing that we've had three GOAT contenders all playing in the same era. If they had come up in different eras, people would've hypothesized how they'd have gone up against one another. Luckily, we got to see for ourselves.

    The only exception is that Djokovic and Federer didn't meet each other at their respective peaks. This ELO rating graph says Roger's peak was 2005 to 2008.


  8. #653
    XXL Im Still Ballin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,300

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Peak ELO Rating:

    1. Djokovic (2,692)
    2. Nadal (2,552)
    3. Federer (2,550)

  9. #654
    Verticle? plowking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    We goin' Sizzler
    Posts
    28,492

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin View Post
    Peak ELO Rating:

    1. Djokovic (2,692)
    2. Nadal (2,552)
    3. Federer (2,550)

    All 3 are fantastic, but I truly mean it when I say it isn't close as to who the obvious best is.

    They're all close on slams, and always have been, but Djokovic has every other damn record. Not only that, his level of play is clearly the highest out of all of them. By far, Roger has the prettiest game, but as far as effective for winning matches, it is quite comfortably Novak. On all surfaces.

  10. #655
    College star dankok8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,137

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Novak's GOAT case is getting better and better. I wouldn't say Federer's competition in his prime was bad... young Nadal, older Agassi, Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian... those are some good players. But Novak from 2011-2016 faced a gauntlet.. prime Nadal, prime Murray, not prime but strong Federer, Wawrinka... Most importantly those years it was Novak vs. Rafa both at their best and Novak clearly got the better of him. Outside of clay, it's been a total rout for Novak since 2011. And heck even on clay, Novak has been very competitive against Nadal.

  11. #656
    ... on a leash ArbitraryWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    I walk a higher path, son
    Posts
    43,990

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Novak's GOAT case is getting better and better. I wouldn't say Federer's competition in his prime was bad... young Nadal, older Agassi, Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian... those are some good players. But Novak from 2011-2016 faced a gauntlet.. prime Nadal, prime Murray, not prime but strong Federer, Wawrinka... Most importantly those years it was Novak vs. Rafa both at their best and Novak clearly got the better of him. Outside of clay, it's been a total rout for Novak since 2011. And heck even on clay, Novak has been very competitive against Nadal.


    What a whack generalization of era's lol....

    What gauntlet was there in 2014-16? Gauntlet my ass.

    2014 was super weak and 2015-16 the biggest rival was Murray.

    2008-2012 is another thing but Nadal owned that period.

  12. #657
    Verticle? plowking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    We goin' Sizzler
    Posts
    28,492

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    Novak's GOAT case is getting better and better. I wouldn't say Federer's competition in his prime was bad... young Nadal, older Agassi, Roddick, Hewitt, Safin, Nalbandian... those are some good players. But Novak from 2011-2016 faced a gauntlet.. prime Nadal, prime Murray, not prime but strong Federer, Wawrinka... Most importantly those years it was Novak vs. Rafa both at their best and Novak clearly got the better of him. Outside of clay, it's been a total rout for Novak since 2011. And heck even on clay, Novak has been very competitive against Nadal.
    Weeks at #1: Djokovic has more than 3 full years at #1 over Nadal (372>209)
    Year-end #1: Djokovic has 2 more year-end #1 over Nadal (7>5)
    ATP Finals: Djokovic has 5 more ATP Finals over Nadal (5>0)
    Masters: Djokovic has 2 more Masters over Nadal (38>36)
    Top 5 wins: Djokovic has 109 top 5 wins>Nadal has 90 top 5 wins
    Top 10 wins: Djokovic has 232 top 10 wins>Nadal has 181 top 10 wins
    Top 10 win %: Djokovic 68.84%>Nadal 64.41%
    Top 5 win %: Djokovic 59.80%>Nadal 59.69%
    H2H: Djokovic leads 30-29
    Peak ELO rating: Djokovic #1 all-time (2629); Nadal #4 all-time (2552).

    Anyone with an objective outlook can make a pretty clear analysis...

  13. #658
    College star dankok8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    4,137

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater View Post
    What a whack generalization of era's lol....

    What gauntlet was there in 2014-16? Gauntlet my ass.

    2014 was super weak and 2015-16 the biggest rival was Murray.

    2008-2012 is another thing but Nadal owned that period.
    How in the world was 2014-2016 not a gauntlet?

    Federer was really good in 2014 and 2015. Wawrinka was basically in his peak from late 2013 to early 2017 and he was a tough tough player to play when he's on. He smacked Nadal in the final of 2014 AO after beating Novak. 2014 USO had an upset with Nishikori beating Novak and handing Cilic the title and that's maybe the worst loss of Novak's career but that doesn't make the year weak. Besides Cilic played stupendously well.

    You think facing prime Murray, prime Wawrinka, prime Nadal (although injured at times as usual) and a still good Federer is weak competition? Holy hell you've got some high standards!

    Nadal from 2008-2012 which was the period you cited won 8 slams out of 20 possible but 4 of them were at the FO on clay. He won 4/15 slams off clay. 2010 was weak slam comp that Nadal feasted on. Beat Novak in the final of 2010 USO but his FO and WB wins that year were fairly weak.

  14. #659
    XXL Im Still Ballin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    22,300

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    It's crazy that Federer might become an afterthought... A distant third.

    I just never thought that'd be possible a decade ago.

  15. #660
    ... on a leash ArbitraryWater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    I walk a higher path, son
    Posts
    43,990

    Default Re: The Tennis Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by dankok8 View Post
    How in the world was 2014-2016 not a gauntlet?

    Federer was really good in 2014 and 2015. Wawrinka was basically in his peak from late 2013 to early 2017 and he was a tough tough player to play when he's on. He smacked Nadal in the final of 2014 AO after beating Novak. 2014 USO had an upset with Nishikori beating Novak and handing Cilic the title and that's maybe the worst loss of Novak's career but that doesn't make the year weak. Besides Cilic played stupendously well.

    You think facing prime Murray, prime Wawrinka, prime Nadal (although injured at times as usual) and a still good Federer is weak competition? Holy hell you've got some high standards!

    Nadal from 2008-2012 which was the period you cited won 8 slams out of 20 possible but 4 of them were at the FO on clay. He won 4/15 slams off clay. 2010 was weak slam comp that Nadal feasted on. Beat Novak in the final of 2010 USO but his FO and WB wins that year were fairly weak.

    You don't seem very in tune with 2014.

    2014 had a subpar Federer coming off his worst prime year and adjusting to the new racquet with a shoddy baseline game, Nadal who missed the 2nd half and did not play the US Open, no Del Potro, Murray in his worst prime year after surgery making ZERO tier 1 finals and 1 slam semifinal after THREE 5-setters, it had Djokovic and Wawrinka...

    bright spots was the arrival of Cilic, and then there was Berdych and Ferrer still in the mix. Tsonga had a terrible year.

    2015-16 was paper tigers galore.

    Zero challengers from top 10-onwards so the same but woefully declined top 8 still chugged around getting their rounds, but except a couple Federer vintage performances and Stanimal annual slam peak, there wasn't much to it but Murray.

    There was nothing weak about 2010 WB by the way and at FO his competition is irrelevant, if we're being completely honest.

    Nadal missed much of 2009 and the 2012 USO, otherwise you'd see that slam count rise dramatically. It was clear he was the best but an injury put an end to his #1 reign in '09.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •